Old 03-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #21
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

On your PC go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\

Find the OS version you want to copy the theme out of. In my case I went to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\9700M_v5.0.0.442_P5.1.0.121\Java and copied the following file:

net_rim_theme_tmobile_zen_480x360_b_03.cod

Then I pasted it into C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\9700M_v5.0.0.536_P5.1.0.138\Java (I did go in here first and make a copy of the original and stored it in a folder so that I could easily restore it again if I wanted to. If you don't do this then the only way to restore it is to reinstall the OS to the PC again--not a big deal, though.)

Then after you do that, simply connect the BB and run Loader.exe again. It should show "downgrade" under Core Applications (this is because the theme has the same version as the OS) but leave everything else the same. Hit "Next" and finish the loader process. It should reboot when it's done and you'll have the old theme.

Last edited by John Clark; 03-07-2010 at 10:21 PM..
Old 03-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #22
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAG View Post
Wirelessly posted

Thank you, eLogikal.

I managed to upgrade on another XP machine. Win7 x64 seemed to be giving problems.

Ok, has anyone noticed the following problems with this rom?

1. When a call comes, the name and number shows. However, it doesn't say which number it is (mobile, work, etc)
2. Changing the call volume using the call keys during a call is weird. The volume changes but the volume bar doesn't go up or down. However, when I cut the phone, it shows the actual level for a second before disappearing.
3. The speakerphone is weird as well. Its working fine but when I press the speaker key ($), nothing happens at first but the icon changes to the speaker icon. When I press it again, the speakerphone activates but the icon shows the normal call icon, like when I use the phone by putting it to my ear.

Anyone else experiencing these? Any suggestions?
1. I see that as well. No "Mobile" "Home" etc. I don't recall for sure if the last version was like this or not.

2. I'm not seeing this bug.

3. I'm not seeing this bug either.

For 2 and 3, you might try a different theme.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #23
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I never understood the logic behind the 'standby' feature anyway. Why would you push and hold a 'mute' key to put the device into a standby mode when there is already a dedicated lock feature and, on newer devices, a lock button. I think the combination of these features into the lock button is better thought out. If a password is set on the device then it's a device lock. If no password is set then it's just a keypad lock to prevent accidental dialing. I like it. I like being able to just tap the lock rather than have to push and hold the mute.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:21 AM   #24
PDM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by [IFC]Area51 View Post
Not only this but it has now rendered useless two of my keyboard lock and standby applications.

Auto Standby and addonis are paper weights right now.
AddOnIs Beta for OS5 : www.all4berry.com/ota/AddOnis_50.jad
trying to address the "lock"
Old 03-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #25
[IFC]Area51

Model: 9650
PIN: GU!!!
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM View Post
AddOnIs Beta for OS5 : www.all4berry.com/ota/AddOnis_50.jad
trying to address the "lock"
Tried this beta version and it is indeed working, thank you sir.
8100|8300|8310|8320|8900|9000|9700|9650
Old 03-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #26
PDM

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by [IFC]Area51 View Post
Tried this beta version and it is indeed working, thank you sir.
Good to hear.

There was a new release of the beta posted (as you posted here). Not sure which you installed.

AddOnis for OS5.0 v1.4.8:
1. include all the fix/new function in addonis for OS4.5/4.6
2. Fixed a bug that may cause autostandby not work.
3. support both new style standby mode (long press MUTE key) and old style standby mode (short press LOCK key).
4. new method to detect the call number is in addressbook or not.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #27
purephase

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPearl View Post
Note same here.. Just updated and the K button locks with password. It did not do anything until i set a pwd. now it does what it is supposed to do. * locks without a pwd. i like it. i guess no more stand by.
K doesn't do anything for me as well. I'm fine with that, I just wish the lock button would also password lock the device (mimic the old k button). It is a nice feature, it just needs that little tweak. Alt-enter still works fine though.

Rumour has it that .545 is in the wild. So, we'll probably see that soon.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #28
quillhill

Model: Torch
Carrier: at&t

Loaded this up yesterday morning and trying to get a feel for it. At this point the only thing that is sticking out to me is this whole lock button thing ... I previously had the left convenience key set for that but as that is no longer an option I am trying to adjust to the top button serving the same purpose. Then I will have to decide what to use the left convenience key for since I would hate for it to go to waste.
It's got a full charge as of this morning so now to test battery life. I was on .442 previously and charging every other day, which is pretty good after the 9000, and I'm just kind of getting a feel for this one. I'll have more thoughts in a couple days.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #29
PhoenixAG
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Airtel

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
1. I see that as well. No "Mobile" "Home" etc. I don't recall for sure if the last version was like this or not.

2. I'm not seeing this bug.

3. I'm not seeing this bug either.

For 2 and 3, you might try a different theme.
Thank you for the reply.

1. I definitely know that this was there in .442. And it has also been there in almost every BB OS I have used. I am very used to it as it helps me know where the caller is calling from readily (work, mobile, etc).

