BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 01:49 AM   #1
jbergoon

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Default Verizon GPS works in other apps if VZNav running in background!!!

Please Login to Remove!

I JUST POSTED THIS ON CRACKBERRY ALSO!

I can use any third party gps and get gps coordinates consitently......here's the catch.
Ok I've had my 8330 a little over two months now, I spent about a week trying to get amaze, mobile gmaps, telenav, nav4all..etc. working to no avail. Sooo I broke down and subscribed to VZNav for 9.99 a month.Shortly after I read that you could subscribe to telus nav and the cancel to unlock gps on other CDMA phones, so I thought maybe now that I have VZNav I could do the samething. Tried it and got nothing. I had been using Windows Live maps just to look at local maps etc with no gps. so I was traveling for work and had an active navigation session running in VZNav and wanted to look at a sat view of my location so I went into Local info in VZNav and jotted down the coordinates thinking I would put them into google maps or win live map............heres the KICKKER! I HIT END THAT IS KEY, AND THEN OPENED LIVE SEARCH AND WASN'T SURE WERE TO PUT IN COORDINATES SO I SELECTED NEAR--THEN NEW LOCATION--THEN GPS LOCATION. SAVED IT SAID WILL NOW CONFIGURE GPS FOR YOUR DEVICE ETC. SELECTED MAP AND BAM THERES MY GPS LOCATION.....
CLOSED LIVE MAPS TRIED MOBILE GMAPS....SAT TRACKING!!! GPSED TRACKING OK...NO ******** WAY~ SO THEN I REMEMBER VZNAV IS RUNNING...SO I CLOSE IT AND IMMEDIATLEY LOSE MY GPS FIX FOR ANYTHING ELSE....OPENED VZNAV AGAIN AND COULDNT GET A FIX IN ANY OTHER SOFTWARE UNTILL I OPENED A FOLLOW ME MAP OR SOMETHING THAT CONSTANTLY POLLS THE GPS..sorry for the all caps.

What's this mean? It's not the most convinent as you have to open vznav then open other programs, uses alot of mem and alot of battery, but it does show that it is a software issue, and here is the 2nd kicker.

I start thinking, and I'm getting pissed cause clearly gps is funcitional and will work on the phone, but I have to pay for it and have vznav....bs....i would really even pay for them to just give me a low memory program to constantly poll without all the UI to be able to access gps, so I call vzw tech and he tells me this!! " If you can get a gps fix in 3rd party software at any time (ie. with vznavigator running) but cannot get a fix when it isnt running then I need to call the vendor of that software because it is a coding issue on there part." So basically they know it's a coding issue, because they caused it, and that the vendor of the software just can't figure out how to activate the gps on the phone!!! I couldn't beleive he said it.....so I am not knowledged enough to figure out how to get the gps working, but it will work...I use it all the time now....every gps software I download works!!!!!!! only if I have an active session running in vznav! try it guys. let me know if I'm just a fluke!!

Oh yeah, it worked when I was running 4.3, and now I'm running 4.5.0.51 and its still working !! Lets see if we can beat this crap!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:53 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

It's well known that if you subscribe to VZNavigator you can use other 3rd party GPS apps but only when VZNav is running. You have to pay for VZNav...that's the kicker.

I'm glad you're excited but this isn't news.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
jbergoon

OK, this may be a dumb question but...wouldn't it be fairly easy, (easy is probably not the best word) maybe this, it should be doable (sp?) to write some kind of simple app to initiate a gps session instead of having to actually run vznav...i would even pay the darn thing if I could just have my freaking phone running with gps....

don't flame me....I'm not an expert, I just have a little bit of software programing experience and this type of discovery is what usually would lead to conquering this type of problem....maybe bberry os is way out of my realm of understanding...........if so ready to learn I am
Old 07-28-2008, 02:02 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

It's just not possible. The only app that can access GPS is VZNav. Once VZNav is accessing it then other apps can but without VZNav you have nothing. This has been tried and tried.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:16 AM   #5
jbergoon

DUDE, I respect all who have tried, and it may be very difficult, and maybe not fiesable and I am not implying that I can do it, but NOTHING is impossible. The fact that VZ Nav can activate the gps shows that it IS possible on a software level.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:51 AM   #6
jbergoon

Ok that would make since......sorry for all the questions but....when you change the OS does it not change the firmware? also if you unlocked the phone would it still not work.....what do you think the verizon tech was talking about when he said that the 3rd party vendor had a software problem and they should be able to access the gps? wouldn't be the 1st time a tech didnt know what he was talking about.....you think this was the case??
Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergoon View Post
when you change the OS does it not change the firmware?
Nope. This approach has been discussed to death (see threads discussing this approach on the 8703e).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergoon View Post
also if you unlocked the phone would it still not work.....
The 8330 is CDMA. Unlocking isn't germane.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Thread title changed.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #9
MICP1480
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A

Ok, so let me see if I got this. The ONLY program to allow the factory installed GPS on my Verizon 8330 is the Verizon Navigator. Now, If I want I can purchase a GPS receiver and then bluetooth it to my 8330, and then all I would need is to get a hold of some mapping software. Finally, if I got to pay subscription for this mapping service, then we are back to square one, where Verizon charges a monthly fee as well. I am wondering if I made a mistake aborting my Treo with windows base OS. What a mistake i made.

MICP1480
Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #10
dgburns

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICP1480 View Post
Ok, so let me see if I got this. The ONLY program to allow the factory installed GPS on my Verizon 8330 is the Verizon Navigator. Now, If I want I can purchase a GPS receiver and then bluetooth it to my 8330, and then all I would need is to get a hold of some mapping software. Finally, if I got to pay subscription for this mapping service, then we are back to square one, where Verizon charges a monthly fee as well. I am wondering if I made a mistake aborting my Treo with windows base OS. What a mistake i made.

MICP1480
What people are saying is you can do one of three things:
1) Pay $10/month to Verizon and use VZNavigator
2) Pay $10/month to Verizon and us some other GPS programs (Blackberry Maps, Google Maps, you name it). Most of these are FREE to obtain and FREE to use (other than if you have a data restricted plan).
3) Pay something like $50-$100 (depending on model and source) for a Bluetooth GPS receiver and use it with whatever GPS software you desire (and don't pay Verizon $10/month).

Choice is yours. If the convenience of 1 device is more important to you than the cost, you might want to go one of the pay Verizon routes. If cost is more important, get a puck. If you want to "stand on principle" and not do either, write letters of complaint to Verizon executives and the Better Business Bureau, and be prepared to just wait it out. There are unsubstantiated RUMORS that by the end of this calendar year the situation should clear up (there will be 3rd party apps that can use GPS without paying for VZNavigator), but nobody at Verizon will put that in writing, let alone commit to anything being approved.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #11
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Finally, if I got to pay subscription for this mapping service, then we are back to square one, where Verizon charges a monthly fee as well.
Unless you're trying to avoid paying VZW out of principle.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #12
MICP1480
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

what is a "PUCK", I have seen at the end of a hockey stick, but that is all I know.

Ok, lets get down to reality. Verizon like Microsoft, I feel is capitalizing on software that can only be used with their systems, where this is wrong, when we are paying our hard earned money, which is not pennies, and we should have the freedom of choices.

I just want a navigation system I can use on my phone, for a one time deal. How hard is this? Just my two cents with these major companies having us by the B***S.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
what is a "PUCK"
In the context of this thread, it's a 'Bluetooth GPS Receiver' which you'd pair with your BlackBerry device.
Closed Thread