Old 08-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
PIN: ?
Carrier: AT&T
Default WSJ Mobile Reader

Please Login to Remove!

Wall Street Journal Digital Network Launches New Mobile Reader for BlackBerry Smartphones

Anyone try this?

Get Mobile Reader - WSJ.com

Last edited by gibber9583; 08-19-2008 at 01:30 PM..
Old 08-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
WillJitsu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: 318B717B
Carrier: Sprint

I was going to try it, but I never received the e-mail with the download link.

I tried twice.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

So this is more than a wap site. Correct?

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 08-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
WillJitsu
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 318B717B

Yes this is an application that you download from my understanding.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Thank you. I perused the links. It looks like a Viigo just for WSJ based on what I thought I read.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Jon M

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

You can download the WSJ mobile application directly from:

http://wsjmobilereader.com

It's a dedicated application, updating in the background to give access to the complete content of WSJ Online site. It's instant access to the content, and allows you to easily share articles via email and Facebook.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #7
gameboy213
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630

I dig it
Old 08-20-2008, 12:42 AM   #8
irockash
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Yeah, I dig it as well... visually pleasing, also has support for other news feeds... It just groups them up into one tab.

I'll probably keep it!

Edit: So I've been on this thing for a while, and really like, just a little of styling changes.

-Like I said earlier, it groups all of "your" feeds in one tab, so everything is mixed in one list. You can still tell what article comes from where by the icon next to the title. All the WSJ feeds get their own tabs. Somewhat understandable, it's WSJ's program, wouldn't want to distract readers from that.

-It has kinda of a "universal" navigation setup: you move the ball up and down to scroll through articles; and left and right to scroll through tabs, unless you're reading an article.
So if you're going through a list of "Whats News" (clever, huh?) and decide to go to market watch, just move to the right. No going back to get that done.

-It looks nice, transitions are smooth as hell.

Overall, its implemented really nice for BB.... just wish it put feeds from other sources in different tabs.

Last edited by irockash; 08-20-2008 at 02:51 AM..
Old 08-21-2008, 05:27 AM   #9
pcourleux

Model: 8100
Carrier: vodafone

Hi Guys,

I can t make it work.
It is stay stuck on " Please wait while we configure your account....
Any ideas ?
I m BES, in UK, with vodaphone.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2008, 05:52 AM   #10
pcourleux

Carrier: vodafone

Do you know where to find the BES specific version ?
Thanks
Old 08-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #11
lpio

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Talking just got it..

and love it!!! (so far)
I like that you can read full articles without having to pay for a subscription... for now.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
sheldonbk

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpio View Post
and love it!!! (so far)
I like that you can read full articles without having to pay for a subscription... for now.
Exactly! That's probably a key benefit of the program considering that WSJ online (full) articles are only available by subscription. One thing I noticed was that if I email articles to myself, then I can't use those emails to read the full article. So, you can't print articles. It's just full article access using the WSJ (BB) reader. I can certainly see how they can use this program to get more WSJ Interactive subscribers or increase the value of those subscriptions.

It is a terrific RSS program if you're interested in the market, a couple WSJ feeds and maybe a couple other RSS feeds. However, if you're like me, and are much more interested in non-WSJ feeds, FreeRange is a much better solution.

As you can tell from my comments above, I evaluated this as an RSS program and not as a WSJ link. It's much much better than any other publication's web-link approach to BB support and is an extremely well designed program!!

Last edited by sheldonbk; 09-21-2008 at 05:05 PM..
Old 09-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #13
davidboydca
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Here's a link to the BES version that you can install via desktop sync or BES push.

http://69.30.25.12/m/install_wsj/bla...rporate_en.zip

Here's the link to the non-BES version (same as you get from OTA install via http://wsjmobilereader.com):

http://69.30.25.12/m/install_wsj/bla...Journal_en.zip

Last edited by davidboydca; 09-21-2008 at 02:44 PM..
Old 09-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #14
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780

I have installed this and it is a nice product that can be configured and customized to some degree. I like it and will continue to use it. A couple of comments:

1. I am on BES and did not need to load a special version. I simply downloaded OTA at http://wsjmobilereader.com.

2. I suspect that this program exacerbates the memory leak problem. Memory seems to drop fairly quickly, and a battery pull will restore a fair chunk of memory even with the same stories stored on the device. Hopefully that can be fixed in the not too distant future.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #15
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I have been using this for about a little bit and I really like it.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #16
AllanRosen
Thumbs Must Hurt

I would really like the app to have a way to monitor portfolios and view charts. (I realize you can monitor stocks in a limited way in the "My Stocks" tab but it's really pretty lame). The strong point of this app is that quickly delivers business news. The weak point is viewing stocks portfolios and charts. All in all, the Bloomberg app for Iphone has better features.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #17
Deguello
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: 30BCB3F2
Carrier: Verizon

I tried the wsj reader too, along with the new thestreet reader, but they both lack the ability to watch several (2,3,4 or maybe 5) portfolios, with the values and gain/loss for the day or year etc. Anyone have a suggestion?
Old 10-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #18
sheldonbk

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguello View Post
I tried the wsj reader too, along with the new thestreet reader, but they both lack the ability to watch several (2,3,4 or maybe 5) portfolios, with the values and gain/loss for the day or year etc. Anyone have a suggestion?
I like WSJ Reader but for an RSS reader, I really want one with more features. So, I use FreeRange (company that developed WSJ reader, so if you like that one, it's the same feel but a couple more features). I obtained a separate free BB program for quotes.. Market Filters - Stock market analysis tools. Not perfect or as full featured as web based portfolio managers, but pretty good for basic quotes. Another thing I've tried is bookmarking one of the web portfolio pages. Some work well thru BB browser.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #19
GJSchaller

Model: 8320
Unhappy

Several people in my organization have downloaded it, and have been using it for a while.

During a recent update to our Blackberry fleet, about half of the devices I worked with were unable to be backed up - each time I tried, I would get a "The data could not be read" error. The only common thread between all of them is that they had the WSJ Reader application. Additionally, one of them had massive OS corruption, and even a battery pull (and leaving it out for 60 seconds) didn't help - the device could no longer communicate with the BB Desktop. A manual wipe of the device fixed this.

I am being VERY leery of the WSJ reader at this time. I haven't been able to prove it beyond a strong suspicion, but as the saying goes, "I have a bad feeling about this."
Old 10-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #20
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJSchaller
Several people in my organization have downloaded it, and have been using it for a while.

During a recent update to our Blackberry fleet, about half of the devices I worked with were unable to be backed up - each time I tried, I would get a "The data could not be read" error. The only common thread between all of them is that they had the WSJ Reader application. Additionally, one of them had massive OS corruption, and even a battery pull (and leaving it out for 60 seconds) didn't help - the device could no longer communicate with the BB Desktop. A manual wipe of the device fixed this.

I am being VERY leery of the WSJ reader at this time. I haven't been able to prove it beyond a strong suspicion, but as the saying goes, "I have a bad feeling about this."
There is no doubt that the application boogers up the profiles data base causing the backup to error out. (A workaround is selective backup of all but the profiles database.)

Other than the problem with the profiles database, I had no other problems. I'm one of those who have been given a test build, and the backup problem is fixed in the test build I am using. Others report the test build works for them as well.

I'm on an 8820 on BIS, OS 4.2.2.