brendanrouse

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Question Contacts Synchronization Lotus notes

Please Login to Remove!

Greetings all

I am currently developing a heck of a lot of grey hair.. har har

I am an IT helpdesk Technician looking for answers regarding addressbook synchronization with lotus notes. Due to our software policies we are not able to install any of the blackberry software on the users laptops.

We do have a BES although this is not local and is abroad in Belgium...

Many of our sales staff have 7100's and have just been upgraded to the "pearl's" 8100's The problem seems to be that most of the users are able to Synchronize there contacts with Lotus notes so that all there stored numbers will get transfered to there Lotus Notes address book .. although there are a few that will not work and will not Synchronize a single contact

I have tried a few things and one was deleting the desktop{sync} in the service book and then undeleting it, for some reason this has working for a select few but not all the ones I have tried.

I have also had an issue when people where able to Synchronize there 7100 with lotus notes and all the contacts have been transfered over although once they activated there Enterprise activation on there 8100's they cant seem to sync there address books to get all there contacts from lotus notes back on there Blackberry's

I would really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on my frustrations as I am running out of things to try and excuses to tell

Many thanks
Brendan Rouse
Old 09-21-2007, 06:55 AM   #2
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Hello -

Need to know:

1. Version of IBM Lotus Domino on the server (both the server running BES and the server hosting your users mail files)?

2. Version of the BES in Belgium?

3. Are you users set up as "Roaming Users" in Domino? If so, do they replicate their address book into their mail file? Or have you standardized on replicating the users names.nsf up to the server (e.g., we use the latter and use mail\username_ab.nsf for the replica of the user's address book in the server, then we point the BES to look for the address book there).

Thanks!
Aaron
Old 09-21-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Short answer:

Since you can't synchronize locally, the address book will need to be replicated to the server. Provided the correct BES/Domino version levels are available, and the user is set up and configured for wireless address book (BES needs to be told where to look for the address book), then it should work.

It also wouldn't hurt to make sure the 7100 and 8100 handhelds are on the latest handheld O/S level.

Also, it might be worthwhile to repost in the BES forum. I only found this message since this message visible on the front forum page. Otherwise I would never have seen it. That is just a thought
Old 09-21-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
brendanrouse

Model: 8100
Carrier: vodafone
Default re: Synchronization Lotus notes

Many thanks for your reply...

I am currently trying to find out the server version information although I am not able to get in touch with the relevant people.

I will be able to tell you what I know and update the information as soon as I am able to find it out.

The Domino and the BES server are both in Belgium although they are separate servers.. in different locations from what I gather and they have a set replication

Our notes setting in the UK are all set to local replication and use the mailuk\****.nsf and the we use the names.nsf file for the address as well

I do not know how to explain what I am about to type but hopefully this will make sense..

While in your workspace opening a database will it matter where the nsf mail file is stored what i mean is...

-SERVER
mailcz
maileu
mailuk-->users mailbox

If you open the mailbox and set the mailbox for a local replica will it need to be in a mailuk\users mailbox.nsf (sub folder in the lotus notes directory)

or can it just be in the ...\data folder eg ..lotus\data\users mailbox

I do not know if this has made any sense at all hopefully you can see what I am asking.

I will try and findout the additional information ASAP... Many thanks for you reply

Regards
Brendan Rouse
Old 09-28-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Are your clients Personal Address Books (names.nsf) from the local PCs in the UK being replicated to the server in Belgium?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:57 AM   #6
ShootMe

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile/AT&T/Sprint
Default Address book replication

The method we have used is to setup a replication of the Names.nsf from the client system to the server. For obvious reasons it is necessary to name each persons .nsf file on the server location uniquely, using their name works pretty well (all lower case caused the least heartburn).

We've been doing this for a couple of years now, it works pretty well. It's also a great backup of a person's address book for Notes if the drive crashes.

The simplist method is to open the address book on the client system. While viewing the address book, click on File |Replication | New Replica. Database will be the user's address book, Server will be local, File Path will point to the shared folder intended for the address books on the server, the actual file name would be something like

bob smith.nsf.

Hope that helps

Last edited by ShootMe; 10-09-2007 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: More information
Closed Thread