Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon
Default Sprint activation headaches!

Please Login to Remove!

I have had a Curve 8330m on Sprint for a while now and love the device, love the service. Naturally, being the complete addict for new BlackBerrys, I ran right out and got a Tour. Sprint was great about shipping, and it arrived the very next morning after ordering. Beautiful device, fabulous keypad like the Bold, and a gorgeous screen. Then came activation.

After multiple unsuccessful attempts to get it going, including waiting several hours for the network to "catch up" (rep's words, not mine), battery pulls out the wazoo, and many tries at registering and provisioning, I bit the bullet and called tech support at Sprint.

The Tour is the first BlackBerry that supports OTA programming, and apparently it's causing problems for more folks than just me. The bottom line is that there is a glitch within the network, not within my Tour, and my account cannot be provisioned properly.

Bottom line: New BlackBerry Tour, no data services for up to 36 BUSINESS hours! That's nearly a full friggin' work week! I cannot re-activate the old Curve that worked so well and I get no email for a week or so. Not happy.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
michael12005
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Tour
PIN: N/A

You should at least make sure Sprint gives you numerous credits for no service. It is outrageous. I would go with Verizon where everything is working fine.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

The thought has crossed my mind! I have rebates pending though with Sprint, plus my monthly bill for unlimited BIS plus voice is only about $60. I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
sbbytor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Default Issues Cont'd

I love the phone but:

1) Anyone else have the battery door problem not sitting correctly? Mine is loose.
2) seems sluggish but I think if I uninstall a bunch o crap this should help.
3) Why does some of my email come in huge font?

Battery seems fine to me.

In the end I love it.

I returned that piece of garbage "Storm" waiting for this and it was worth it, I just wish Verizon updated the OS more then once every 2 years.

Oh well that's what we have crackberry for

sb rating
Old 07-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
lostman72

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
The thought has crossed my mind! I have rebates pending though with Sprint, plus my monthly bill for unlimited BIS plus voice is only about $60. I guess you get what you pay for.
Well what I hear, things at Sprint are going to get a lot worse. They are getting rid of all there techs and going to contractors. So what you are going thru does not surprise me. I have never seen a company shot them self’s in the foot twice. Well I wish you luck and I would not put up with that.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
angieth08
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

@rambo47
This is awful! A friend of mine was told something similar this morning but called back to Sprint Tech Support repeatedly until he finally received someone who was very knowledgeable about this issue with the Tour. End result, he was activated and is now receiving all e-mails and data services, although it did take more than 3 hours after the last call. I tried reaching him after reading your post, but he's on duty and his phone is powered-off. I'll PM you later if he can provide me with a name or what they did to make this thing a success.
I'll be getting my Tour in the morning and I don't need this headache...

@lostman72
Sprint is not geting rid of their techs, rather, they are being absorbed by Ericcson, a proven world-class company that will be managing their networks for at least the next 7 years. (see below)

News Release from 7-09-2009:

*The transaction calls for about 6,000 Sprint employees to begin performing their network functions as Ericsson employees sometime in the 3rd quarter.

Key elements of Network Advantage are:

*Sprint retains full ownership and control of its network assets, and solely owns network strategy and investment decisions.

*Customers will continue to work directly with Sprint employees as their primary contact, as Sprint retains full control of the customer experience, customer technical support and services review.

*Sprint retains technology and vendor selections.

*Ericsson assumes responsibility for the day-to-day services, provisioning and maintenance for the Sprint-owned CDMA, iDEN and wireline networks.

*Ericsson will optimize Sprint’s multi-vendor inventory of assets such as spa
re parts and transmission equipment, and provide processes and tools for managing the national network platforms and operational support systems.

*The transferred employees will become part of Ericsson Services Inc., a wholly-owned Ericsson subsidiary based in Overland Park, KS, a move that retains jobs in the United States. No force reductions are currently contemplated as a result of this agreement.
The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. ~ James 5:16
Old 07-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Thanks, Angieth08! I appreciate any help or light that can be shed on the subject. The tech I had on the phone seemed knowledgeable and tried everything he could think of before realizing it was one of these phantom network anomalies with my individual account. But if there's something that can be done to get my provisioning sorted in less then 36 business hours I'd be forever grateful!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
Chrscott22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
But if there's something that can be done to get my provisioning sorted in less then 36 business hours I'd be forever grateful!
I'm pretty sure you'll be up and running before then. I've read about numerous people having the same issue you're having and after awhile all their service books just pushed through. Pretty sure it's an issue with the thousand of people switching their service to a new phone today.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrscott22 View Post
I'm pretty sure you'll be up and running before then. I've read about numerous people having the same issue you're having and after awhile all their service books just pushed through. Pretty sure it's an issue with the thousand of people switching their service to a new phone today.
From your lips to God's ears! 36 business hours seemed excessive, but the amount of apologies I received in one single tech support phone call made me think the worst. Fingers (and toes) crossed!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
vinniemac3
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: sprint

rambo i'm having the same problems with the sprint version. i'm on the phone now and its been about an hour (this time). i was on the phone for an hour last night to no avail. hopin this gets fixed soon.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
vinniemac3

rambo, i just got off the phone and had it fixed. if yours still isnt working let me know
Old 07-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #12
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

I just got mine sorted too! Life is wonderful again!!

Another call to tech support at 1-877-654-9111 got me yet another rep, but this guy listened to what I'd already tried and took me straight to wiping/restoring the Tour to factory fresh settings. After that, the programming that didn't take before went through without a hitch.

