Old 08-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
wellingtonboot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default My Blackberry.

Please Login to Remove!

I've had my Curve 9300 3G just over a week now and am starting to get to grips with it...

At first glance it was just what I had been looking for, a 'proper phone' that does more.

However, coming from an Android I did notice a few differences, some of which were a bit disapointing, and some that mattered not at all.

So having found my way around it and mastered the dubious art of deleting things, I got rid of everything I didn't need....most of the instant messenger apps which I don't use, everything Yahoo, twitter etc. I left all the usual phone stuff and kept Facebook, maps, the browser, BB messaging etc.

I ended up with loads of free space on which to put the things that I would use. ...the first being Google search. Then I found Google+ mobile which has put a nice little icon on the home screen. I've added the van club forum sites which also have icons on the home screen, so everything I use daily is getting organised nicely in one place....

Today I've put Opera browser on, but I don't know if I like it so that might come back off while I search for yet another browser.....if there is one for BB....just personal choice, but might get used to the one that is already on there.

So I'm fast moving from having a BB with lots of stuff I don't use and having a few misgivings about swapping from my Andriod, to having a phone that is tailored to my needs and wants..

The new hard case is on it, which leaves only the buttons exposed and it's now as protected as my old Samsung....

It's starting to feel like mine.,..
Ang x

Last edited by wellingtonboot; 08-25-2011 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1
Default Re: My Blackberry.

Glad to hear it.

I came bact to berry from android myself a few weeks ago (had berry for a few years before I went to droid)

Glad to see more people here.

Add me to your BBM if you wanna chat or have little droid>berry questions

pin:30C7A45E
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
wellingtonboot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you for the kind offer of chat for the things I am setting up...or just general help...

As a newbie I'm a bit wary at the mo of handing out the pin....pin still means something that is guarded with my life so my bank can't be emptied...lol

But I will very much appreciate your help on here...

Ang x
Old 08-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
wellingtonboot
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've sat this afternoon in my armchair trying to have a roam around the Britsh Isles curtesy of BB maps, and I have come to the conclusion that a navigationally challenged person and BB maps are seriously not compatable.

So I have installed my tried and trusted Google maps, and they work just fine....so I'm well pleased.

Another plus for the Blackberry...

Ang x
Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
wellingtonboot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ive come back to this rather than start another thread which wouldn't have any more point than to fill the forum up...

I hate to say but the rosy glow is starting to wear off a bit...

The Smrtguard has just let me know that it has expired and I would need to 'upgrade' to keep it going.

The Word to Go that I have just clicked on to do something, put a notice up....."25 days of the free trial left. You will then have to 'upgrade to the premium' ..."

In both cases upgrade means paying, and as a disabled user that already pays a monthly contract for the phone that isn't really in my priorities.

The Facebook update that was sent through from Blackberry, that I was daft enough to do has meant numerous tries/downloads/efforts to get FB working without stupid things happening but to no avail, so now I just use m. facebook which I could use on my old U800 none smartphone. Copied and pasted from the Blackberry website....

Facebook 2.0 is for BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 or higher. Facebook v1.9 is available for BlackBerry Device Software 4.5-4.7.

It clearly says that the 1.9 version, that was wiped of my phone by the update is still available.....but it isn't. Nowhere can I find it. All roads lead back to version 2.

Just starting to wonder if I jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire....
Ang x
Old 09-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

We ALL have to pay for applications that require them as well as contract obligations. As far as facebook, I use the browser like you.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
wellingtonboot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
We ALL have to pay for applications that require them as well as contract obligations.
Its a bit disapointing when the android equivalents are free to use....

Im wondering now whether it would be possible for any of my friends that have a BB, that have the old version 1.9 of FB, to copy it to a disk, and then download onto my PC and then onto my phone...

Ang x
Old 09-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
devnull

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

I could have sworn the version of Docs to go that comes with BB's is free. There might be a way to activate but I can't remember. That is one of the first apps I remove.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
wellingtonboot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
I could have sworn the version of Docs to go that comes with BB's is free. There might be a way to activate but I can't remember. That is one of the first apps I remove.
It will activate for 30 days, then the trial is ended and it says to keep using it I must upgrade. I think someone else was having the same issue, somewhere in the depths of the forum...

