Old 05-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
whipit
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Optus
Default Is the 9000 a piece of Junk??

Please Login to Remove!

Well, I hate to say it, but I have had my bold for a few months now and it has been nothing but trouble. Nothing big, just small issue after small issue.

I am a business man, all I want is a phone that works reliably, a calendar that sinks reliably, and to receive email messages reliably. Given its 2009 do we really have to have a device that we have to constantly tinker with, I am a phone user not a technical enthusiast.

If I had a dollar for every time I have had to "pull the battery" so fix some sort of syncing/messaging problem I would have had enough to buy an iPhone outright!! The problem with that is it takes an eternity to boot back up again, I just don't have time for this.

So my latest problem, which admittedly is not a show stopper but simply adds to the long list of niggles is that I now (for no apparent reason) all of my desktop calendar entries are appearing doubled up on my phone and I just don't seem to be able to remove them, any one know how?

And before you all flame me, I run an engineering business, so I am no dummy technically, but I am just a bit fed up with all the small issues.

cheers

Gary
Old 05-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
kirrinjones
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Wirelessly posted

You must be that blue moon that they talk about!

You are the first person I have EVER heard say that the Bold (or any other BlackBerry) is crap. You have to be new to it.

I would first like to say to you. Go to the 9000 forum here and they upgrade your phone OS by following the instructions provided and then go out and use your Bold again and come back and let us know how it goes.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
jimmyh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: AT&T
Smile Best phone I've ever had!!

I was the second in line at my local AT&T dealer last November when the Bold came out. I previously had the 8700 which was a very excellent phone in it own rights.

Since purchasing the Bold I have upgraded probably 5 or 6 times. (now running .93 with just the loss of the browser). I have a 4gig mermory card, also loaded--poynt, viigo, google maps, google sync, opera mini, bolt and I have absolutly no problems. E-mail is almost instant, calendar is exceptional, battery is excellent, couldn't ask for a better phone and instant messaging is very good.....I read so many post of unsatisfied customers I sometimes wonder if maybe I'm having problems and just don't know it. I would have to recommend if your Bold isn't performing the way mine is you should return and ask for a new phone. Forgot to mention the camera is excellent..

Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe you just have a bad phone or battary....Hope you get it corrected because this is a very good phone...
Old 05-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
david9962000

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

The Bold is great! If you take the time to read and search, you can solve all your problems here.

Good luck.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
whipit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyh View Post
Since purchasing the Bold I have upgraded probably 5 or 6 times. (now running .93 with just the loss of the browser).
Thanks but is anyone listening out there?, my exact point is you have had to upgrade the software by your own admission 5 or 6 times, and to the earlier post I have just tried loading the latest firmware (second time I have had to do this since getting the phone) to fix one problem now I have this calendar issue.

And no its not my first BB, I had a pearl and had a few issues but generally liked it and upgraded to the bold when the plan ran out. I have NEVER owned a phone where upgrading the firmware is a regular course of events.

Shall we take bets on what chance I have of my carrier giving me a new handset after having it this long?. Oh and I also forgot its already been back to the shop once anyway because the track ball stopped working.

Lastly, can anyone please suggest why my desktop calendar entries are now doubled up on my phone and how I can reset/remove them.

thanks
Old 05-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I never recommend upgrading the OS just for the heck of it. If the device isn't broken, there is no need to try to fix it. I ran OS 4.2 on my 8800 for over 2 years, and then upgraded to the 9000. That works fine as it is, so I hve no need to upgrade just yet.

What do you use to sync calendar - Outlook? Google? If Outlook, what version?

What version of Desktop Manager are you using? What OS on the PC?

If you have a good backup, you might try deleting all the calendar entries on the BB and then trying to sync again. Also check the calendar sync configuration to make sure it is set up correctly.

Link from the FAQ: http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p..._items_at_once

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 05-18-2009 at 08:03 PM..
Old 05-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
kirrinjones

Wirelessly posted

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear but I'm loving my Bold and I only upgrade my OS because I want to and not just because I have to.

Another good thing about the upgrades is that you get new features and don't have to worry about being stuck with factory default os.

I've have my Bold for months now and the only problem I had was that the battery drained real quick, until I updated the OS and no more battery drain.

I would hope that you get some more of your issues sorted, but I don't think that the Bold is a stupid phone. I'll loving it, nonstop.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
whipit

I think what has happened is it is trying to wirelessly sync the calendar as well as via the cable. If I go to help in the desktop manager and try and follow how it says to turn off wireless syncing what it is saying to look for i.e. "On the Configuration tab, click Configure synch" doesn't seem to even be available on my version of Desktop Manager??

When I go to use Back Up / Restore > Advanced as per the above post to try and remove all the calendar entries on the handset the Calendar Selection is grayed out in the right hand pane.

