Old 04-16-2010, 06:23 AM   #1
ChrisGTL

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Default Switching between WAP & WIFI?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

Now I have got my 8900 working on the net at last i'm struggling to figure out how to setup the connection so my phone uses wifi when i'm at home and carrier system when i'm out and about.

Do I have to keep going into browser configuration/general properties everytime I want to switch between wifi and carrier? On my old phone you could just setup a list of available networks (wifi, wap, gprs etc) and give each one a priority.

So I had mine setup as follows:-

Priority 1 wifi
Priority 2 GPRS
Priority 3 GPS

If priority 1 wasnt availble it would try priority 2 and so on......

Can't find anything to do with this on the blackberry 8900 though :(
Old 04-16-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

When you open options > mobile network, what do you see? Do you see a setting for connection preference?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

I often wondered about this. I don't seem to have the "connection preference" on my 9000. Is this a device, OS, or carrier thing?

Not trying to hijack this thread, just thought it might lend credence to the OP's question.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

OS I believe. I'm on the road and don't have my old devices to refresh my memory. But I know 4.X on my 8820 was different. I want to find out what the OP sees in options, and then figure it out from there.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Connection preference is only available on BB's with UMA.
So its a combination of model and carrier. i.e. the 8900 on T-mobile US has it, but not 8900 on T-mobile UK.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 04-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

Ahhh. Ok. I think I was told that before and had forgotten.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

Back to the OP: If you have mobile network and wifi enabled in manage connections, won't the blackberry automatically use wifi when wifi is detected and it is a saved wifi network? I don't follow the description of what you are changing in browser options. The internet browser will function on wifi. You don't need to switch to the hotspot browser except for one or two possible reasons that I know of (downloading large files would be one)
Old 04-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
ChrisGTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted

When you open options > mobile network, what do you see? Do you see a setting for connection preference?
Hi thanks for the help.

When I goto options>mobile network I see;

Data Services - ON
While Roaming - ON

Mobile Network - o2
Network Selection Mode - Automatic

That is it...???
Old 04-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

Draven cleared up some confusion on my part. See my previous post above.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
ChrisGTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted

Back to the OP: If you have mobile network and wifi enabled in manage connections, won't the blackberry automatically use wifi when wifi is detected and it is a saved wifi network? I don't follow the description of what you are changing in browser options. The internet browser will function on wifi. You don't need to switch to the hotspot browser except for one or two possible reasons that I know of (downloading large files would be one)
OK i'll try this when I get home from work.

What should the browser configuration be; Hotspot Browser, o2 Active, Internet Browser or Gameloft?

What should General properties be; Hotspot Browser, o2 Active, Internet Browser or Gameloft?

I've messed with these settings so much trying to get it to work automatically between wifi and mobile i've forgotton which settings the above two were on...

Cheers
Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

In options > advanced options > browser, set the default browser to internet browser. Whichever is the O2 wap browser, set that as the default wap browser.

There may be other ways to do this, but say you have some podcast feeds where the files are too large to play or download with the internet browser. Bookmark those and select hotspot browser when you save the bookmark. When you open and you have wifi service, the page will open in the hotspot browser. At least that's how it works in my case. Give that a try for sites where you need to force the wifi hotspot browser. Report if your find a better way.

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-16-2010 at 09:50 AM..
Old 04-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
micutu
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 25894c18
Carrier: Orange

8900 should have an option to switch between browsers automatically when WI-FI is available... I still don't get it why are there 2 different browsers, instead of making one with different profiles for wi-fi and wap... I loved my 8900 every since I switched from 8100, I think this is the only inconvenience I have so far from it... I hope RIM would do something about it. I'm tired to go to options/advanced/browser and navigate from Orange Wap to Hotspot every time I'm checking email and other stuff... Hopefully, the new browser will improve this feature too.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
ramazz

Carrier: Rogers
Default yes and no

The problem with auto switching wap to wifi is that if the wifi you connect to is your corporate network, they tend to use web filtering and may basically block you from browsing anything from just a couple of sites to in some cases everything but corporate web pages. Not an issue everywhere, and not an issue for home users normally but I do agree it would be nice to be able to turn auto switching on or off if this was a problem instead of forcing us to do it manually.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #14
micutu

PIN: 25894c18
Carrier: Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazz View Post
The problem with auto switching wap to wifi is that if the wifi you connect to is your corporate network, they tend to use web filtering and may basically block you from browsing anything from just a couple of sites to in some cases everything but corporate web pages. Not an issue everywhere, and not an issue for home users normally but I do agree it would be nice to be able to turn auto switching on or off if this was a problem instead of forcing us to do it manually.
I'm not tied to any corporation, I don't have a blackberry data plan so, there would be no reason for me to be limited to any specific sites when browsing. It's just something you have to get used to in order to browse something when you're on wi-fi and change that option when you browse on wap. (it doesn't even show me the WI-FI icon on top of the screen when I start the browser in wap mode) I just get annoyed when I want to show something on my BB to a friend, I connect to the wi-fi and when I start the browser it loads me the homepage of the wap. Close browser, go to options and so on... It's really annoying.

Last edited by micutu; 04-27-2010 at 04:05 PM..
Old 04-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #15
neutral07

Carrier: T-Mobile

I have the same problem as the thread starter. Tmobile uk 8900 curve on web n walk rather than blackberry plan. Also i am disable from using thre browser. Help
Old 04-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #16
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

neutral07, you need the Blackberry Booster from t-mobile to use the browser.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Closed Thread