Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 09:17 PM   #1
aawong
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: rogers
Default Help media card does not work

Please Login to Remove!

i put the media card in and format, and all is fine i can see the card fine. But once i put some files on the card thought the usb cable than the card cannot be read. Ok so i reformat the card and all is fine. so i decide to take the card out and add files on with the sd adaptor mp3's in the music folded than i put the card in and again can't see the card. I have all the options on card support, mass storage? help.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
ejmccartin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

are you still hooked up the usb cable? have to unplug to see it from the phone
Old 11-04-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
aawong
Thumbs Must Hurt

yes i have unplugged. i even loaded files on the card itself with the sd adaptor no connection via usb. could some cards not be compatible i have a kingston card.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
aawong
Thumbs Must Hurt

it says media card can't be read verify card is formatted?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:49 PM   #5
ejmccartin

I'm afraid I've reached the end of my usefulness here. beyond checking that the card is installed correctly and I'm sure you've done that, having taken it out and reinstalled it how many times there shouldn't be any brand specific error. is it over 1GB? or have you upgraded to get to use the larger card? if you format, can you take a pic and save it to the card? then look at it?
yup, I'm tapped, sorry.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:51 PM   #6
aawong
Thumbs Must Hurt

thanks it is one gig can't figure it out.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:12 PM   #7
aawong
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok Once i format all is ok and i can store pictures taken from the phone on the card no problem. But once i try to save anything from outside the phone on the card via usb or on the card itself via sd converter than the card can't be read?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:17 PM   #8
ejmccartin

you must be saving something interesting. is it something the pearl will recognize? fwiw, can't use apps on the card.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:19 PM   #9
aawong
Thumbs Must Hurt

as a test i formated the card and saved a small jpg only and the same thing card can't be read?
Old 11-05-2006, 12:29 PM   #10
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawong
i put the media card in and format, and all is fine i can see the card fine. But once i put some files on the card thought the usb cable than the card cannot be read. Ok so i reformat the card and all is fine. so i decide to take the card out and add files on with the sd adaptor mp3's in the music folded than i put the card in and again can't see the card. I have all the options on card support, mass storage? help.
I would start all over again and see if the problem is you or the card.

One thing is to know that you CANNOT see any files that have been transferred on to the Pearl until you 1) disconnect your USB cable; and 2) back out of card's folder view on the Pearl and go to your Pearl's desktop. After that, you can re-enter the Pearl's media folders and the transferred files will appear on the list. By backing out to the desktop, this refreshes the microSD cards file list.

Now to start over:

As a first step, before going through the below procedures, set up the Pearl to use the chip. Triple check the settings even if you swear they are all correct. Don't assume you are right and not check the settings.

To set the Pearl up to use the MicroSD card:

<settings>

<advanced options>

<Media Card>

Turn <Media Card Support> to 'on'

Turn <Mass Storage Mode Support> to "on"

Set <Auto Enable Mass Storage...> to "yes"

click <escape> key [key to right of trackball] to get to <save> option

Scroll to 'yes' and click trackball to save the settings.

Now to other steps:

1. First test the microSD card to make sure it is working. Do NOT install it on the Pearl. Place it in a PC card reader. Does XP recognize the chip and open File Explorer?

If it does, while in there, might as well format the chip to make sure nothing is gumming up the works. Do NOT format the card on the Pearl.

Go to your PC's "My Computer," highlight or select the chip, while highlighted right click, select "format" and make sure to do a full format, NOT the "quick format."

3. Now install the chip into the Pearl.

4. Put battery in. Pearl will "boot up."

5. While booting up, the Pearl will create default folders on the microSD card. Check to see if the Pearl did in fact do this.

Click <media> icon

Select and click one of the media icon types, e.g., <video>

<media card> should be a listed item. Click that.

Folder should be empty since you are just seeing if it works.

6. If all is well, back out to your Pearl desktop.

7. Now connect the USB cable, PC to the Pearl. Do NOT open DeskTop Manager at any time.

Does the PC recognize the card and open up File Explorer? If so, now minimize that folder.

8. Open up another instance of File Explorer. Go to an MP3 file [hard for MP3 file to be screwed up]. Highlight the MP3 file, right click and select <copy>.

9. Now maximize the microSD's folder and open the "music" folder. Press paste and confirm the MP3 file is being copied on to the Pearl, into the chip's music folder.

10. Disconnect the USB cable AFTER transfer is complete.

11. Back out of the Pearl on to its "desktop."

12. Click <media> player icon, go to <music>, then <media card>.

The file should be there.

If it is not, dunno what it could be.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:36 PM   #11
SanFrancisco

Quote:
as a test i formated the card and saved a small jpg only and the same thing card can't be read?
Are you using a PC card reader or the Pearl?

If using a PC card reader, make sure the MicroSD chip is fully seated into the SD adapter. It is easy for the chip to look fully seated when it is not.

Physically remove the chip from the adapter, then reinsert. Firmly, but not aggressively, make sure the card is fully seated into the adapter.

Also, see my post on formatting the chip. You should NOT be doing that on the Pearl.

You also should not be transferring files to the chip while the card is on the Pearl. Before working with it on the Pearl, you need to see if the card is OK. See my post on formatting the card with your PC, NOT the Pearl.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-05-2006 at 12:47 PM..
Old 11-05-2006, 09:13 PM   #12
ejmccartin

aawong - did you get it working? it usually pays to follow SF's instructions.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:34 AM   #13
aawong
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks Guys, I reinstalled the blackberry software on my computer and tried it again and works now. Not sure what was the reason was but it is working now after a fresh install of blackberry desktop software. I can drop file directly on the card from the drive icon on my computer just like a usb drive with no problems.

Thanks Again!!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #14
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Thanks Guys, I reinstalled the blackberry software on my computer and tried it again and works now. Not sure what was the reason was but it is working now after a fresh install of blackberry desktop software. I can drop file directly on the card from the drive icon on my computer just like a usb drive with no problems.

Thanks Again!!
That's good news. Always try to follow up when asking for help, so people know what happened.

As to what happened, we will never know. Remember that the Pearl OS is just like any other computer OS or program. Sometimes an errant piece of code gums things up, thereafter requiring a battery reset.

Other times, more drastic measures are necessary, such as a reinstall of the OS.

Which brings to mind, always do backups of the device. It takes about two minutes, start to finish so there is no excuse for not doing backups, perhaps daily.
Closed Thread