BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
MatthewDavid386
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile
Thumbs down An easy transaction with the 8100, PLEASE!

Please Login to Remove!

Everyone,

First off, i've been following the threads for a while, then I finally joined, and now I finally have something to say. Also, just wanted to thank everyone for putting their 2 cents in on every topic. This really is a great forum.

Ok, on to the subject
Has anyone else run into this problem?

I really hope this doesn't happen with the 8100

Early upon the morning of the release of the 8700g by tmobile, I hurriedly got up like a kid on Christmas Day, and drove down to my neighborhood tmo store (I think I even bypassed brushing my teeth that morning just to get there more quickly).

After entering the store and explaining that I knew my contract was not up but just wanted to pay for a stand alone unit, I was fed the worst, and most time consuming shouldn't couldn't yes-but-we-don't-like-to speech about buying stand alone units.

I hate hate hate this. I don't know about anyone elses' experiences, but many of the tmobile stores in southeastern MA WILL NOT let me come in and leave the store smoothly without ping-ponging me around for one reason or another. I did finally buy the 8700g that morning, but why can't it be as easy as buying a magazine at cvs.

Furthermore, what is up with those horrible computer desks with strange acrylic Tmo objects on them and computers displaying who knows what to the employees. What happened to computer aided registers? Its like tmo rep needs to get on his computer module, find another store somewhere online that sells phones, order one from the internet, update the stock on the computer manually, check his weather/stocks/sports scores/ find his house on google earth, and then, THEN I get what I came in for, maybe.

me: I'll take an 8700g please
rep: well do you...............
me: Umm, not today......
rep: does anyone in your family need a.............
me: everyone in the world has cell phone, my cell phone has a leather case, and my case has its own cell phone. If anyone in my family wants a cell phone, they will come and get a cell phone.
me: I don't need to buy a or bluetooth headset today.

Although only 7 minutes driving time from my house, I always have to allow at least an hour of time at the tmobile store.

I realize this is a retail business, people are working to get a commission, but I just want a phone!!!! and now I am getting off topic, I apologize for my rant but I just need to know,

a) has anyone else run into this
b) will I be able to buy an 8100 without running into a for new contract / old customers/ people who like the color green / have lived in North Dakota for at least 2 days but not more than 3 years/ deal?

Thank you for your time
-Matt
Old 08-31-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
kasperapd
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Wow! I'm thinking of jumping ship from Verizon and moving to T-Mobile when the 8100 is released. I sure hope I don't get this kind of run around from them.

Please try a Search
Old 08-31-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
mansa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
Carrier: Rogers

It's people's job to ask you for all those extra things, because they get paid for the more that they sell. If you wanted to avoid all those extra things you could always just buy it online and remove the person paid to offer you the TV package on your new phone.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:30 AM   #4
kasperapd
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

True... but when you tell them 'no', they should stop trying to push you into buying more.

Please try a Search
Old 08-31-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
JeffAUV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperapd
Wow! I'm thinking of jumping ship from Verizon and moving to T-Mobile when the 8100 is released. I sure hope I don't get this kind of run around from them.

I think it must just be that store. My local T-Mobile store usually gets me in and out very quickly without hassling me too much.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
mobilecontrol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

I don't harass my customers. That's just some douche who doesn't know how to understand what a customer wants. If you want to purchase something from my store, you can have it no questions asked. You're paying for it, so I am going to sell it to you.

