Old 07-21-2008, 01:09 AM   #1
the_bidness
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default Gmail on Blackberry vs. iPhone

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys,

I've had my iPhone since it came out now...about a year. It still works fine but I'm just getting a little bored, having the same phone for 12 months. I had an 8700 back in the day and my attention's starting to turn to the Blackberry Bold as a possible replacement. (I don't wanna pay $200 to get a new iPhone--same phone just with faster internet).

So now my question: I love how Gmail works with the iPhone. Everything's perfectly reconciled, always. I know a large part of this is the fact that Gmail added IMAP in the past year. When I had my Blackberry, Gmail was pretty cumbersome. The duplicate sent messages, deleting from web doesn't delete from phone (but deleting from phone deletes from web), marking a message read on one doesn't mark as read on the other, etc. Now that Gmail has IMAP, is Blackberry Gmail just as seemless as iPhone Gmail or not really?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 07-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Mike Munoz
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2451368F

Having also had a Pearl, then IPHONE and now a Curve........the Curve is a MUCH better device for all things email.........I have m.google and currently have 3 email addresses running to my BB (including obviously gmail) and ZERO problems........PLUS as you know the touch screen on the IPHONE is garbage for large vloume data input/texting.......
Old 09-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
bellagirl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I too love how Gmail works on the Curve, and have only had mine for about 2 months now. It's so easy for me I rarely use the computer anymore for emailing when only a short email is required...SO easy. Mind you, those issues that you discuss are still there, you can delete from your phone and web at the same time, but not vice versa...and so on. If those are really cumbersome for you, then I would stick with the iPhone. From my limited understanding tho, email is much easier on BB than iPhone.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
Daxx

Model: Bold
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bidness View Post

The duplicate sent messages
I found a way to counteract this by just filtering messages from your address so no copies :D

Havn't yet tried the new google mail app but I think I'll get it tonight.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bidness View Post
Now that Gmail has IMAP, is Blackberry Gmail just as seemless as iPhone Gmail or not really?
Not really is correct. The BB does not support folders unless you are using BES, so unless you want to load the gmail application onto your BB [that is what I do for folder support], then you will only get your inbox. If you set up gmail with IMAP instead of POP then viewing mail on the BB will show it as read on the desktop and you don't have to make a filter to avoid dups. Desktop delete still doesn't delete from the handheld.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 09-28-2008 at 09:54 AM..
Old 09-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
mrtune

Nope, not seamless by any means. You only get new emails going to your inbox and messages deleted from the device can delete from your email account if you choose. That is all you get.

There is a gmail app you can get. From there you can view past messages, mark messages read (read/unread reconcile never worked for me, not sure if it's supposed to), and view you other folders (labels) and emails within them.

I have not found a way to move emails around between folders for archiving puproses.

Apple's IMAP implementation for things like gmail is far better on the iphone. Where the blackberry wins is in email delivery. It's more reliable, kind of. I have issues receiving emails that have attachments that are very large. They either don't come in at all, or they do and can't view anything because I get the attachment is too large error. All other emails come very fast.
Closed Thread