Old 10-14-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
tony597fitter
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile
Smile confused about yahoo messenger costs on 8100 and unlimited data plan

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
I just got 2-8100s one for me the other for my wife. I got the myfaves family plan with the 19.99 unlimited blackberry plan for both. Now from what I read and searched I thought with Yahoo messenger it was supposed to be free (part of the data plan). I just logged in to my.tmobile site and it shows I am being charged 10 cents for every message. I also called cust. service and they told me it is not included in the data plan, and it is charged for every message. I am new to this whole BB thing (but I love them so far) now am I missing something here? Do I need to add a messaging plan to my data plan? Also if it is going to cost me money (yahoo messenger) can I use the BB messenger, and would that be completely free? Sorry so long and yes I did search, and from what I understand I thought it should have been free.
Thanks.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
Liv
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

I was told in order to use Yahoo, you need to add on the text messaging plan. Because it uses SMS, not Data. So I am going to get the $15.00 unlimited messaging (text, video, picture and IMs is what it covers)

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 10-14-2006, 02:47 PM   #3
tony597fitter

This is what I found in Marks FAQ link. Now how I read it, Yahoo mess. is supposed to use data. I not 100% sure, I am still confused about it.

Advantages of Using Instant Messaging Over SMS

Some people have asked what are the advantages of using a dedicated instant messaging client instead of using plain old SMS. Most BlackBerry IM clients such as VeriChat and WebMessenger use data instead of SMS text messages.

Advantages Of Using IM Instead Of SMS:
Some BlackBerry plans have unlimited data, but not unlimited SMS
True 2-way chat, you can type while they are messaging you;
Chat faster, quicker messaging, messages arrive in just 1-2 seconds;
Multitask multiple conversations more easily;
Group conversations are possible in some IM software;
Just hit Enter to send message, and you're immediately ready to type the next message;
You can easily chat to someone sitting at a computer too, not just another phone;
Cheaper than a long distance call;
Disadvantages of Using IM Instead Of SMS:
Cost of software such as annual subscription fee, although this may be still be cheaper than the cost of an "Unlimited" SMS add-on.
Not good if you do not have an unlimited data plan;
Overkill, if you only do very infrequent SMS or IM;
Other people need to run IM software too, or log onto an IM system over SMS. (People can log onto AIM using SMS, so you that SMS users can send messages to your IM client that way.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:47 PM   #4
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony597fitter
Hi,
I just got 2-8100s one for me the other for my wife. I got the myfaves family plan with the 19.99 unlimited blackberry plan for both. Now from what I read and searched I thought with Yahoo messenger it was supposed to be free (part of the data plan). I just logged in to my.tmobile site and it shows I am being charged 10 cents for every message. I also called cust. service and they told me it is not included in the data plan, and it is charged for every message. I am new to this whole BB thing (but I love them so far) now am I missing something here? Do I need to add a messaging plan to my data plan? Also if it is going to cost me money (yahoo messenger) can I use the BB messenger, and would that be completely free? Sorry so long and yes I did search, and from what I understand I thought it should have been free.
Thanks.
You are being charged because when text messaging you are NOT using the T-Mo data plan, you are using SMS services which in a sense is using the phone, not the browser. The unlimited data plan applies only to use of the browser and BB e-mail services.

While this may sound like T-Mo is being greedy, actually they bill for individual items the same as other carriers. And in fact, they have the best rates on all plans [and they have the $20 unlimited data plan that includes using your Pearl as a modem and getting up to 115k connection speed on your notebook PC, for example].

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 10-14-2006 at 02:55 PM..
Old 10-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
noeffectx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: 123456
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony597fitter
Hi,
Thanks.
download the yahoo messenger from mobile.blackberry.com using your 8100. This software use data

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/
Old 10-14-2006, 02:52 PM   #6
SanFrancisco

Is it possible to use Yahoo Messenger through the 8100's browser? If so, then that would be free because you are using the Net and T-Mo's data plan, so to speak.

I think there is a mobile version of Yahoo Messenger that will create an icon on your Pearl "desktop" and you can simply click that instead of opening bookmarks, entering passwords, etc.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
noeffectx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 123456
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv
I was told in order to use Yahoo, you need to add on the text messaging plan. Because it uses SMS, not Data. So I am going to get the $15.00 unlimited messaging (text, video, picture and IMs is what it covers)
or you can download YM from mobile.blackberry.com or blackberry.com/yahoodownload. the ym from rim use data.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/
Old 10-14-2006, 02:57 PM   #8
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeffectx
or you can download YM from mobile.blackberry.com or blackberry.com/yahoodownload. the ym from rim use data.
That's the way I understood it. No need to be using T-Mo's SMS
Old 10-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
tony597fitter

Thanks for all the help. The thing is I did download the Yahoo mess. from blackberry.co and that is what I am using and being charged for.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:46 PM   #10
kasperapd

Carrier: AT&T

If you use the OZ Messenger that came on the 8100, then you'll be charged for SMS. If you download the Yahoo Messenger from mobile.balckberry.com, that uses your data package, and will not count against your SMS package. Also, the BB Messenger uses your data plan, and not SMS.

