Old 06-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #21
Dirky
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlemon747 View Post
If you must go to a windows mobile device (anytime in the future), I would suggest the att 8125 or tilt version of that (I think the blackjack and tilt cost the same for monthly charges). I realize it costs more to buy then a blackjack but my father owns one and feels it is superior to blackberry and the iphone. It has little flaws and the only real problem is it is big. Good to here blackberry is the same price.
Tilt? TyTn II? shuuudder :(
In my opinion it does not compare to a Curve. Well it does have 3g but thats about it. See my brief comparison on my blog at:-

Here we go with another mobile phone rant/rave post! at Mike Dentxxx8217;s xxx8216;ickle Home (thing)xxx8230;

Mike
Old 06-21-2008, 07:39 AM   #22
chomiczewski

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I went with an iPhone for a year, but the email was horrible. Some emails would take forever to open and then on some occasions it would say it was not able to download from server even though I could see the first couple of lines in the summary screen. It's a nice phone with lots of cool features, but in the end it was the email, ring volume and battery life that forced my to drop kick it out of my life. I found despite all the nice features, the core need for email and to hear my phone when it rang was paramount.

I only wished I could have waited for the Bold to come out, but the itch was horrible and I got the Curve.

Mark
Old 06-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #23
BadWolf
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirky View Post
Tilt? TyTn II? shuuudder :(
In my opinion it does not compare to a Curve. Well it does have 3g but thats about it. See my brief comparison on my blog at:-

Here we go with another mobile phone rant/rave post! at Mike Dent’s ‘ickle Home (thing)…

Mike
My TyTn II is sitting under my desk unused. Great hardware, let down by crappy software, and the keyboard, IMO, is poor.

My Curve however is a wonderful device and there is no way I will go back now.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #24
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Most likely his business is dumping BES - I don't see good alternative with Exchange Push on its own, yet with "Microsoft System Center Mobile Device Manager 2008" it gets close (1 platform of course). I'd rather not use Microsoft smartphones (just preference of ease of use and navigation and simple features lacking: oh yeah the OS just supported copy & paste hehe Smartphone Edition).

Another possible solution is thinking of the newly announced Nokia E71 (technically its on par with the BB Bold); however rumor has it this caused RIM & Nokia a tussle and BBConnect will not be rebuilt for it. You have the ability to switch homescreen profiles and links for Personal / Work (Email accounts also switch: Both support MS Push and still come through regardless of the profile your in). Thousands of useful applications, VPN support built-in, VoIP also, and those updates occur every few mths so its good.

Check out a few articles on various platforms: what software options/abilities they offer that'll suit ur work & personal needs (its your device now), and narrow it down to 3 devices (mix up the form-factor as well keyboard, slider with keyboard, touchscreen, touch+keyboard etc). Once you've got UR final 3 ask the admins if they'll be supported to corporate needs.

If the change seems so arcane and unbearably difficult, there's always a chance for a lateral move to another company that KEEPS their BES. ;)
Old 06-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #25
gdrumm

Model: 8703
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroher View Post
I have been a BB user for 10 years now and currently use the BB Curve through AT&T.

With my company cutting back expenses they are requesting I switch fro BB to something like the Blackjack II which will allow me to still pick up Outlook emails but I will save by not have the extra costs of the BB Plan.

How dissapointed will I be with the Blackjack II and is there another option you would recommend?

Thanks
Sounds like the company doesn't want to pay for another anual support license for their BES server. Considering the cost per license, this can run into hundreds of thousands of dollars, depending on the number of employees.

Not totally familiar with the BJII, but I have used the Moto Q and I loved it. It works directly with Exchange, via OWA, and syncs email beautifully. It is, however; a lot different that the BB.

I did switch to the Curve (for work), but I basically have a dozen BES licenses sitting around and I just moved away from the Q to try something different for a little while. Admitedly, I like the Curve's battery life MUCH better than the Q. The Q and the BJII are so similar, I would imagine you'll get about the same performance.
Closed Thread