BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
korereactor
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T
Unhappy New to BB - "Reply To" Issue - Antispam Systems, etc.

Please Login to Remove!

We've just started using the BlackBerry 8700c's in our company and I have noticed an issue with the "Reply To" field on BIS 2.0. Here's our problem:

When we were using Treo 650's we used the carrier's email address in the "From" field(such as [email address]), so email antispam systems would not block the email due to reverse lookups or SPF lookups.

In the "Reply To" field we used our corporate email address. This is so when anyone replied to our emails from our mobile device, it would go to our mobile device AND Outlook, so we didn't have to constantly check our mobile device as well when we are in the office. The "Reply To" field doesn't have any effect on antispam systems either.

With the BlackBerry, when I change the "Reply To" in BIS, it also changes the "From" field, which screws everything up. I don't want the "From" field to change, just the "Reply To". This way, antispam systems won't bounce the email. This to me seems to be a huge drawback. I'm really surprised, as this doesn't provide much flexibility.

Does anyone have a fix or workaround? Some good advice would really be appreciated, as I would like for our CEO to not have to always check his BlackBerry when he's in the office(why would you want to, that's what Outlook is for, right?).

NOTE: I have tried to use third party apps on the BlackBerry to fix the "Reply To" issue as well - none of them worked - BIS just ignored it and used the address that is in the BIS "Reply To" setting, which you can not leave blank.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:35 AM   #2
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

Sounds like your best option would be to set up BES for your company email. BIS 2.0 is not really meant to replace BEs in a corporate environment. It's more of a consumer substitute to allow pulling email from other accounts than the direct BIS account and to allow Spoofing the from address. This results in the anti-SPAM rejections.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Old 08-07-2006, 02:10 AM   #3
korereactor

BES would cost my company around $35,000.00+(We're not on Exchange or Lotus notes, and an outsourced option for 300 users would cost just as much if not more). All to get that "Reply To" issue straightened out? Seems to me like RIM is doing it deliberately so people purchase BES. I think the better answer for us is to live with it for now or go back to the Treo 650.

Hey, I'll admit it, I like the BB much better than the Treo 650. I was just hoping someone has found a work-around for this issue other than going to BES.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:49 AM   #4
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Here is what most of us simple folks do:

- Open POP or IMAP access to corporate mail server, and if security matters- restrict it by RIM's IP addresses;
- Configure Blackberry to poll from corporate mail server;
- Use corporate email address in From: and Reply to: fields.

When email is sent from blackberry it will be signed by corporate email address. When someone replies to it, reply will go to corporate mail server, there to be seen by Outlook and polled by blackberry.

Reverse lookups should always work as long as your domain is legit. All they do is try to resolve sender's domain name.

SPF lookups may fail, unless you just add RIM's email addresses to your SPF record. SPF stays for 'Sender Permitting From,' right? So, why don't *you* permit RIM send emails on behalf of your domain name?

Yes, seems like a lot of work, but if you do like blackberry and want to save your company $35,000 on BES, it is not that much of an effort to set your corporate email environment to support BIS better.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
korereactor

Doesn't all outgoing email go through RIM? If that's the case, then the email will have "email@mydomain.com" in the "From" but actually be coming from RIM's mail servers. The lookup will fail as the IP won't actually match the domain in the "From" field.

Adding RIM to our SPF will help, but I would think the problem above would cause issues as well, wouldn't it? Or does the reverse lookup just make sure the domain resolves and is valid? Thanks in advance for you help!

EDIT: OK, I read you email more thoroughly(sorry!). Thanks, I'm going to do what you suggested! You help is much appreciated!!

Last edited by korereactor; 08-07-2006 at 12:06 PM..
Closed Thread