Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

$300?

Is that with a contract?

Wow.

They are brave with the iPhone going for $200.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #22
enrich2u

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone
Angry

The strange thing is though; T-Mobile subscribers will have to fork out an extra $50.00, which does seem a little unfair.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #23
customshopkv1
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

I think I will see how the CDMA devices (Possible Bold and Thunder) pan out. But I amvery interested in the reviews once people start picking them up.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #24
MBW
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110

This is not a good versus evil decision - it's more about you than about the phone.

If the center of your life involves messages and applications and more work than play, and if you do a lot of typing on a handset, wait for Bold.

If the center of your life involves entertainment and games and music and videos and you generally don't type much on the handset, go with the new iPhone next month; that's especially true if you (like my wife) plan on spending that government stimulus check to buy an iPod.

As to the timing - I have no certain information about this - but I believe it's likely that Apple twisted AT&T's arm to get 90 days in the 3G clear before the Bold would be approved to compete.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #25
joec
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: att
Default Bold for me

Apple could have added functionality that would have helped it compete more favorably with the BB. Unfortunately they blew it.

No cut and paste, can't customize email alerts so you can hear them, MMS ??

How about rubberizing the sides like the curve so it doesn’t slip out of your hands, they just don't get it...

They could have improved their biggest nemesis the keyboard by adding auto text like Blackberry.

It will be a great entertainment device especially at $199, but you still need to carry a Blackberry for the serious stuff.

Hello Bold....
Old 06-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #26
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBW View Post
This is not a good versus evil decision - it's more about you than about the phone.

If the center of your life involves messages and applications and more work than play, and if you do a lot of typing on a handset, wait for Bold.

If the center of your life involves entertainment and games and music and videos and you generally don't type much on the handset, go with the new iPhone next month; that's especially true if you (like my wife) plan on spending that government stimulus check to buy an iPod.

As to the timing - I have no certain information about this - but I believe it's likely that Apple twisted AT&T's arm to get 90 days in the 3G clear before the Bold would be approved to compete.
I like the tone of your post but you miss the fact that the keyboard is entirely based on personal preference, same as everything else. It is indeed about the user and not the phone, buy and use what you want. Especially now that they both do very similar things.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #27
shona67

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Thumbs down Tricky Quote from BB Founder

"It's hard to type on a piece of glass (iPhone)"

BlackBerry's RIM Founder Mike Lazaridis

...and yet RIM actually is prepared to release a first Touchscreen BlackBerry Thunder. Isn't it ironic?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #28
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile

I use both a curve and iPhone on a daily basis and I am a little torn over the iPhone2 or the bold. My random iPhone/Blackberry thoughts........

1. It is so hard to go back to the small blackberry screen after using the huge iPhone screen for awhile.

2. I commute two hours a day, so the web browsing on the iPhone comes in really handy. The browser combined with the big screen is awesome.

3. I watch alot of tech videos on the iPhone during my commute. Once again the media player, plus the large screen really help.

4. Email is far far better on the blackberry. It takes about five clicks on my iPhone to check multiple email accounts.

5. JiveTalk on the blackberry is awesome. I guess there will be plenty of 3rd party IM apps though for the iPhone

6. I love the iPhone keyboard and can type way faster on the iPhone than I can on my blackberry.

7. Heavy 3rd party app users will probably find a far better selection on the iPhone than the blackberry.

8. I love both devices, and the competition between the two will makes things better for the consumer.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #29
Delorean2006

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyn View Post
Just got an e mail from Apple that the new 3G iPhone will launch July 11th. Torn between staying with my BB and holding out for the BOLD or going with the iPhone....Decisions, decisions........Seems certain now the BOLD will launch after the 3G iPhone from AT&T. Guess this announcement cements the fact BOLD will launch after iPhone.
engadget has an article about the bold and it will launch on June 25th for AT&T and Rogers, so it will release before the iPhone 3G
Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #30
Rat_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec View Post
No cut and paste, can't customize email alerts so you can hear them, MMS ??
You mean you can't tell on an iPhone when you get a new email?

And what is the difference between an MMS and an Email?

I basically just use the emails, calendar, contacts, web browser and telephone on my device.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #31
mortys11

Model: BOLD
Carrier: rogers

$199 sounds good up front but i hear the rogers data wont be $30 like Att&T

look for $39.99 or $49.99 capped data + a $20 min voice plan

this fon is all "back loaded costs"

i think if they made the .mac/mobile me package $29.99 a yr they would sell more than 5x the subscriptions

Last edited by mortys11; 06-10-2008 at 10:56 AM..
Old 06-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #32
test54
BlackBerry Master

Yes there is an alert sound for new email on iphone, its not too loud though. Also you can see on homepage the number of emails.
The new phone has new speakers and Jobs says its louder, have to wait and see.
I have no issues with it myself as I have the sound turned off as I check every so often by habit.

MMS is like a text message only your sending video / picture.

mortys, yeah with AT&T its just the same as other 3G data plans - per eze.
but are you surprised that Rogers is more $$, aren't they always more than the US counterparts?

Last edited by test54; 06-10-2008 at 10:57 AM..
Old 06-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #33
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat_Boy View Post
Maybe I am stupid or something, but what MORON would pay $395 for a 1st Gen Iphone right now?
You are right. I look at the price people are asking for a iPhone on eBay and laugh. Their value has diminished with the news of a $200 iPhone2
Old 06-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #34
test54
BlackBerry Master

how about this

"There would be penalties for users who do not activate the iPhone in the first 30 days, AT&T said, in a move aimed at reducing the number of customers who buy an iPhone and tweak the software so they can use it on another network." - reuters.

If thats true, you will have alot of angry hackers / resellers out there.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #35
mortys11

Model: BOLD
Carrier: rogers

new iphone wont be availble for purchase without a contract...look for the price to hold unless all current owners upgrade and dump!

currently and after july11th where can u get an iphone without contract????

Last edited by mortys11; 06-10-2008 at 01:01 PM..
Old 06-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #36
PPCMD

Model: 8820

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettochild View Post
Here you go again taking yet another cheap shot at the iPhone. How about reading the iPhone specs? Then again, you wouldn't let facts get in your way of iPhone hating.

Sad. You.
I didn't see it as a cheap shot but rather a comment based out of fact. When your iPhone battery dies you have to find an outlet and plug it in, when you iPhone battery will no longer hold a decent charge you have to send it in.

When you BlackBerry battery runs down you can either plug it in, swap out your dead battery for a fresh one, then you can either put it in th cradle with battery slot or charge them when you get home.

Either way Apple doesn't let you field swap their battery it wouldn't matter whose battery is more miserly on power consumption if you can't swap it your self.

Maybe it was a nice comment but it was based on facts. This from a big Apple user but not a blind one.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #37
test54
BlackBerry Master

PPCMD, check the other thread for your "blind" comments.

As for the Battery, it is what it is, If it will not work for your needs then do not buy it. Simple as that.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #38
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

I will likely get both why? I say why not? I won't abandon my BB's but I have a 3rd line available as an employee so maybe Ill get an iphone2 just for the fun of it
Old 06-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #39
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
PPCMD, check the other thread for your "blind" comments.

As for the Battery, it is what it is, If it will not work for your needs then do not buy it. Simple as that.
and they say I am snippy
Old 06-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #40
test54
BlackBerry Master

yeah your right on both counts, I was too snippy there. and yes they do say your snippy.

i think its a habit, people have been really well behaved today with all the iphone talk. Kudos to everyone on that.

Last edited by test54; 06-10-2008 at 03:01 PM..
Closed Thread