Yeah please go on
Old 05-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #22
Outrigger
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranakin View Post
I don't understand this argument. What "function" will be lost by sticking to a Pearl-shape form? QWERTY keyboard and slightly larger screen are the only things I can think of. If RIM stuffed all the same new features into a Pearl, the "function" would the same.
QWERTY and slightly larger screen are pretty big "things" to many people.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #23
Dawgfan

Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranakin View Post
I think the Bold will only appeal to the base who are used to using the larger sized BB - I personally don't want to move from my Pearl to larger phone. SureType works great and the phone doesn't weight down my suit jacket or blazer.
I work in this industry and I cannot tell you how many people feel this exact same way.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:52 AM   #24
nfl46
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

The 3G iPhone will dominate this summer! Reason-being: The iPhone will now appeal to business customers.

It will sale more than the BOLD and Xperia for sure.

Last edited by nfl46; 05-21-2008 at 01:53 AM..
Old 05-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #25
Outrigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
The 3G iPhone will dominate this summer! Reason-being: The iPhone will now appeal to business customers.

Stating ANY one specific device will dominate this summer has got to be the dummest comment I have ever seen, and I've seen my fair share. And the reason being that it will now appeal to business customers because it has 3G... yeah, that makes more sense now
Old 05-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #26
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by doe4040 View Post
Yeah please go on
It is fairly obvious that iPhone is more then a "fashion accessory".

Obviously it looks nice and has been marketed very well. But to focus solely on that ignores the fact that it has:

the best mobile web browsing anywhere

pretty good synchronization with your PC (calendar, contacts, email, bookmarks, photos, music)

good enough email for a majority of people (15 min timed sync with POP and IMAP, full HTML)

great storage capacity (8 or 16gb)

the best mobile video playback

the ability to buy music OTA from the most popular music store on earth

Support for video rentals via itunes

A decent camera

These are all features people actually use. (see the fact that iPhone users are 50x more likely to use the web browser then any other smartphone users) Just because the iPhone doesnt have the one feature you want, or because you have an irrational dislike of Apple as a company or its users as a group doesnt change the fact that Apple has made a supremely attractive and usable smartphone that is selling as fast as they can make them. This is their first phone (does anyone remember RIM's first phone?) the next version (with exchange support and support for 3rd party applications) is going to be even more successful.

Ignore them if you want, write them off as a fashion accessory. But you wont see their competitors doing that.

To the point of the thread:

Personally this year will see the choice between:

BB 9000 with T-Mobile 3g: I could get rid of my Sprint data card and use tethering. The better battery life and hardware keyboard are attractive as well. I am worried the browser will not measure up to mobile Safari.

iPhone 2.0: I am very happy with the current iPhone, this will be even better. I would miss out on 3g since I use T-Mobile and have to keep paying for my data card. The current battery life is only barely enough for me, hopefully it improves.

Nokia E71 with T-Mobile 3g: hasnt been officially announced. It would be a curve sized device with a great web browser, monster battery and the ability to use BB connect. Might be a good compromise, if it is ever actually released.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #27
ak2g

Model: 8300
PIN: 205ADEEC
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland View Post
Maybe on your side of the pond, however, here in the States, people are sadly, very well versed on cell phone technology. People know that 3g is where it's at, although, most of them don't even know what it is, but they know they must have it.
i don't usually post on this forum but I have to say your quote above is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

The fact is that the US market is way behind the other "side of the pond" mobile telecommunications-wise. The same fact applies when comparing the european market to the Japanese market. People here in the States are not "well versed" on cell phone technology as you claim: !fact!

The poster is correct in the assumption that the 3g iPhone will sell more in Europe because it's added the significant missing option of 3G and its ease of use will appeal to users over there too. But mostly, the price point will be lower and comparable to similarly well-specced devices there. Note the coming change in Apple's strategy, price and distribution wise.

I, for one, know the Bold will be a huge seller both sides of the pond as Corporates customers upgrade & acquire new licenses. But to get to the next level, RIM will have to get the Bold out in the Curve's form factor (watch this space Q4'08, no more 8x10 with GPS but no wifi etc)

That quote just annoyed me, is all
Old 05-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #28
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

does anyone remember RIM's first phone?

