Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
psplova45

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Default White screen, but vibrates when incoming text

Please Login to Remove!

hey i bought a blackberry off ebay, it is in the post now, i was told that he dropped it and now there is a white screen and also it vibrates when there is an incoming call or text. does this mean the screen needs replacement or what?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
gambit007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: vodacom
Default Re: White screen, but vibrates when incoming text

Honestly, this white screen issue seems to be regular occurrence. While dropping the phone may have definitely contributed to it. However I recently read the retailers and
carriers have been telling customers that they should, atleast once a week, let the battery die completely and remove the battery for a few hours. This apparently goes along way avoiding WSOD (white screen of death). So try this before replacing the screen.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

That doesn't sound anywhere near useful to me.

My first hand experience with the white screen on a 9700 is it was caused by a drop, or at least that was the drop that finally broke it completely. Device worked otherwise, and I even successfully upgraded the OS with it in that state. But don't know what's involved in fixing it.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
gambit007
Thumbs Must Hurt

@ aiharkness, WOSD is not only caused by a drop, and i have dropped my 8520 a couple of times and no white screen..there are some software issues involved.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I was referring to the advice regarding running the battery flat and then taking it out for a few hours every week. I don't believe that is good advice any which way and don't see how it is going to solve any problems much less prevent any.

But any time you have a software solution to white screen when everything else works fine, just jump right in. I'm willing to learn.

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-28-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Old 12-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
gambit007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I was referring to the advice regarding running the battery flat and then taking it out for a few hours every week. I don't believe that is good advice any which way and don't see how it is going to solve any problems much less prevent any.

But any time you have a software solution to white screen when everything else works fine, just jump right in. I'm willing to learn.

After seeing many users having white screen issues, i googled a bit and found this link:
BlackBerry White Screen of Death - How to Fix and Prevent the BlackBerry WSOD

Have look and give me your opinion on the advice given in link above. As the 8520 i have is my first blackberry althought i am familiar with s60 smartphones.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit007 View Post
After seeing many users having white screen issues, i googled a bit and found this link:
BlackBerry White Screen of Death - How to Fix and Prevent the BlackBerry WSOD

Have look and give me your opinion on the advice given in link above. As the 8520 i have is my first blackberry althought i am familiar with s60 smartphones.
Quote:
If you go for too long without restarting your BlackBerry, you may eventually experience the dreaded white screen of death. Here's info on how to fix it and prevent future WSOD errors
On every blackberry I've had, I hardly ever do hard resets. Once in a while I have to do a soft reset, and occaisionally a double-soft reset. I know some run quick-pull type apps to do a scheduled daily reset, and they swear by it, but I'm skeptical. I never turn mine off, except on airplanes, never do a hard reset unless I have to, and only do soft resets when I have to. I've only had to do a battery pull on my 9700 once, and the only time I have seen the a completely white screen was on my daughter's 9700 imediately after she dropped it.

Quote:
This past weekend, I left my BlackBerry smartphone unattended for about an hour and came back to find it had locked up. The background of the screen had turned white and it was displaying some kind of nondescript error message with some numbers. No matter what I pressed, none of the buttons would respond and I couldn’t get the phone to turn on or off.
That may be what the author calls WSOD, but it is not the completely white screen with no error message that others here on the forum have described and what I referred to. Note the author refers to the nondescript error message with some numbers. Look at the picture posted in the article.

Quote:
The only way to fix the BlackBerry WSOD is to remove the battery for a few seconds, then put it back in. If you’re like me and use a tough BlackBerry case that isn’t very easy to remove, the act of popping the battery is pretty bothersome. I’ve seen a variety of ‘battery pull’ type applications for the BlackBerry and actually tried one of them, but nothing seems to work as well as manually removing the battery. Don’t be alarmed if it takes your phone a while to boot back up after a battery pull. My BlackBerry Curve 8330 takes about three minutes to restart.
No, depending on the error, the device may reboot with the same white screen and same error code. If it does reboot fine, great. If it doesn't, you are looking at a wipe and an OS reload.

Quote:
When I bought my BlackBerry, it wasn’t until after I had signed all the papers and was about to walk out of the store until the clerk at the cellular phone store kindly informed me that I would need to pop my battery out about once a week. I thought she was joking, but apparently this is just something that some BlackBerry users have to do in order to keep their phones working properly. I sure hope Research in Motion gets this problem figured out soon, otherwise I am switching to a different kind of phone as soon as my contract runs out.
Not like a store salesman to be so misinformed or spread falsehoods. I'm shocked.

Quote:
Since the WSOD is often associated with the BlackBerry battery and memory usage, you might also be sure to occasionally let your battery run completely out before you charge it up again. This is good practice for all rechargeable batteries.
Total, 100% pure crap.

Quote:
The most recommended way to prevent your BlackBerry from having the white screen of death is to do like the clerk said and pop the battery out about once a week. It’s a pain, but necessary. If you don’t and your phone crashes like mine did, you could miss an important phone call, email, or text message and not even realize it.
Again, pure BS.

You asked. Don't beleve everything the salesman in the store tells you, don't believe everything you read, and doubt everything experts like this one write. Geeze I hope no one paid him for that.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

See the blackberryfaq.com article on batteries. The lithium ion batteries in mobile phones and mp3 players and such nowadays are not the old nickel cadmium batteries your grandfather or father used and you probably don't remember They aren't even the nickle metal hydride batteries we have now. You do not want to run them down all the way unless you have to. Make it a practice to charge them overnight, or top them off when you can.

The nickle cadmium batteries would develop a memory and shortened service life if not fully discharged before recharging over a number of cycles. The cure was to fully discharge the battery before recharing. Even people who don't know anything seem to thing that's a univeral rechargable battery rule. This is not the case with nickle metal hydride batteries, nor the lithium batteries.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
gambit007
Thumbs Must Hurt

@ aiharkness...thanks for the reply and i did hit the "thanks" button. The battery info was just a great bonus.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
psplova45

Carrier: Orange UK

just to let you know, the screen was a bit cracked, and i replaced the screen and it works now, but i have heard that if you have a white screen without any sign of damage you can put electric tape over the 4 solder points under the screen to fix it sometimes
Closed Thread