T-Mobile:

- 8100 (rockin' the demo!), 8700g, 7100t, 6230
Old 08-31-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I never have a problem at the TMO store around the corner from my business. They don't know me from Adam, but are pretty nice. I had to trade a SIM card one day last week and I was in and out in 10 mins, would have been less, but I waited to let my 8700 re-boot to confirm the new SIM worked.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:23 PM   #8
duce95
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmo

as a rep we need to ask many questions to make sure you are leaving with everything you need to complete the transaction. most importantly we are on COMMISSION. you are focused on getting in and out and we are concerned about how much we can make off this schmuck who smells like he didnt even brush his teeth
Old 08-31-2006, 11:37 PM   #9
MatthewDavid386
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile
Default yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by duce95
as a rep we need to ask many questions to make sure you are leaving with everything you need to complete the transaction. most importantly we are on COMMISSION. you are focused on getting in and out and we are concerned about how much we can make off this schmuck who smells like he didnt even brush his teeth
that is a great point
Old 09-01-2006, 01:57 AM   #10
mobilecontrol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

My point is, be a dick to any customer once and the likleyhood of them coming back to do business with you personally is almost none. Not to mention, you have no idea how much that guy who needs to be in out might bring you 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 20 customers for taking care of them the way they wanted to be taken care of.

Prime example:

A customer came in and was in a hurry and just need a quick explanation on Bluetooth headsets and the differences between the ones we sell. Didn't care about price at all. So I go on to summarize the basics of all and they bought our most expensive one and was extremely pleased. A few days later, they brought 3 contracts in for me . All because I took care of them the way they asked me to. I didn't shit my pants at the time just because I was only selling one accessory and not making much commission off of it. In the long run, I got a hell of alot of commission...

T-Mobile:

- 8100 (rockin' the demo!), 8700g, 7100t, 6230

Last edited by mobilecontrol; 09-01-2006 at 02:00 AM..
Old 09-01-2006, 04:21 AM   #11
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

This is exactly why I use trusted eBay sources or Amazon for new phones. Going into the retail phone stores has become a real chore. The last few times that I've been in the people who are milling about are usually paying bills to turn their service on or asking a few hundred questions about the latest freebie phone..
Old 09-01-2006, 11:21 AM   #12
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I never have an issue.

I go to the store and say, "I'd like to purchase the xxx at retail price."

Store says, "Ok."
Old 09-01-2006, 12:15 PM   #13
tprime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Tmobile

I think it just depends on the store and the rep.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #14
Kopter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon (BES)

"as a rep we need to ask many questions to make sure you are leaving with everything you need to complete the transaction. most importantly we are on COMMISSION".

This line sums it up best..."most importantly we are on COMMISSION".

Seems to me more importance should be placed on a customer... "leaving with everything you need to complete the transaction..." An individualized approach to customer SERVICE will ultimately (either that day or upon the customer's return) will get you more COMMISSION. I am a peddlar... a salesman... a seller... who is commissioned as well... and i 'get it'.. commissioned salepeople need to make a buck like everyone else. True, but repeat business is sooo much more rewarding on a host of different levels. The focus i guess should be on moving any/all customers from one shot to repeat. Thats why its called customer SERVICE and not customer SALES.

Well now... i will step off my soap box. But, before i do... this is precisely why i switched from US Cell, T-Mo and now love Verizon. My verizon salesperson actually calls me every so often to "see how things are going..." and always asks if i need anything. I bought my ext battery, cover, extra battery, charger, 2 other non bb phones, 2 bluetooth headsets in this manner.

Ok... i am going back to decaff and have buried the soap box in my backyard.

Just my 16 cents. sorry.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:24 PM   #15
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I can understand holding back the new units, if they are in short supply, for the full account sales. Supply and demand. But it's just plain stupid not to listen to your customers and forge ahead with the hard sell when the customer specifically asked for a simple thing. Short sighted on the rep's part.

On a related note, a co-worker is a gadget junkie like me. He simply had to have the new Treo 700p when it came out. So he has a Sprint account. He simply had to have the Blackberry 8700 the second it was available so naturally he now has a Cingular account as well. Samsung gave Verizon an exclusive on the i730, which will let him stream live TV from his Slingbox at home onto his phone at work. You guessed it: he added a third account, Verizon. He's paying for 3 different phone plans and is seriously considering going for the sweep when T-Mobile releases the Pearl. Even I'm not that bad!

Last edited by rambo47; 09-01-2006 at 07:19 PM..
Closed Thread