Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #181
michaelalanjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: T of Ale, Please!
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

It's cool - I'm not riled up, I just want people to understand that this version is not ready for prime time. I know it is beta, and I wasn't supposed to use it anyway, but beta usually works fine. I have been lucky, before, with all the versions that I have installed.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #182
hahumg
No longer Registered.

PIN: N/A
Carrier: hhh

Here is shown " Error 507" is displayed on device.
please adivise
Old 04-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #183
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

For those who have problems with this release:
I now have this OS runing since 3 days and had zero trouble.
Not a single crash.
The software I use is google maps, nav4all, mobile ssh, bbtracker, klicktel 3.3.
The device is on a BES. Blackberry Browser and Internet browser both work.

Dont expect third party software to work when you make an upgrade to a newer major release Version.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #184
Kimberlee
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Z10
PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: Rogers

I installed version 5 today and could not get it working. What's the trick to get it installed with no hitches. It was a real pain trying to put a lower OS on my bold. It took a few trys, I was really getting nervous that somehow I screwed the bold up for good. But I am back running the stock .162 from Rogers. Any suggestions on how to install and get it working?

Cheers,
Old 04-16-2009, 04:42 AM   #185
CoDudette

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

Didn't someone say that BerryBuzz works on it? I hope it does as i'd really like to make the jump.. but unless Facebook and Live Messenger, Viigo etc work, I can't make the jump!

What about themes? Do they get affected?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #186
quillhill
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Torch
Carrier: at&t

I loaded it up last night with no issues at all. My custom themes from PMB seem to work just fine. Haven't tried out some of the paid themes I have yet.

The usual apps such as Facebook, MySpace, Slacker, BBWeather did not work. I decided to load up Pandora, which does work, and Weather Eye, instead so that's fine. I've heard that Social Scope can be a Facebook substitute so I'm hoping I can get in on that alpha testing at some point. Also my ESPN Mobile Web short cut did not work. That's OK. I can live without that for a while.

My browser works fine. Heck, everything else pretty much works as it should, but the one issues I've encountered is that I can't figure out how to set up my profiles so they work the way I want them to with a vibrate + ring.

So I am pretty happy I took the plunge. It's quite a nice build and everything seems quite zippy.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:18 AM   #187
CoDudette

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

viigo and facebook need to work on it.. and i've got mahjonng (paid for) so i really don't know how that would work? i think i'll just wait for a bit?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #188
kingbear2

As I was downgrading just now I noticed that there is a way to KEEP the current core apps. I was wondering if there would be any reason to do this, and if so, do you guys think it would work. For example, if I like the BBM in 5.0 better than 4.6, can I leave it in there, either by telling the firmware software to leave all old apps there, or to move the appropriate jad/alx/cod files from the 5.0 section into the 4.6 section.

What do you think? Which apps are particularly better in 5.0? Has anyone tried this?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #189
purephase

Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by str3zz View Post
Wirelessly posted

Yeah my browser work just fine after I followed that instruction. There will be internet browser option again and not just hotspot and medianet. It also fix the mms. The only problem is since I have to do that I need to re-send service book my bb map dissapear (damn att) but oh well everything work fine.
My problem wasn't a missing browser it would just hang when I was using it. Turns out that you have to clear the content cache regularly because, once it reaches a certain size, it will freeze when loading pages with cached content.

I did downgrade, but I missed the look and feel of 5 so I went back. I don't use FB so I don't care about that app. Only app I miss is Wallet, but not enough to downgrade.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #190
kingbear2

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase View Post
My problem wasn't a missing browser it would just hang when I was using it. Turns out that you have to clear the content cache regularly because, once it reaches a certain size, it will freeze when loading pages with cached content.

I did downgrade, but I missed the look and feel of 5 so I went back. I don't use FB so I don't care about that app. Only app I miss is Wallet, but not enough to downgrade.
I'm so curious to hear what "look" of 5.0 did you enjoy so much? I sorta liked the new BBM format and maybe I liked the new Call Log format, but neither of them enough to switch back to a buggy firmware like 5.0.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #191
bigwillokc

Model: 9800

Did I never notice it before or is there a new item in the Email menu that says Message Alerts? I have never noticed this and it does nothing when I click it. Has anyone else noticed it or has it always been there? If so, what does it do?
Old 04-18-2009, 06:28 AM   #192
nobody7290

Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillokc View Post
Did I never notice it before or is there a new item in the Email menu that says Message Alerts? I have never noticed this and it does nothing when I click it. Has anyone else noticed it or has it always been there? If so, what does it do?
Yes, this is new.
I guess you should be able to customize your sounds for different types of Messages ( SMS, PIN, Level1 ...). But on my BB it also does nothing.