2 & 3. This is very strange. I don't know what's causing it. I tried a different theme and guess what, it solved the issues. I am just a bit peeved as I had setup everything the way I like with the default theme.
The volume indicator is not as smooth as it was in .442 (meaning that there is still a delay before it shows the actual level) but it is MUCH improved after I started using a different theme.

And the speakerphone problem is solved. Do you have any idea what could have caused this problem?

EDIT: Btw, I just went back to my original theme (the one I had problems with) and the problems of 2 & 3 are solved over there too!

quillhill: I am experiencing about the same battery life as .442 (or maybe slightly better). Needless to say, I have it on EDGE and it lasts me a full 2 days with heavy usage, if not a little more.

Last edited by PhoenixAG; 03-08-2010 at 05:38 PM..
Old 03-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #30
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Can anyone confirm if Google Sync works properly with this release?

I'm specifically looking for confirmation from a user who meets the following criteria:
~ Has a 9700 on BES
~ [Desktop] calendar on device is syncing wirelessly with Exchange (via BES)
~ Gmail set up as a BIS account
~ Default Calendar on handheld set to [user@gmail.com]
~ Google Sync set up to automatically sync Google calendar with handheld Default Calendar
~ No mixing of calendar entries between Exchange and Google.

So far the only 5.0 OS for the 9700 to have this work properly is 5.0.0.423
Google Sync is broken in every other version.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:12 AM   #31
PhoenixAG
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Airtel

Google sync worked fine for me on .442 as well. I have BES service enabled but am not on a BES currently.
When I synced google sync for the first time with this rom, it added 4 new contacts. I am not sure whether I added those contacts or if they came from somewhere else :(
Otherwise, it seems to work fine.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:33 AM   #32
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAG View Post
Google sync worked fine for me on .442 as well. I have BES service enabled but am not on a BES currently.
When I synced google sync for the first time with this rom, it added 4 new contacts. I am not sure whether I added those contacts or if they came from somewhere else :(
Otherwise, it seems to work fine.
I appreciate the commentary, but your setup isn't even close to what I'm looking for.
You're not activated on BES, you're not wirelessly syncing your calendar OTA to Exchange, and you're talking about contacts which isn't what I was concerned with.

Google Sync is most certainly broken in .442.

Last edited by penguin3107; 03-09-2010 at 06:35 AM..
Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #33
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Alright... this is my rundown of the Lock feature that everyone seems to be confused about. According to RIM documentation, which hasn't changed since the 9700 was launched, the way that the lock feature is designed in this build, is the way that it should have been since the beginning:

Quote:
Lock your device
To perform this task, you must have set a password for your BlackBerry® device.
On the Home screen or in a folder, click the Lock icon.
To unlock your device, type your device password. Press the Enter key.

Lock the keyboard
Press the Lock key on the top of your BlackBerry® device .
To unlock the keyboard, press the Lock key again. If you have set a device password and the security timeout has exceeded, you are prompted
to type your password.
As can be seen, in order to Lock your device with a password, you must first have a password set, and then you must open the Lock application. In order for you to lock the keyboard, without a password lock, you must press the Lock key located on the top of your device.

NOTE: For those of you who are used to pressing a button to Password lock your device, try using the Alt+Enter button combination instead.

Last edited by Raptor464; 03-09-2010 at 08:58 AM..
Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #34
trax95008

what bothers me most, is that im used to hitting * call to unlock it. that doesnt work anymore. also my beiks auto lock doesnt work anymore
Old 03-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #35
antb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I never understood the logic behind the 'standby' feature anyway. Why would you push and hold a 'mute' key to put the device into a standby mode when there is already a dedicated lock feature and, on newer devices, a lock button. I think the combination of these features into the lock button is better thought out. If a password is set on the device then it's a device lock. If no password is set then it's just a keypad lock to prevent accidental dialing. I like it. I like being able to just tap the lock rather than have to push and hold the mute.

Well - standby is different than lock. With or without password. For instance - I can lock my device (I have pw enabled) and my keyboard is still active. I've pocked dialed 911 twice in 2 months and it's nothing for me to pull my phone out and find that I'm on attempt 3/10 for unlocking my phone lol. With Standby - keyboard input is really disabled. Very convenient for when you have to quickly tuck the phone into a pocket or for ladies - purse - without having to worry about the keypad being triggered by the phone being knocked around. It's also convenient when you want to quickly disable the phone and keep anyone from just picking it up and seeing what you're working on (unless they have a blackberry they probably won't find the mute key quickly enough to be nosey and not get caught etc).
Old 03-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #36
quillhill

Model: Torch
Carrier: at&t

The only thing I don't like about using the top lock button is that from a tactile standpoint it just doesn't have as good a response as the left convenience key which I had previously used. It's also a little hard to press correctly with a case on, as well, in my experience. I have a Fortte open face leather case as well as an iFrogz case.

Otherwise, battery life has been good for me. I unplugged at 8 a.m. on Monday and was at 35 percent last night at midnight. That is definitely better than .442, for me, at least. That is with phone calls, e-mails, texts, BBMs and Facebook notifications all day long.
I am finding this to be a smooth, stable and quick beta. I haven't found a glitch yet. Just this new lock button feature that requires adjusting.