Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
zoeydanielle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Blackberry Bold Phone Book with TomTom 720 Issues

Please Login to Remove!

I recently upgraded my BB Pearl to the Bold. We have been using the TomTom 720 in my wife's car, and previously we could sync the Pearl with the TomTom and transfer the Pearl's address book to the TomTom. I can now sync the Bold with the TomTom, and even can get the up to date traffic, but when I sync the Bold's address book with the TomTom, all I get is numbers --NO NAMES. I have seem this thread somewhere else, but without resolution. Can anyone help so that the transfer of the address book includes the names?
Old 01-23-2009, 05:26 AM   #2
arlojwhite

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange

i have the exact same issue with the latest Bold and my tomtom (530 go)... its a real pain as i am on the road and want to dial from the address book in the tomtom, not fiddle with the blackberry and have to wait til i am stopped at a red light...

Latest Bold, with Orange in the UK, if that makes a difference. Any help appreciated. Is the issue with the tomtom or the blackberry???
Old 02-26-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
Mar_le

Model: 8130
Carrier: Proximus

This is the same pain with the 8310 and TomTom Go 930T.By browsing the internet it looks like this is not a GPS device problem,as other people using other GPS devices get similar trouble with BB's.It was working fine with my good old HTC S710
This is driving me nuts as I discovered this bug after half a day owing this phone. Probably is BB support also aware of this. But this is however not described in their FAQ IMHO.

I have discovered a workaround for TomTom, but it is still a long way ...

TomTom saves the address book in contacts.txt located in the Contacts folder. The structure is :
"Name","Phone Number","DEFAULT" with one row per contact.

The bug here is that the Name area is empty (ie ""). So the solution is to modify txt file by adding somehow the name in the row of data.

Of course this is not that obvious. Either you do this manually by editing the txt in Notepad or you do like I did : exporting my address book from Outlook to a CSV file and edit it to make TomTom compliant. This is really NOT for the dummies and demands a couple of hours of working. It is only worth when you have hundreds of phone numbers like I have.And any number you add later in Outlook should preferrably be added manually as well in contacts.txt because doing this export again is much more work than editing the txt directly.

This is working fine, now.

Of course, it is strongly advised to back up contacts.txt before.

Last edited by Mar_le; 02-26-2009 at 02:47 AM..
Old 03-02-2009, 01:15 AM   #4
robertg59

Model: 9000
Carrier: optus

I have been successful at getting the phone list onto the tomtom 720 but am unable to use the hands-free dialing feature.

Have you been able to use the hands-free dialing? If so, what version of the BB and Tomtom software do you have loaded?

I have tomtom 8.002 and BB v4.6.0.92 and can't use the hands-free. The tomtom comes up with "this feature is not supported"

Would really like to sort this out. Thanks
Old 04-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
snooker

Model: bold
Carrier: rogers

please please please let me know how to "I can now sync the Bold with the TomTom, and even can get the up to date traffic" please help
Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
coffaro

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Evey time my tomtom730t conects with my blackberry (sprint 8830 world) the blackberry reboots. Most of the time trafic will work after that and some time I have to pull the battery. In my phone book all I get is numbers and not names. I can live with the phone book but the rebooting thing is driving me nuts.
Closed Thread