Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
paradilly

Model: 8800
Carrier: o2
Default BES SRP connection failing for no reason

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I currently have our support guys working on this but just wanted your opinions as RIM seem to be taking their sweet time on it.

we have a problem where the Blackberry Server (on domino - BESv2.2) just stopped working.

On first glance it looks like connectivity with srp.eu.blackberry.net is failing (I am seeing this periodically in the console window)
Running the bbsrptest.exe has always showed there is no connection to this address even though there clearly was due to the fact the server ran fine here for nearly two years. The techie couldnt figure out why the test was failing but we left it due to the fact that the server was working correctly.

As a test, I moved the server to a different external line with full natting to it, the bbsrptest then worked perfectly (success) but we were still getting the connection attempt failed message.

There are no mails coming into or going out of the Blackberrys and lookups fail also. A quick look on the console also shows the lack of any confirmations of delivery.

The current state of affairs is that our tech support say we may have been blocked by rim due to our IP changing too often but it was only changed once after the failures started to occur so I seriously doubt this is so.

Anyone any ideas?

Any response much appreciated.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
Dustbin30
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7230

What is your SRP ID?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:32 AM   #3
paradilly

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, how would this help?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
Dustbin30
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7230

I'll check to see if it's disabled...

PM me if u don't want to broadcast your SRP ID

Last edited by Dustbin30; 10-31-2005 at 11:40 AM..
Old 10-31-2005, 11:45 AM   #5
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

paradilly, alternatively, in case you don't trust DB30, you can call RIM directly (although from what I can see, he's legit).
Old 10-31-2005, 10:32 PM   #6
BBTechGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradilly
Hi all,

I currently have our support guys working on this but just wanted your opinions as RIM seem to be taking their sweet time on it.

we have a problem where the Blackberry Server (on domino - BESv2.2) just stopped working.

On first glance it looks like connectivity with srp.eu.blackberry.net is failing (I am seeing this periodically in the console window)
Running the bbsrptest.exe has always showed there is no connection to this address even though there clearly was due to the fact the server ran fine here for nearly two years. The techie couldnt figure out why the test was failing but we left it due to the fact that the server was working correctly.

As a test, I moved the server to a different external line with full natting to it, the bbsrptest then worked perfectly (success) but we were still getting the connection attempt failed message.

There are no mails coming into or going out of the Blackberrys and lookups fail also. A quick look on the console also shows the lack of any confirmations of delivery.

The current state of affairs is that our tech support say we may have been blocked by rim due to our IP changing too often but it was only changed once after the failures started to occur so I seriously doubt this is so.

Anyone any ideas?

Any response much appreciated.
Have you considered that your SRP may have become Disabled due to your internet connection fluctuating. If it drops and reconnects 5 times in 1 minute then you're Disabled.

The IP changing would be irrelevant unless two IP's were connecting at once with the same SRP ID.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:00 AM   #7
mysticBESAdmin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130
Carrier: MobileOne

Yes BBTechGuy is correct, changing of your IP address has no effect on the SRP connection. Are there any trial BES that are running in your environment that are using the SRP. That will actually disable your SRP and thus no longer be used until RIM re-enable back
Old 11-01-2005, 04:29 AM   #8
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Rogers

Actual situation in my case:
Client - recent BESX v4.0 setup in Toronto after having acquired the SRP ID & Auth Key about a year ago.
A totally unrelated business in Montana, is currently using the same SRP ID....
What RIM did after much log analysis by the OPS team, was to release a new Auth Key to my client. So what actually exists at the moment is two companies with the same SRP ID but different Auth Key. I mentioned this a a couple months ago in previous posts.
This may not be the case in your situation....
Sometimes this network behaviour could be related to recent changes on your network switches (half duplex -> full duplex).
Also check your firewall or proxy configurations (if any). If your BES was connecting to the srp host fine for the past two years and suddenly there are issues, then something has changed in your network.
If not..then I would suggest to call RIM and have their OPS team take a look at the problem. They work around the clock.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:52 AM   #9
paradilly

Thnaks for all the replies, had word back from RIM that my SRPID was blocked, they unblocked it and it blocked again straight away. There can definately be no trials running with the same SRP as the key and ssoftware have been safely stored in my room. The problem must lie as stated in the internet connection fluctuating. Working with RIM and our provider now, will post anything found here shortly.

As far as network changes go, we have recently implemented a new 2k3 AD and proxy but were not even using this on the BES, nothing has changed.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:14 AM   #10
BBTechGuy

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradilly
Thnaks for all the replies, had word back from RIM that my SRPID was blocked, they unblocked it and it blocked again straight away. There can definately be no trials running with the same SRP as the key and ssoftware have been safely stored in my room. The problem must lie as stated in the internet connection fluctuating. Working with RIM and our provider now, will post anything found here shortly.

As far as network changes go, we have recently implemented a new 2k3 AD and proxy but were not even using this on the BES, nothing has changed.
A suggestion for you to eliminate the idea of another server using the SRP ID is to shut off your BES Services. At this point call RIM and have them re-enable it and wait for about 5 minutes or so to see if they show it connecting from their end. If your SRP ID connects with your BES Services down well then it's pretty obvious that something else is using the SRP ID.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:38 AM   #11
bbgirl

Model: all
Carrier: All carrier's

I had that for some time. I just reinstalled the hotfix for 3.6. I was using that at the time of this issue. I intially thought firewall problems, but nope.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:40 AM   #12
bbgirl

Model: all
Carrier: All carrier's

oh wow, just read your response, funny, I had that too. Some ambitious tech wanted to try and install a test BES, for a learning experience, and used the same SRP

He was bringing me Diet Pepsi's for two weeks!!!!
Closed Thread