Also, the "Flag message" option currently is not reflected in outlook. I guess this is a bug/incomplete.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #193
purephase

Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbear2 View Post
I'm so curious to hear what "look" of 5.0 did you enjoy so much? I sorta liked the new BBM format and maybe I liked the new Call Log format, but neither of them enough to switch back to a buggy firmware like 5.0.
It just feels a bit more cohesive and polished. The find bar is standard across all the apps that use it. The rounded edges on the dialogs including the location and search bar in the browser are nice. 4.6 just felt a little less polished.

5 hasn't been that buggy for me. Despite the one browser issue (when the workaround is not that much of an issue) and not having Wallet (which I didn't use that frequently anyway) it has been fine. No reboots or battery pulls. Battery life is fine. Email and BBM are working as expected.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #194
bigwillokc

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody7290 View Post
Yes, this is new.
I guess you should be able to customize your sounds for different types of Messages ( SMS, PIN, Level1 ...). But on my BB it also does nothing.

Also, the "Flag message" option currently is not reflected in outlook. I guess this is a bug/incomplete.
I'm pretty sure you have to be running BES 5.0 to get the follow-up functionality, maybe the same is true with message alerts.....
Old 04-20-2009, 04:26 AM   #195
geolab
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange

HI, I installed the 5.0 @ home and it was catastrophic,
this morning @ work I wiped the unit for the first time, and went back to 247.
At work, I had a two month old bckup file that I used,
I seem to have lost loads of applications etc.
I intend to go home and delete the 5.0 from the PC.
to be able to use yesterday's auto bckup before upgrade to 5.0
As I understand, this is done through control panel , add/remove prog.
If I do this, dont I loose the bckup files I had?
I just want to return my unit to what it was yesterday morning
please advise anyone...

ps, as soon as 5.0 was installed and rebooted, I had the alert that this was a BETA RIM application, different from the classsic alert that the firmware is copyright etc.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #196
DataCentre

Model: 3GS
Carrier: Rogers

IM+ is supposed to work with the new 5.0 beta according to their web site. I went back to .266 because I was really missing my WLM and Yahoo.

If anyone still has 5.0 installed, download the new IM+ 7.0 and see if it works. Please post back with your findings.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #197
kirrinjones

PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Ok, from all my reading, I decide that I will wait a few more months for a more stable release or until Viigo will work with what's out there.

I'm reading this article on BlackBerry Cool (BlackBerry OS 5.0 details roundup | BlackBerry Cool), and wanted to know if anyone knows if we will be able to edit e-mails when we reply or forward e-mails within this 5.0 release?
Old 04-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #198
kingbear2

You wrote:

>>>
I'm reading this article on BlackBerry Cool (BlackBerry OS 5.0 details roundup | BlackBerry Cool), and wanted to know if anyone knows if we will be able to edit e-mails when we reply or forward e-mails within this 5.0 release?
>>>

There is a reason for not being able to edit e-mail on reply or forward. The reason is because when you reply to a message it doesn't create a new message, rather it takes the original message from the server, and attached your response or your forward to it. The reason for that is in case you hadn't downloaded the whole message, or if the message comes out weird on your blackberry, the person won't see that, rather he will see the original unmodified message. Also, in Outlook you will see a icon showing it was replied to or forwarded because of this technique.

On Windows Mobile, you need to click a special link to edit the original e-mail. It then downloads it fully and creates a new e-mail for the reply. Technically RIM could incorporate this feature as well but it would be a major upgrade with a lot of backend programming necessary to make this work.

To combat this, there is an add-on (although I tested it on the bold and as of now it still doesn't work) called "Forward with Edit". This program essentially creates a totally new e-mail with the original e-mail at the bottom, only it shows it the way it showed up on your blackberry, so if you don't get HTML e-mail on your blackberry but the original e-mail was HTML, the user you are sending it to will only see plain text.

I hope that clarifies the process for some of you. I'm sure most of you knew that whole thing already.

Last edited by kingbear2; 04-22-2009 at 02:26 PM..
Old 04-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #199
kirrinjones

PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Wirelessly posted

Wow, that's a great explanation there. Thanks a lot. Got it. Now I know.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #200
Ruhrpottromantiker

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone Germany
Default Files App

Hello,

somebody tested the new "files" application?
Are you able to connect to LAN share via WiFi? That would be incredible!

BoyGenius just wrote:
Speaking of files, Files still appears to be the only new app included with OS 5.0 and it looks like it will add network share access to BES users, something that we at BGR are quite excited about.

Greets,
Marcus
Closed Thread