Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 10:29 AM   #21
jdoom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Unhappy

Please Login to Remove!

Don't buy the iphone! it syncs well with Mac but not worth the lack of functionality over BB.
I lost my Pearl and opted for the iphone for the same price as the Curve/Pearl, why not?

1) no voice dialing
2) difficult to make phone call, let's face it the most important feature of all of these devices is that it is a phone. the iphone is truly an internet device first
3) does not handle email as well as bb. if you have multiple email accounts it is much more cumbersome.

I am a Mac fan want to keep my iPhone but it is not worth the hassle. Go with a BB over an iPhone, sorry to tell you.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:57 PM   #22
kamjam

PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoom View Post
Don't buy the iphone! it syncs well with Mac but not worth the lack of functionality over BB.
I lost my Pearl and opted for the iphone for the same price as the Curve/Pearl, why not?

1) no voice dialing
2) difficult to make phone call, let's face it the most important feature of all of these devices is that it is a phone. the iphone is truly an internet device first
3) does not handle email as well as bb. if you have multiple email accounts it is much more cumbersome.

I am a Mac fan want to keep my iPhone but it is not worth the hassle. Go with a BB over an iPhone, sorry to tell you.
So, as a Mac fan, how will u sync with your BB? I've read the software add-ons are not dependable and certainly not as elegant.

I too was already to be a first time early adopter. But when I read about some of the key missing things that I have on my older phones and lack of a full featured planner and to do list, will prob also go w/ the BB or Palm next mo when my VZW contract lapses. By this time next yr, a rev b will be out from Apple that should address some of the main complaints (user swappable battery aside).
Old 07-17-2007, 08:08 AM   #23
jdoom
Thumbs Must Hurt

My Pearl sync'ed ok (i gave it a 6 out of 10). The main issue was that it could not sync times of tasks that I had scheduled. I was using PM4.0.

I have read that the Missing Sync ($40) is a rock solid product but I have not tried it yet.

I did not want to buy the iPhone yet either, I was hoping to buy the 2nd generation but was forced when I dropped it into a lake.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:03 AM   #24
rw5579
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

My syncing experiences have improved very much... since upgrading a month or so ago to the latest PocketMac software 4.0.20... no complaints or missing items... no error messages... not looking to jinx myself, but has sync'd up every time since the upgrade
Old 07-19-2007, 05:42 AM   #25
catwoman66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Vodafone (Italy)

I still have time to think about the iphone, it's not arrived in Italy yet and won't do until 2008, I will definately keep my BB, but if RIM want to put me off buying the iphone all they have to do is DM for mac and I will stay faithfull....
Old 07-19-2007, 09:51 AM   #26
jdoom
Thumbs Must Hurt

keep your BB. to add to my previous post:

the battery life on the iphone really stinks.

my Curve is on the way!!!
Old 08-20-2007, 01:10 AM   #27
Heavy Doody

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I just picked up my first BlackBerry. An 8830. I got it free from Verizon as a replacement for a faulty Treo 700p. I pretty much selected the 8830 because I thought that, of all their PDA/Phones, it was the one that would have the best resale value come next July when I sell it on eBay and buy an iPhone. I'm hoping they've fixed a few of the things that bother me by then. If not, I'll go month-to-month with my 8830 until they do.

My needs are quite unique, but so far I miss one key program that I lived for with my Palm Treo: A password manager that had a desktop component for Mac. It makes me very sad that there doesn't seem to be one for the BlackBerry that does the same thing.

One praise I will sing for Blackberry: It syncs via Missing Sync a LOT better than my Palm did with Missing Sync for Palm.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #28
vicferr

Carrier: Cingular

I wanted to buy one but since I have a business account they wouldn't let me do it...bought a BB Curve instead and LOVE it. Sorry for your luck Apple...should have told AT&T to step it up.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #29
BlackBerryCoolSimon
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

I fooled around with the iPhone for a bit. Cute gimmick, but not much to keep you into it after the novelty wears off.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #30
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

I may get one to use when I don't have my BB-Pearl!
I like to think I am very careful with any of my devices so I think my chances of dropping it should be slim! I'd be very careful.
I am probably going to wait to see if the price goes down. It should!

But I am very happy with my BB-Pearl!

I wish I could sync my BB to my ibook WITHOUT downloading some third party application.

Last edited by Rolo1971; 08-29-2007 at 03:09 PM..
Old 09-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #31
sromley

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Default Not a blackberry fanatic

I've been using a blackberry for about a year now. My son just purchased an iPhone. While I do understand the problems with iPhones and corporate messaging, I think the overall user interface is MUCH better on the iPhone than the Blackberry.

i have an 8703e that doesn't have WiFi, and is pretty slow on browsing. The voice mail and email apps are much better on the iPhone, as is the Safari browser. I also like the integration with iTunes and iPhoto. Plus, 8 gigs of memory isn't bad. Maybe its because I don't have a Curve, but I think the UI on the iPhone is much better. I also like the touch screen and am no more worried about breaking the glass then I am scratching the plastic on my Blackberry.

