BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
danielccc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: Telstra
Default Trading my Curve for an Iphone...

Please Login to Remove!

i'm devastated just to say this but it is now time to move from blackberry to iphone until RIM fix there issues...

The Blackberry OS WAS amazing... it is now a slow, buggy & a memory leaking POS. I believe that the 8700 was major milestone.... all the other 8 series devices are so terrible... such small incremental updates... with large price tags... I have had a chance to review the now delayed 9 series... even that was very unimpressive when compared to other phones already on the market...

Every piece of third party software that is any good you have to pay for... there are already over 1000 open source apps for iphone... there is an open source package that converts iphones email ability to function with push so RIM have so much work to do just to become even with these people....

I have been waiting for the 4.3 OS for so long yet it delivers nothing...

It's a sad day indeed.

R.I.P. RIM

May be back when the 10000 is released
Old 01-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
kdog1176
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Good luck.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
StephBKNY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A

My fiance turned in his iPhone for a Curve, after only 4 days! Read here before you buy:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-converts.html
Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

My wife loves her iPhone, but then it's novelty features are enough to keep her happy. She's no power user. More of a dilettante playing at being a techno-geek. Multimedia is more important to her than communication, so it's a perfect fit. I send an average of 60 to 80 emails, texts, and BB Messenger communiques each day. I need a real keyboard and a device that always works, and works well. Blackberry: accept no substitutes.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
jwalia

Model: 8800

ah i just traded in my iphone for the curve!! much better!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Let's see 4.2 isn't even thatt old! Like windows release os updates that often. Aren't iPhone updates incremental too. Then there is palm os.........
Old 01-28-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
danielccc

yes there is nothing wrong with incremental upgrade is you have a good base... The current OS 4 base is weak and very un-impressive
Old 01-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #8
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielccc View Post
all the other 8 series devices are so terrible... such small incremental updates...
I don't know how you can even say that about Blackberry when Apple is known for their little, tiny, updates that everyone goes crazy about. Even when there is hardly any change what so ever.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:43 PM   #9
danielccc

Yes but apple would never release software in the state that RIM does. Good software developers tackle all major issues before release... god forbid you have a major issue after it would be rectified quickly.

RIM does not follow this plan. They need have a much more rigorous beta phase... they try and make their betas so secret but in the end it only damages them because they release very poor software.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:30 AM   #10
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Yes but apple would never release software in the state that RIM does. Good software developers tackle all major issues before release... god forbid you have a major issue after it would be rectified quickly.
Obviously you never used Mac OSX 10.1 or 10.2 They were continuations of the original public beta.

RIM's OS is solid. Actually, it's the most stable thing out there. But if a developer releases a buggy piece of software there is little RIM can do.

The Blackberry OS is not perfect - nothing is. But the faults are, IMHO, minor annoyances at worst. Like the memory leak. For me, I'm changing between several different Blackberrys enough that I don't come across this issue.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #11
ubizmo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
I have been waiting for the 4.3 OS for so long yet it delivers nothing...
I don't have it yet, but I'm under the impression that it offers video capture and streaming for the Curve, html mail, browser enhancements, and other UI improvements. How do these add up to nothing?
Old 01-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #12
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

i believe the reason for the wait on the new OS is because they want it to be near perfect for release... i dont think any company wants to release a new OS and have nothing but problems... hence the beta testing, they report all the problems, and they may have found more then RIM was expecting so they pushed back the date to make everyone happy...

RIM is doing good in my opinion, the last thing i want is to load 4.3(4.5) and have to downgrade because of all the bugs... i know that when they do release it and i go to load it i wont be downgrading because of a major issue
Old 01-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
danielccc

Cory Scheuer:
I believe its common practice for a business to thoroughly test their products before release... off course its common sense. But I disagree RIM do this well. i'm actually surprised some members here believe the OS to be so stable.

I have a lot of respect for this community and many of the members in it. So I made my Operator give me a new 8300 and I Updated to the latest firmware... I find the same problems. I would never make this claims without thorough testing. and to be honest its almost annoying that other people are not having my issues ;P

Ubizmo:
I have used a beta of the 4.3 OS and as it was an early beta I did not believe web browsing to be anything special. thats not to say they have not overhauled it.

I don't think we will get great browsing until OS 5.0

rambo47:
I take your point

But one thing that seems to be a fuzzy line is gimic vs use. People stop referring to a feature as a gimic once they find it useful.

I find most features on the iphone useful. Especially the unlimted number of third party apps for SSH and anything you could imagine... No trials.. just free open source software...

But I do love the Berry
Old 01-30-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
I find most features on the iphone useful. Especially the unlimted number of third party apps for SSH and anything you could imagine... No trials.. just free open source software...

But I do love the Berry
If you want the very best multimedia iPod out there, with best-in-class browser, media player, color screen and overall multimedia capability - with no ability to replace the battery, mediocre email and a relatively crappy phone thrown in - then enjoy your iPhone.

If on the other hand your priorities are a great phone, best-in-class email capability, with some mediocre multimedia capabilities thrown in - then let us know when you change your mind and return to BlackBerry.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:26 PM   #15
danielccc

DallasFlier:
Some great points... I happen to agree with all of them... There is an update that allows me to use push email...

there is lots of food for thought there
Old 01-31-2008, 07:27 PM   #16
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
DallasFlier:
Some great points... I happen to agree with all of them... There is an update that allows me to use push email...

there is lots of food for thought there
I believe true "push" email requires servers somewhere doing the pushing, its not something that can be done with any software update on the device itself. Where are the servers doing the "pushing" and who's providing and maintaining them?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:11 PM   #17
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

well if you make the purchase feel free to use the BBF sister site iphonesource.com, might as well stay in the family of forums.

I made the switch and have been happy but nothing's perfect. Its all about priorities.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:17 PM   #18
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

yup frequent iphonesource quite a bit looking for answer that customers have and TEST54 seems to be the one who answers them all

I won't trade in my BB for an iphone but I do want one to use and play
Old 02-12-2008, 01:38 AM   #19
lolaisodd

Model: xxxx
Carrier: Singtel

Let me know how the iPhone deal goes. I love it when my friend who's carrying an iPhone and I stand side by side and ....

I am the quickest one to get the emails and the rss feeds, am the snap-happy one who takes pictures on the spot and sends it to all my contacts via email, BlackBerry Messenger or upload to Facebook and I receive the fastest Facebook notification while he stands around and only gets to expand and contract those pictures he uploaded into his iPhone and hopes that we walk into a WiFi zone so that he can hope to experience a little of the joy I am getting all day long just by having a BlackBerry which is admittedly not as good-looking as his iPhone but gives me a greater deal of pleasure by being itself.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #20
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: The New AT&T

Good luck with your trade. I hate to see people make rash decisions with no
evidentiary basis. I hope youre not making this decision based on the Apple hype. If so, you will be seriously disappointed. The Blackberry is a workhorse, the iphone is a showpiece. You will be trading in productivity for ooo's and ahhs.

Politicin' 24/7
Closed Thread