I am running Desktop Manager V 4.7.0.32
PC OS is XP Pro
Using Microsoft Outlook 2003

I am so over this, can anyone help please!!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Are you on BES?

If so, time to talk to the BES Admin.

-->>Twitter

Old 05-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
whipit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Are you on BES?

If so, time to talk to the BES Admin.
Sorry mate, I am not sure what BES is?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #11
GetURWingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
Sorry mate, I am not sure what BES is?
BES is BlackBerry Enterprise Server, this would be something your company would have your BB on.

I have had my Bold about 3 weeks, the times that something got screwed up on it I had a hand in doing it myself.

Sounds like yours may be one that needs to be traded in. I am on my 3rd BB so far and I am not looking back.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #12
kirrinjones

Wirelessly posted

Whipit. I think you should backup your phone using the DM, then get the latest OS for your phone, upgrade and then restore your data.

As for the doubling of your calendar, try not restoring your calendar from backup, and just do a sync after you have done the upgrade.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #13
rsnadel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Some people also report problems with Desktop Manager 4.7 and suggest downgrading to 4.6 for a more stable relationship with the Bold. I, too, have had experiences where I suddenly found my recurring calendar events appearing twice after a firmware update. My solution was to go to the go to Advanced Options in Desktop Manager, deleter all the calendar items on the device, open the backup I made just before upgrading, and copy the calendar from the backup to the device. Problem solved.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #14
jtsunami09876

Model: 9800
Carrier: At&t

juses christ man, chill, sounds like you got a lemon phone or you just don't know how to properly deal with it. The iPhone ain't that great for business use anyhow so why would you even consider it. The bold is one of the most solid phones out now, but it is pricey.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:16 AM   #15
whipit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsunami09876 View Post
juses christ man, chill, sounds like you got a lemon phone or you just don't know how to properly deal with it. The iPhone ain't that great for business use anyhow so why would you even consider it. The bold is one of the most solid phones out now, but it is pricey.
Dude, you would be as p'd off as me with the issues I have had, but I will admit to not being particularly good at handling "techno stress" I just want a phone that works, plain and simple, and no I dont particularly want a hairdresser phone like the iPhone but anyhting cmpared to my bold right now looks viable.

Yes we are running BES, I will get the IT guy to look at if somethings changed.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:21 AM   #16
Erjavec

Model: Torch
Carrier: QTEL

What ppl are trying to tell you here is that your experience is highly unusual, and you either have lemon phone, or your PC is messed up somehow.

For most of us here, BOLD is just as you describe you'd like it to work: fast, reliable, no problems whatsoever. Reason we update OS and fiddle with it occasionally is because we're geeks, not because we have to update to fix this or that.

I have had a looong history of smart-phones, Palms, Treos, SonnyEriccsons, and BB Curve before my BOLD, and I must say I have never had anything remotely close to perfection that is the BOLD.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:47 AM   #17
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

If you are on a BES, your calendar from outlook will sync wireless and there should be no reason to sync it via usb and desktop manager.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 05-19-2009, 06:32 AM   #18
kirrinjones

Wirelessly posted

Whipit, its really hard for us to get that you feel that the bold is a junk phone. We know that all technology has some level of problems or glitch, but for you to be having so much issues that you have concluded that one of the best and most popular smartphones out there is crap, to us it just says that you probably got a device that was defective in the first place.

This phone in most cases is a very solid device, and as its mentioned above, we fiddle with it because its what we do, not because we have it.

I hope while we're ranting you are seeing that we're trying to help you at the same time so that you can reap the benefits of the greatest smartphone out there. As midnight pointed out, if you're synching wirelessly then stop using the DM, in fact if you use the DM you'll change a lot of you settings and you'll have conflicts with the BES.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #19
jtsunami09876

Model: 9800
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Dude, you would be as p'd off as me with the issues I have had, but I will admit to not being particularly good at handling "techno stress" I just want a phone that works, plain and simple, and no I dont particularly want a hairdresser phone like the iPhone but anyhting cmpared to my bold right now looks viable.

Ok I understand, who is your carrier though? It says Optus on your sig? Can you take it back to them and tell them your problems and ask for a new one? Att does this for their customers I believe up to two new phones if you have problems and it usually doesn't matter how long you've had it if you are a loyal customer of theirs.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:46 AM   #20
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:

Now we are getting some place. If you are on the company BES, then there is most likely an IT Policy in place, put there by the company, which is preventing you from making changes.

Do not try to upgrade the OS or do anything else before speaking with your IT person.

Since contacts and calendar sync wirelessly, you do not need to use the USB cable and Desktop Manager to sync.

-->>Twitter

Last edited by Dubdub; 05-19-2009 at 06:47 AM..
Closed Thread