Since my company supports IMAP on Exchange, I'm thinking about an iPhone.

Of course, I'm going to wait until rev 2, or the rumored iPhone Nano (maybe next Wednesday???).
Old 09-01-2007, 10:42 PM   #32
peestandingup

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post
i am willing to bet money that this is true. they rely on the "apple community", a bunch of ppl who have nothing better to do but spend money on their products and then spend hours on their discussion groups tickling their b@lls about what it does or doesn't do.....they don't even help each other !

i admit, i was a victim of this horrific act of selective ignorance when i bought an apple product....i am still waiting in line to get admitted into the rehab group for this, but the line is long......LMAO
Oh really?? And what Apple product did you buy?? Im willing to bet it was an iPod.

If you've never owned a Mac, you should just stop right now because you're coming off an ignorant boob. You do know that Apple has been a computer company for like 30 years now & is pretty much responsible for this whole "personal computer thing" & that nice GUI you're probably using on that Windows PC of yours.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:17 AM   #33
MaxPayne79
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 2165f8ed
Carrier: Fido

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J. View Post
not at all. i love my bb! i'll wait at least another year or two before making the transition.
absolutelly
Old 10-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #34
Dawgfan
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Couldn't resist chiming in here.
I went from an 8800 to the iPhone that I received as a gift and while the internet experience on the iPhone is the best I have ever seen on a phone, the rest of the experience is pretty dern vanilla. Not only vanilla but maybe sugar-free vanilla.

What I am saying is that the iPhone does mobile phone, iPod, calendar, camera, sms, maps, basic email and basic internet apps like weather and stocks.

Other than the advantage of the GUI and the internet, the iPhone is alot of hype IMO. I cannot have 3P apps, no IM, no MMS, no copy/paste, etc. Did I mention no 3P apps?? What is up with that??

I am seriously considering selling my iPhone and going back to the BB (new Curve w/ GPS maybe) as I just cannot get over not being able to use apps like Jive Talk, Viigo or something as simple as a password manager. I would miss the nice internet experience but that really is about 10% of the time I spend with the iPhone.

I also have to admit that I am pretty ticked off that the iPhone is such a closed device and Apple is now dropping the hammer on modded iPhones. I personally refuse to have to MOD my phone to get what I want.

The decision is tough but knowing that I can get a new Curve AND a new Nano for what I can sell my iPhone for is pretty tempting. I actually don't use my iPhone as an iPod that much..
Old 10-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #35
Javier Fernandez

Default Blackberry 8100 and Iphone owner.

I trade online as a part-time job. For this the Iphone is years ahead of anything BB makes. Besides this, the media player is awesome and it synchs with my mac without problems. The BB's are handsome, but I am pretty sure the Iphone is the new benchmark to beat, just ask Verizon.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:45 PM   #36
Dawgfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier Fernandez View Post
I trade online as a part-time job. For this the Iphone is years ahead of anything BB makes. Besides this, the media player is awesome and it synchs with my mac without problems. The BB's are handsome, but I am pretty sure the Iphone is the new benchmark to beat, just ask Verizon.
The TWO things you mentioned the iPhone does well. Yes, the internet and iPod functionality are great.

The calendar, email, apps (oh WHAT apps?), etc are neutered. When Steve-O either allows 3P apps or creates them, the iPhone can be a complete phone. Until then it is a phone/iPhone living in a walled garden.

Trust me, Verizon isn't just worried about the iPhone....and their churn isn't exactly hurting..it is market leading actually.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:12 AM   #37
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell
Default Ipod Touch

I bought an iPod touch. It gives me the best of both worlds. I can use my BB for important functional stuff and I can use my Touch for posing!
Old 10-08-2007, 12:46 AM   #38
Dawgfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus View Post
I bought an iPod touch. It gives me the best of both worlds. I can use my BB for important functional stuff and I can use my Touch for posing!
Funny thing is that if I am in a corporat environment and sending an email on my BB it is assumed I am working but if I break out an iPhone I must be playing..luckily where I work all phones are pretty much welcome.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:06 AM   #39
ngregory00

Model: 8320

I'm a total Mac fanatic so in January when the iPhone was announced, I was buying it. Then after the initial excitement wore off, that plan fell by the wayside. Now after the sudden death price drops and phone-bricking software updates, I know I didn't miss out on anything.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #40
wednesday

Model: 8110
Carrier: T-mobile
Default a little.....

having just purchased the white 8100, i was a little gutted that the iphone is due for release over in the uk next month, on the network i have just moved from.

think i will just wait see my contract out and see what kind of state the iphone is in when my contract is up.

Last edited by wednesday; 10-17-2007 at 10:45 AM..
Closed Thread