Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
btwilliger

Model: 1200
PIN: N/A
Carrier: rogers
Default BES user wanting to also sync with personal outlook

Please Login to Remove!

I am on a Corporate BES server. All my contacts, calendar entries, and email is synced with it. I also have my own private copy of Outlook at home, again with my own contacts, calendar entries and email.

(note: to clarify... I am sync via USB for my home contacts, and OTA to the corporate BES)

I want to either:

1) sync with the BES server, and also sync with outlook. I don't want any changes from the BES server to effect or be synced with Outlook. I don't mind having both, or one, as the sync master or read only.

2) alternatively, is there a way to just sync email only from the BES, and use my own private calendar and contacts from outlook?

Any other ideas on how to do this in a pleasant manner?

Last edited by btwilliger; 07-08-2008 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 07-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Well, first talk to the BES Admin to see if the company allows this.

My advice however, to anyone on a corporate BES is to keep private/personal data away from it. Get your own device and put your personal email, contacts, calendar info there. I know it is a PITA to look in two places, but it is also much safer that way. The company is paying the bills, it is their device and they actually own what is on it. Your personal stuff will no longer be you personal stuff.

Doesn't really answer your question however.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
btwilliger

No, it doesn't answer my question, so please do not hijack my thread. ;) You are making assumptions about what the device is used for, who owns it, who has permission to make changes, local corporate policy, and many other things.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
TKC
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: 24446E45
Carrier: T-Mobile

Kinda harsh dont you think.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
cme2c

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

I'm a blackberry newbie, but option #2 is likely very easy assuming your BES system allows you to change how you sync. ( I don't even know if that option can be limited by your BES admins, I can turn them off on my device) You can go to calendar, select options and turn off wireless sync. You can do the same for contacts. You can then use Desktop Manager to sync calendar/contacts to Outlook, I think.

I want my personal and business calendars to mix, so right now I am using a BES server with email, tasks, calendar syncing wirelessly. I have Google Calendar sync for blackberry setup on the device and Google sync for Outlook setup on my home computer. It seems to be okay so far, but I will certainly post my experience as any issues come up.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Any change you make on your device with respect to sync settings on a BES will only be temporary. BES policy push will change your settings back. Additionally, any component that is sync'd to your BES cannot be sync'd with your Desktop Manager.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwilliger View Post
... is there a way to just sync email only from the BES, and use my own private calendar and contacts from outlook?

Any other ideas on how to do this in a pleasant manner?
If you BES admin is willing to turn down the sync for all but email, then you can do what you want to do. But as long as that policy is in place, those changes need to be made on the server.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
btwilliger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
If you BES admin is willing to turn down the sync for all but email, then you can do what you want to do. But as long as that policy is in place, those changes need to be made on the server.
Ok, great news then, thanks! Yes, I can choose what I wish to sync, all is well in that respect.

So, I could have contacts / calendar / notes from my Outlook, and only have email sync via the BES. Great news indeed.

Now, about still receiving personal email on the Blackberry. Can I still have my provider forward mail to it, as well as being synced via the BES? Perhaps in a different folder? Or, will I have to push all email through my corporate email address?
Old 07-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
CO_BBTechie

Yes you may have up to 11 personal email accounts via BIS on your device, in addition to the BES account. This is independent of BES settings.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #10
btwilliger

Thanks dude!
Old 07-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #11
CanuckBB

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
Yes you may have up to 11 personal email accounts via BIS on your device, in addition to the BES account. This is independent of BES settings.
Provfing that BES policies allow it. And receiving BIS email is one thing. IT policies may still force outgoing through the BES.

As much as you did not like DubDub's answer, he speaketh the truth. You are always better off keeping personal stuff away from a BES connected device.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
You are making assumptions about what the device is used for, who owns it, who has permission to make changes, local corporate policy, and many other things.
Doesn't matter who owns the device or pays for its service. A Blackberry on BES is a Blackberry on BES.

If it's attached to a BES server it's subject to whatever IT policies are pushed by that BES server. Your BES admin might not restrict anything (we don't). Then again, they might have very tight restrictions. In any case, you're subject to the IT policies in effect as long as you're on that BES server.

1 & 2 are both possible but you'll have to turn off wireless sync (and constantly toggle it for 1).

Last edited by takeshi; 07-09-2008 at 09:19 AM..
Old 07-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #13
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
No, it doesn't answer my question, so please do not hijack my thread. ;) You are making assumptions about what the device is used for, who owns it, who has permission to make changes, local corporate policy, and many other things.

Logical assumptions that anyone would make for someone on BES. For a person with only 5 posts you are trying to win friends and get help in the wrong way.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 07-09-2008 at 12:04 PM..
Old 07-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #14
btwilliger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Logical assumptions that anyone would make for someone on BES. For a person with only 5 posts you are trying to win friends and get help in the wrong way.
And, you hijacked my thread.
Closed Thread