No matter....I'm cheering myself up by chasing the old Facebook version...

Thanks for your imput...

Ang x
Old 09-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I think the full version came free on my 9900..
Old 09-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I don't know about OS 6. On earlier versions at least, the free version of docs to go opens existing MS Word, etc. files and allows the user to edit. You cannot create a file; just open and edit, though you can create a "template" file, save to the BlackBerry, and edit and save it. And, you cannot open PDF files from memory. For those extra functions you need the premium version. And the premium version also supports the dataviz desktop files sync app.

The 9900 -- and I assume all OS7 models -- comes with a docs to go that appears to have all the premium features except a companion desktop files sync application.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellingtonboot View Post
It will activate for 30 days, then the trial is ended and it says to keep using it I must upgrade. I think someone else was having the same issue, somewhere in the depths of the forum...

Ang x
I am not sure if it is different across the pond, but the 9330 I have came with the standard edition of Docs To Go v2.0 as has every other BB I have had in the past few years. Didn't you say in another thread you went to the DataViz site and did something to try the premium version and after 30 days it would revert back to the standard edition?

Is it possible you downloaded a full version to try and may have deleted the standard that should have come with it? You may be able to reload with the original OS if it was included when you bought the BB.

BTW...did your 9300 come with OS 5.0 or 6.0 installed? I upgraded to 6.0, but the Docs To Go 2.0 standard edition remained to use for free.

What Docs To Go version do you have?
Old 09-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #13
wellingtonboot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Not sure what the version is....but I have the 6 OS...but to activate it...to make it do anything at all I was taken to this page....
Documents To Go for BlackBerry Smartphones: Word, Excel and PowerPoint on your BlackBerry Smartphone
From here I did the free trial.

All's well again, Im back on love with it cos have decided to totally ignore the W to G

Ang x
Old 09-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #14
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Steve made a good point. If you do need or want to use the "free" version of docs to go and what you have installed is a problem, delete it and install the free version.

I would have thought the trial version reverts to the standard version after the trial if you don't activate the premium version, but I don't know.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #15
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Interesting as I didn't have to do anything to activate the application on my 9330. I did have to accept the terms and then it just started up when I clicked on it.

That is what I also recall from the other BBs. No activation needed. Earlier models did not come with the Sheets To Go part and I have to do an upgrade to get that, but no charge.

Sorry I can't help.....
Old 09-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
wellingtonboot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Steve made a good point. If you do need or want to use the "free" version of docs to go and what you have installed is a problem, delete it and install the free version.

Ok, deleted it but won't get the free one till tomorrow cos my signal isn't very good tonight for some reason.

I'll give it a go tomorrow...

Ang x
Old 09-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #17
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

It is probably bundled with the OS and you can install it with Desktop Manager.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetaz View Post
Interesting as I didn't have to do anything to activate the application on my 9330. I did have to accept the terms and then it just started up when I clicked on it.

That is what I also recall from the other BBs. No activation needed. Earlier models did not come with the Sheets To Go part and I have to do an upgrade to get that, but no charge.

Sorry I can't help.....
My memory is starting out with the free version that was bundled with the OS, then at some point on my 9700 installing the standard version from app world. That sounds like what you did.

Later, I bought the premium version on my 9700 from app world, and downloaded it, replacing the standard version. I didn't go through dataviz, no activation key, no activation.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #19
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellingtonboot View Post
Not sure what the version is....but I have the 6 OS...but to activate it...to make it do anything at all I was taken to this page....
Documents To Go for BlackBerry Smartphones: Word, Excel and PowerPoint on your BlackBerry Smartphone
From here I did the free trial.

All's well again, Im back on love with it cos have decided to totally ignore the W to G

Ang x
To see what version you have to to Options> Advanced Options> Applications
or possiby Options> Device> Application Management> highlight Documents To Go and press the menu button left of the trackpad> View Properties > and scroll down - it will show you the version.

The verision on my 9930 is 3.0.0.010 and it came pre-installed.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #20
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

With my 9800 OS6 version 2.0005.096 came pre-installed.