Old 12-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
CEV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default BB vs. WM

Please Login to Remove!

I am still having a hard time deciding between teh BB Storm and a WinMo device such as the Omnia on Verizon. We do not have BES at work and I know everyone on this forum will be favoring BB. But if I could get some honest pros and cons from those that have used both, I would greatly appreciate it. I always see people on blogs saying how bad WinMo is but I have not been able to find WHAT is so bad about it. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

The BB is a very secure device compaired to almost any other Cell / Messaging device. If you want windows and dont have any need for high security then stay with the Win unit. The setup for a BB does not need a BES. You can get service with a BIS server and direct your email to it. Before desiding, read some posts here and you will see infor that may help you pick.

Good luck and welcome to the Forums
Old 12-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Heard Windows Mobile 6.1 was rock solid though.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

6.1 is good. Win Mob devices still have bad battery life issues and ActiveSync isn't perfect.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I don't think WM is bad, I use it as I have a Tilt as well as BB Bold. Although my daughter has been using it the past four weeks. I updated it to 6.1, but not the AT&T version.

I use my phone for work primarily with very little off work use. I send/receive a lot of email, take notes, google maps and keep track of PIM (tasks, etc.). I don't use it much for music/multimedia, pictures or games. Although with the Bold, that's starting to change.

So, my experience with the Tilt: WM definitely required more soft resets than my BB but not to the point where it was a real problem. It crashes, so does my Bold. One handed use and the slide out keyboard aren't nearly as good as the BB. The BB has some real nice shortcuts you miss when you don't have them, autotext and the ability to recognize and dial a phone number with a click from virtually anywhere, smart dialing. It is easier to use as a phone/PIM.

The battery isn't any worse than my Bold, neither are good. MS Voice Command (best voice recognition) and most applications are much better than what is available on the BB; although no task manager that matches todoMatrix on WM.

WM is highly customizable from the OS features to the Today screen - I miss the today screen! Email isn't a problem, although not instant. MS Pocket Office is better than what I've seen for the BB, although I really don't see the point on such a small screen. Garmin Mobile XT on WM is nice in that I don't have to worry about cell coverage, although not a real issue for me, just one less thing to worry about when I'm looking for something or lost.

No problem with ActiveSync. I'd say if you had a need to bring Office docs, pdfs, text or just about any other file with you for viewing and editing, you're probably better off with WM. Otherwise, I'd have to say it would be a toss up between the Bold and iPhone if my typing usage was light. GPS is hit and miss with the Tilt, it seems to take forever to lock onto a signal; sometimes would never lock. Bluetooth wasn't as solid with 6.0 although I didn't try it with 6.1, nor was the phone (more dropped calls).

Recently I had been removed from a client's BES (tightened security and booted all contractors). So, as my contract was up I was pretty much free to get whatever phone I wanted. I opted for the Bold. It took a while, and I actually wiped it and boxed it up twice to return, but for my needs, it really is the right device.

Regards-Michael G.

Last edited by mgerbasio; 12-02-2008 at 07:42 AM..
Old 12-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
The BB is a very secure device compaired to almost any other Cell / Messaging device. If you want windows and dont have any need for high security then stay with the Win unit.
I keep hearing people say that, but nobody ever explains it.

HOW is a BB "more secure" than a WM phone? Does the BB support SSL for web browsing and WM doesn't? Does the BB use encryption for transferring email back and forth and WM doesn't?

Why do you say a BB is more secure?

The only thing I've ever read about that is that the BB gives a BES Admin more control over the BB. I.e. if you lose it, a BES Admin can remotely wipe the device. And the BES Admin can setup policies to stop the phone user from doing things. That's good for the Admin, but I don't see how it's good for the user. And if your BB is not on a BES, then you don't have any of that anyway.
Verizon 9550
Old 12-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
CEV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am with Verizon and still debating between BB or WinMo. If I go with BB it will be the Storm, and if WinMo it will be the Samsung Omnia. With my 2 year renewal each device is priced the same at $100. I like the Storm for the Higher Res. Another possibility would be the Touch Diamond due out next month but not sure of the specs or price yet.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
BBHorrigan

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

I troubleshoot a lot of windows mobile devices/blackberry's. Windows mobile devices seem to generally have more things that could go wrong, although I agree 6.1 is very solid. I'd say pre 6.1 its bb hands down, but now, I'd say its all about your needs. BB is much more efficient at handling emails then windows mobile, while windows mobile is better at docs etc:
Old 12-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

I used to use Motorola Qs before I was changed to BB. WM 6.1 was a nice upgrade, but it didn't add any functionality that I hadn't already hacked / added my self to WM 5 or 6.

I love the BB for its seemless email integration, in WM I had to use WirelessSync, Activesync or Intellisync - and each had its own quirks.

Other than that, I prefer WM for its customization potential. Registry and XML edits along with some file additions or replacements and you could really make the UI look and feel the way you wanted. With BB, short of a theme replacement and installing 3rd party apps - is very limited in comparison.

I prefer pocket IE in WM to the BB browser even in PIE user string emulation mode. I prefer Office Mobile to Docs to go.

My Q's and 8330 had / have about the same battery life, both played music / movies just as good, both had copy / paste functionality, cameras and screen size.

I think the only drawback on my Q was the trackwheel - I never could get used to it, always preferring the Dpad; but I love the trackball on my BB. The Q9C had a far superior keyboard also.

If you can spend time playing with both devices in a store, or maybe get one and return it within the 14 or 30 days to try the other - its a tough choice.

If I could build a phone, it'd be a WM 6.1 device with a trackball that was running the BB client software. I tried very hard to get my IT / BES guys to support me at work with my Q9C running it, they just sent me the 8830 instead.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
HOW is a BB "more secure" than a WM phone?
I am not looking to get into a debate with you, I just wanted to add my 2 cents. A BB has yet to be hacked, I don't believe the same can be said for a WM device. That may be one reason some say it is more secure.

Also, a lot of government agencies use BB devices, I would think the security of the data on the device is important to them.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
StuartV

Model: 9550

I'm not trying to debate. I'm asking a legitimate question that I don't have an answer for. "Security" has a lot of objective, quantifiable characteristics. I'm asking which ones are superior on the BB OS as compared to WM.

Otherwise, it's just sounds like the same thing as when people say that Macs have better security because there are less viruses that affect them. In other words, just because nobody has bothered to hack them, doesn't mean they are more secure. And just because government agencies use them, doesn't mean they are more secure, either. I work at a state level law enforcement agency. Security is extremely important here and there are lots of BBs and WM devices in use here. The agency has no policy which recognizes any difference in security between the devices - and if there was one, I'm pretty sure the agency would get rid of the "weaker" devices.
Verizon 9550
Closed Thread