Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
OliverSparrow

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Default Desktop manager chaos

Please Login to Remove!

My telephone service provided / pushed a handset upgrade on me. The new (Bold 9780) came with a CD, which I installed. After installation, the program (6.0) died as soon as it tried to start. I Googled around, and found that it is a .Net problem. An entire morning was spent upgrading to .Net 4.0 via all of the interim steps and interative security downloads, restarts and so forth. Version 6 still did not work. Very well, erase and replace with 6.01. Same problem.

Right, replace with 5.0 from the original telephone. That is no longer able to see the telephone, although the PC does. (The desktop app is flagged as "disconnected".)

So, perhaps the USB driver is bad. Replace the USB driver with C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\USB Drivers\RimUsbNT.inf
No change. Try every USB slot on the machine: no dice.

One should emphasise that each reinstallation of this ridiculously huge software take 20 minutes on very fast machine. I have wasted 24 hours on something that should not be a problem. Plainly, without backup and restore I cannot transfer between telephones, so I am stuck. The rest of the RIM desktop system - synchronisation, etc - is not used. I simply want to clone my existing apps, appearance and so forth onto the new machine. This should take two minutes. It has not done so.

A basic question, therefore: I have taken a copy of the file structure in my current BlackBerry, a Curve 8350. Can I simply paste this into the new machine, or is that far too simple for the refined minds of RIM? If not, what am I to do?
Old 06-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Desktop manager chaos

we are in no way connected to RIM. We are all volunteers and BB enthusiasts, so please keep that in mind.

You probably have a few corrupt/incompatible files someplace, so my solution would be to wipe the device with Jl_cmdr (see the FAQ) and then reload the OS, probably the one from the CD and see if it works.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-19-2011, 05:34 AM   #3
OliverSparrow

I do not know what you mean be "reload the OS". I am not going to reload Windows, and the telephone's OS is neither here nor there.

Whoopy for volunteers, but - no offence, please - could someone who knows something about this issue please tell what what to do? I particular, can I simply copy the file structure across using Windows Explorer and hope to see my preferences, apps and so on replicated on the new machine?

Last edited by OliverSparrow; 06-19-2011 at 05:36 AM..
Old 06-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

1 - Answer to last question, No.

2 - Obviously, you have problems with your computer. Maybe that isn't exactly your fault, or maybe it is; but don't blame it on Desktop Manager.

3 - Work on the attitude. Mya guess is you aren't going to fix the problem because you are finding fault with the wrong things and don't seem to get the basics. At any rate, this may be the last response you get from anybody hear.

So much for volunteers. We aren't paid to help and we don't have to pretend to like you.

Bye.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 06-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #5
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Whoopy for volunteers indeed!! If it weren't for the kind people on this forum, i could not have resurrected my challenged blackberry's on many occasions.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
OliverSparrow

Dear Harkness:

First, find the source of error.

Start> Programs> Administrative tools> Computer management
Select Event viewer and in that, Application

Scroll down to red Error sign.

Here is an example:

.Net runtime 2.0 error reporting

Right click to see the details.

EventType clr20r3, P1 rim.desktop.exe, P2 6.1.0.35, P3 4dee095a, P4 rim.desktop, P5 6.1.0.35, P6 4dee095a, P7 14, P8 1f, P9 system.typeinitialization, P10 NIL.

So, now you know that the rim.desktop has caused an error with .Net 2

Second: the next trick is to repair .Net 2, which is a part of some Windows operating systems and which cannot be removed and reinstalled like a program. Or at least it can, but by non-trivial means.

Full re-installation is delicate, as you have to manually remove the files and registry entries, or use a tool that erases all .Net and then reinstall the lot, plus all the updates and security fixes. That takes at least three re-boots and more visits to Microsoft updates.

This radical clean up tool is described here:

(I have removed h t t p / / : and put spaces after the dots because this site won't let me post URLs. How useful of it. )

blogs. msdn. com /b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

A simpler approach is to download the most recent .Net 2.2 files, which is at:

three doubleUs . microsoft. com /download/en /details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=1639
(NB substitute for three doubleUs: same reason as above.)

You want a file called NetFx20SP2_x86.exe

Do not install this. Instead, unzip it with e.g. WinZip into a prepared folder, for example c:\Temporary, which I have called [YF] below. This gives a complex tree structure, which you should open fully to find

[YF]\wcu\dotNetFramework\dotNetFX20\Netfx20a_x86.msi

Where [YF] is the folder into which you unzipped the archive, as above. Leave that window open, but go to:

Start> Settings> Control panel> Add or Remove Programs

Locate Microsoft .Net Framework 2 Service Pack 2

Click on "Click here for support information" and NOT on Change or Remove

A rough looking panel comes up, offering Repair or Close. Click on Repair and it will prompt for the location of the Netfx20a_x86.msi file, which is as shown above.

Browse to that and tell it to continue. It repairs - whatever that actually means - .Net 2 SR 2. You must reboot, to much background activity when Windows next starts.

... which may or may not get your Desktop software going, Harkness with the strangely attractive dobermann eyes, or it may not. If it does not, then it is about a day's worth of reinstallation of the entire .Net structure, its updates and other little tweaks. During which you may lose Windows. Thanks, Research Immotile.

Last edited by OliverSparrow; 06-19-2011 at 12:07 PM..
Closed Thread