Yeah, it looked like a pager.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #29
mlx52
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8110

Quote:

There was a news story yesterday about how, even refurbished iPhone's that had been cleaned and memory wiped, people could still access the old users data. If this remains the case, I don't see the iPhone dominating in any business arena. Blackberry is still the clear winner in this case, and if the new 9000 features support for iTunes protected songs, I won't even look at the new iPhone.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #30
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlx52 View Post
There was a news story yesterday about how, even refurbished iPhone's that had been cleaned and memory wiped, people could still access the old users data. If this remains the case, I don't see the iPhone dominating in any business arena. Blackberry is still the clear winner in this case, and if the new 9000 features support for iTunes protected songs, I won't even look at the new iPhone.
This fact hasn't stopped Win Mobile from being a popular business platform.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #31
mlx52
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
This fact hasn't stopped Win Mobile from being a popular business platform.
Excellent point, I stand corrected.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #32
nfl46
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
Stating ANY one specific device will dominate this summer has got to be the dummest comment I have ever seen, and I've seen my fair share. And the reason being that it will now appeal to business customers because it has 3G... yeah, that makes more sense now
We shall see! That cannot be the dumbest comment you have ever see! Don't be surprised if you to big corporations with an iPhone instead of a BOLD. haha!!

Microsoft Exchange is one of the main reasons! I never said the reason being was b/c of 3G!

3G, Microsoft Exchange, GPS and more memory (32GB) on the new 3G iPhone is enough to appeal to business customers.

Please don't take words out of my mouth!

Last edited by nfl46; 05-21-2008 at 12:21 PM..
Old 05-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #33
Outrigger

Quote:
We shall see! That cannot be the dumbest comment you have ever see! Don't be surprised if you to big corporations with an iPhone instead of a BOLD. haha!!

Microsoft Exchange is one of the main reasons! I never said the reason being was b/c of 3G!

3G, Microsoft Exchange, GPS and more memory (32GB) on the new 3G iPhone is enough to appeal to business customers.

Please don't take words out of my mouth!
So how would the IT dept implement and control the iphone 2? what security features does it have to make the device secure from unauthorized access? how would the IT dept do a remote wipe of the device if it was ever lost? how would the IT dept allow/restrict certain features and functions on the iphone according to company policy?

The fact that you're just focusing on the "fun" aspect like merely more memory and GPS clearly shows that you have no experience dealing with corporate customers.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #34
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

I think it will be interesting to see how the overseas vendors sell the iphone now, its rumored that apple has allowed them to charge what they want and offer it subsidized with new contracts and such like they would with other phones. I think thats the wildcard in this, they could sell alot of units in the countries that will have it for sale.

They definitely will have more hype and ads out this summer than any other company. And its all good as the competition brings out the best products from them all.

Outrigger - they have full Exchange on it as of 2.0 software - includes the remote wipe.

"Enterprise features in iPhone 2.0 software beta.
Upcoming iPhone support for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and industry-standard corporate security standards will allow IT professionals to seamlessly integrate iPhone into their enterprise environments. New features include:

Push email
Push contacts
Push calendar
Global Address List
Certificates and identities
WPA2/802.1X
Enforced security policies
More VPN protocols
Device configuration
Remote wipe" - from apple.com, currently beta testing with a few fortune 500 companies. TO be a part of 2.0 software.

Countries with iphone either being sold or it's on its way. iPhone world distribution : The Boy Genius Report

Last edited by test54; 05-21-2008 at 02:06 PM..
Old 05-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #35
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

From what I read from people who are beta testing the 3g iphone. There are IT policies and remote wipe for the Iphone 2.0. Now how good it works or usable or comparable the platform is to BES is a toss up unless someone who Beta testxxx8217;s it can shed some light in this thread. Rimm has the advantage because the have had years of experience in this arena. The best comparison I can come up with is when the Japanese first entered the US car making market. You were laughed at if you had a Datsun or Honda accord. Ford and GM dominated and got fat. Now the tables have turned and the Japanese are kicking butt in the US car making industry. If Rimm isnxxx8217;t careful it can happen to them. Competition is great for the consumer and I am looking forward to all the releases. I would love an Iphone 2.0 but refuse to deal with ATT. So itxxx8217;s looking like a Bold for me. I honestly think the Iphone should License the Blackberry connect technology and make it a native app before Rimm puts out a touch screen. Just my thought!