Please try a Search
Old 10-15-2006, 03:28 AM   #11
icepulse
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100T

What he said.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:09 AM   #12
steven_kapoor

Model: 8310

Just like most people said here, if you use the official yim client from blackberry you will use data (part of your plan). If you use Tmobile's OZ crap then it will charge you per message. Also, later this year RIM is coming out with official AIM and MSN clients which will use data (can't wait for the AIM client to be released).
Old 10-16-2006, 12:23 PM   #13
ryangoo

Check to see if your wife isn't using the OZ software. Maybe those charges are coming from her, not yours.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:22 PM   #14
mrpg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_kapoor
Just like most people said here, if you use the official yim client from blackberry you will use data (part of your plan). If you use Tmobile's OZ crap then it will charge you per message. Also, later this year RIM is coming out with official AIM and MSN clients which will use data (can't wait for the AIM client to be released).
Anything free MSN clients coming?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:29 PM   #15
major2829
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
Carrier: ATT

I use AIM, does this mean I am incurring a separate charge for this service? This is confusing. I didn't have any of the issues when I had the sidekick. Everything was included in the $20 fee. Texting, IMing, email, etc.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:56 PM   #16
Lucky#Slevin

Carrier: Tmobile
Default msn messenger

has anyone tried this free software yet on their blackberrys EQO is a free ware but the 8100 is not supported yet I sent them an email to see if they will support later
Old 10-16-2006, 04:03 PM   #17
mrpg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by major2829
I use AIM, does this mean I am incurring a separate charge for this service? This is confusing. I didn't have any of the issues when I had the sidekick. Everything was included in the $20 fee. Texting, IMing, email, etc.
Yea, from the thread it sounds like if you use OZ's IM, they implement some kinda SMS and so you get charged for SMS msgs. If you get a alternative IM client they use data to transport the msgs, not SMS and that takes from your data plan, if you have unlimitted then you're fine.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:26 PM   #18
ocanyc

Carrier: Tmobile

Ok, another confused potential blackberry pearl user. So with this plan from T-Mobile:

BlackBerry Unlimited
$29.99 per month -
Whenever minutes None
Weekend minutes None
Weeknight minutes None
myFaves minutes N/A
Mobile to mobile minutes None
Shared minutes None
Additional minutes $.20 per minute
Data transfer Unlimited
Included Text Messages 300 per month
My E-mail Unlimited
Corporate My E-mail None
HotSpot None

I'm going to get charged extra for using AIM. Oh yeah, AIM is the main messenger I'd be interested in. Or is it possible to use AIM on the pearl without being charged extra? Thanks in advance, sorry for the newb question but definitely would like to take this plan.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:33 PM   #19
kasperapd

That plan only includes 300 text messages, so I'm guessing if you use the built in OZ Messenger, you'd eat through those 300 pretty quick. You can try Ramble IM if you want a free AIM client, or there are some very good instant messaging apps that you pay for, but you'd also have access to other IM apps as well.

Please try a Search
Old 10-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #20
SanFrancisco

The easy way to understand how all this works is to simply think of your 8100's Net access [and globe icon] as that which uses your data plan.

Generally, if you click the globe icon and access the Net, anything you do while on the Net is covered in your $20 data plan. Any time you are using the Pearl's net access, you are NOT being charged anything more than the charge for your unlimited data plan [$20 here in the U.S.].

Maybe they should rename the data plan to something like "internet access" so people understand the concept.

That said, anytime you can set up message services to go through your net connection, so to speak, do so because such will be free because you are sending messages through the NET and NOT T-Mo's other services that count against your minutes or are otherwise charged for [10 cents per message, etc.].

My understanding is that Yahoo Messenger has a mobile version that installs on your 8100. When that is installed, you are using YM the same way as you would on your home PC, through the Net.

On other message services, until the individual companies come out with a mobile version, you can access the mobile messaging site through the Pearl's Net connection, bookmark the page, then go there each time you want to send a message. Cumbersome, but you will avoid charges for the message.

I would recommend to AVOID T-Mo's "icons" for using all the message services because while convenient, those will incur charges.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 02-14-2007 at 06:01 PM..
Closed Thread