Old 04-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
pallavik
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default Opera Mini not working on 8820

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone having trouble with my newly acquired 8820 - Ebay, unlocked handset originally locked to Orange UK - and Opera Mini: I haven't got a BBdata plan, - hence I only get lower case gprs or edge - only my generic data plan that came associated with my mobile contract with Vodafone UK which worked perfectly on my previous handsets, Ericcsson P900 and more recently Nokia N73. I have downloaded Opera Mini over my wi-fi connection at home but can't get it to work: if I click its icon it will show a screen saying "Opera Mini" and below "installing" with a progress bar and after a few seconds a pop up saying "The application Opera Mini has requested a socket connection to server4.operamini.com.

Don't ask this again for:" then two boxes to tick with the following captions "All socket connections" and "socket connections to server4.operamini.com"

At the bottom the two buttons: "Allow this connection" or "Deny this connection"

I would then click "Allow" leaving both boxes unticked and this would take me back to the screen saying "installing" with the progress bar slowly crawling forward. After a couple of minutes the arrows indicating communication with the network start flickering faster and the progress bar also starts to move faster seemingly indicating something is happening but in the end I get "Failed to connect to the internet. Go to http://www.operamini.com/help?version=4.0 with your desktop browser or contact your service provider for internet settings"

I have spoken to Vodafone who confirmed my APN settings are correct so I have been stuck here with this issue for a while.

Any suggestion/extra info gladly accepted. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Of the two boxes, tick the first box, to allow all http connections. Based on what you wrote, you did not do that part correctly. Then you should allow the connection.

LET'S GO CANES!

Last edited by akosnitzky; 04-16-2008 at 10:10 AM..
Old 04-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
pallavik

No go Akosnitzky, the one difference I seem to notice is that the arrows showing - supposedly - data exchange stay on for longer and the progress bar moves slightly more quickly but the end result doesn't change and I still get the error message in the end.

One thing I forgot to mention is the phone might have some king of IT policy intalled on it, a legacy of whatever use it had with its previous owners but I am a bit concerned about how to go about removing it. I seem to recall reading something about having to wipe the phone but I don't know how to reinstall everything afterwards. Maybe I should look into it a bit more...
Old 04-19-2008, 04:18 AM   #4
adhikariindia

Model: 7230
Carrier: hutch india

i have similar problem.. i have bb7230.. when i was installing opera mini first it asked for (as you said above) . i allowed all socket connection .. and then it said """opera mini is trying to invade the wall of ""firewall""".for connceting to internet ,, which is not allowed by your it-policy.. my knowledge is in my phoen it policy is default.. that means not much it-policy .. so waht should i do now??
sam
Old 04-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallavik
No go Akosnitzky, the one difference I seem to notice is that the arrows showing - supposedly - data exchange stay on for longer and the progress bar moves slightly more quickly but the end result doesn't change and I still get the error message in the end.

One thing I forgot to mention is the phone might have some king of IT policy intalled on it, a legacy of whatever use it had with its previous owners but I am a bit concerned about how to go about removing it. I seem to recall reading something about having to wipe the phone but I don't know how to reinstall everything afterwards. Maybe I should look into it a bit more...
Did you see this link below? It may or may not relate to your situation

http://www.blackberryforums.com/wiki...move_IT_Policy

I am also curious if you ever successfully installed a server based program on that device before.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
pallavik

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post

Did you see this link below? It may or may not relate to your situation

Remove IT Policy - BlackBerryFAQ

I am also curious if you ever successfully installed a server based program on that device before.
Yes I had seen it but thanks anyway, I'm just about to post a hefty message on my latest findings....
Closed Thread