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 05-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #36
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhne
PIN: point

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcrn View Post
From what I read from people who are beta testing the 3g iphone. There are IT policies and remote wipe for the Iphone 2.0. Now how good it works or usable or comparable the platform is to BES is a toss up unless someone who Beta test’s it can shed some light in this thread. Rimm has the advantage because the have had years of experience in this arena. The best comparison I can come up with is when the Japanese first entered the US car making market. You were laughed at if you had a Datsun or Honda accord. Ford and GM dominated and got fat. Now the tables have turned and the Japanese are kicking butt in the US car making industry. If Rimm isn’t careful it can happen to them. Competition is great for the consumer and I am looking forward to all the releases. I would love an Iphone 2.0 but refuse to deal with ATT. So it’s looking like a Bold for me. I honestly think the Iphone should License the Blackberry connect technology and make it a native app before Rimm puts out a touch screen. Just my thought!
There are rumors of that very thing possibly happening.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #37
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: rogers(thiefs)

I know this is a blackberry website but lets think logically for a second, just because blackberry has dominated the business world doesn't necessarily mean it is the best. I dont mean to offend anyone but look at vista.
Its called competition it pushes you and makes you better. Who has competed with BB WinMo, haha, palm who? A worthy competitor has entered the market with a lot of the features that people love on there BB's. saying its just 'fun' or 'fashion' is wrong on so many levels.

Now obviously iPhone wont take over the corporate industry but you cant dismiss it as a worthy phone in that area be cause it combines the best of an iPod touch and a BB and the BOLD is closing that gap as well.
In my humble opinion.
On a side note the iPhone is one model but appeals to so many different markets so not only does it compete with BB phones but media phones like the n95 which is another reason it is such a popular device.

All that still leaves me not knowing which one i want
Old 05-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #38
Blackberryer

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger View Post
I know this is a blackberry website but lets think logically for a second, just because blackberry has dominated the business world doesn't necessarily mean it is the best. I dont mean to offend anyone but look at vista.
Its called competition it pushes you and makes you better. Who has competed with BB WinMo, haha, palm who? A worthy competitor has entered the market with a lot of the features that people love on there BB's. saying its just 'fun' or 'fashion' is wrong on so many levels.

Now obviously iPhone wont take over the corporate industry but you cant dismiss it as a worthy phone in that area be cause it combines the best of an iPod touch and a BB and the BOLD is closing that gap as well.
In my humble opinion.
On a side note the iPhone is one model but appeals to so many different markets so not only does it compete with BB phones but media phones like the n95 which is another reason it is such a popular device.

All that still leaves me not knowing which one i want
I own an iPHone and I can tell you if you need a smartphone for business, it is incredibly deficient. They're going to have to bridge a few productivity gaps in order to touch the BB's package. iPhone doesn't even offer a basic "To Do" application as of yet, so before we suggest that RIM is in trouble in the corporate sector, let's wait and see what iPhone 2.0 looks like.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #39
plakius
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon

iPhone is exactly that .... A PHONE .... anyone who utilizes a blackberry will never downgrade from a powerhouse to a pretty toy ...... I shoot over 3,000 texts a month and who knows how many emails .... touch screen will never do ... and BB messenger ...need i say more ..... Blackberry proves through and through ..... yes iPhone will always dominate the market but at the same time how many dumb people do you meet in a day VS smart ones?..... i meet more jackasses than people who have a clue ..... therefore dumb people dominate the world ....
Old 05-21-2008, 11:58 PM   #40
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: rogers(thiefs)

Previous two posts depict the difference in markets of the two phones precisely. People will get what they need, and i don't think i need all of that a blackberry offers. Plus the iPhone 2G will be much cheaper!
Closed Thread