Luckily I didn't transfer all my stuff over yet, so I'm not repeating myself by doing it a second time. Less hassle to wait until the BB is set up properly. It's best to call tech support at Sprint and have them walk you through these steps. When you reprogram the device they will give you a local number for one of the 2 fields you need to change.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
vinniemac3

yeah thats the same thing this other tech did for me. changed the 2 numbers and wiped my phone. had to load my phone book and stuff again but at least the phone works now lol
Old 07-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Glad you're up and running, Rambo! Don't forget to update your BBF profile to show you're sportin' a shiny new device

I hope to get mine next week.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #15
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many

Hmmmm....VZ's parent company has been outsourcing network maintainence since day one - all European carriers do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostman72 View Post
Well what I hear, things at Sprint are going to get a lot worse. They are getting rid of all there techs and going to contractors. So what you are going thru does not surprise me. I have never seen a company shot them self’s in the foot twice. Well I wish you luck and I would not put up with that.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:27 AM   #16
lostman72

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm View Post
Hmmmm....VZ's parent company has been outsourcing network maintainence since day one - all European carriers do.
Ericsson knows GSM.. They don't know I-den or CDMA. Talking to the techs I know from Sprint this is not a good deal for them at all. After the first year they may all be let go and Ericsson will bring other people in. I am going by what the network operation tech are telling me.

Well I don't want to get of topic to much here. I am glad that you are up and going now, Rambo
Old 07-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #17
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
PIN: Go Steelers!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostman72 View Post
Well what I hear, things at Sprint are going to get a lot worse. They are getting rid of all there techs and going to contractors. So what you are going thru does not surprise me. I have never seen a company shot them selfxxx8217;s in the foot twice. Well I wish you luck and I would not put up with that.
Hahah That is funny to hear. As a previous Verizon customer of 9 years!! When I called in to try to resolve an overage with my 14 year old daughters phone text messages I was treated the worst that I have ever been treated by any business I give money to! I have 4 lines that I use and soon to be 5 and I was told by the SUPERVISOR "I don't care how long you have been a customer, I am doing you a favor for even listening to this complaint" How do you like that!

So if you sit there and say about Sprints service maybe you the old saying "those who live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones" because what I read was most recently was that Sprint just signed a contract with Ericcson (sp) to manage their network and to enhance it and they were going to focus more on customer service and customer retention.

I can honestly say that I am not sure if it was the best move (only been on Sprint for 8 days) asn the coverage does not come anywhere near vzw, but the cost difference is so great, close to 200 bucks a month, I am really trying to find a way to make this work.

I just wanted to point out that Verizon is getting so big that they really don't seem to care about their customers, yeah they will give you lip service all you want but when it comes down to giving you what they promise they often balk. They still lock out the gps, which Sprint does not (soo many cool apps), I get the NFL Live, and many other things.

I was looking to get a tour when I go to the store today, I wanted to hear what was going on with it. I hope you guys like it. Is it worth the cost to me? I got the Curve for free, so I am sure it will cost me to get the Tour...

Any new device is always met with challanges. when the storm came out how many people freaked out at vzw and the crappy service. That is my point.

Last edited by mastdog; 07-17-2009 at 11:10 AM..
Old 07-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #18
lostman72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastdog View Post
Hahah That is funny to hear. As a previous Verizon customer of 9 years!! When I called in to try to resolve an overage with my 14 year old daughters phone text messages I was treated the worst that I have ever been treated by any business I give money to! I have 4 lines that I use and soon to be 5 and I was told by the SUPERVISOR "I don't care how long you have been a customer, I am doing you a favor for even listening to this complaint" How do you like that!

So if you sit there and say about Sprints service maybe you the old saying "those who live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones" because what I read was most recently was that Sprint just signed a contract with Ericcson (sp) to manage their network and to enhance it and they were going to focus more on customer service and customer retention.

I can honestly say that I am not sure if it was the best move (only been on Sprint for 8 days) asn the coverage does not come anywhere near vzw, but the cost difference is so great, close to 200 bucks a month, I am really trying to find a way to make this work.

I just wanted to point out that Verizon is getting so big that they really don't seem to care about their customers, yeah they will give you lip service all you want but when it comes down to giving you what they promise they often balk. They still lock out the gps, which Sprint does not (soo many cool apps), I get the NFL Live, and many other things.

I was looking to get a tour when I go to the store today, I wanted to hear what was going on with it. I hope you guys like it. Is it worth the cost to me? I got the Curve for free, so I am sure it will cost me to get the Tour...

Any new device is always met with challanges. when the storm came out how many people freaked out at vzw and the crappy service. That is my point.
That sucks that you had to put up with a cranky manager. Trust me I have been there myself, Nothing is worse than talking to brain dead person. Sprint from what I have read from consumer reports tops them all when it comes to not caring for their customers. Verizon and Att must be doing something right they keep adding customer and Sprint keeps losing customers. You and I both know that we both have our likes and dislike about companies. I don’t even know any one that is on Sprint. I know when I drive by a Sprint store around where I live they are empty. You walk into a Verizon store they tell you take a number or they take your name. So if you are happy with Sprint, that’s cool, I hope they always take care of you, heck you are paying them. I think we both would agree we deserve service since we paid for it.

Take care
Old 07-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #19
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Oh boy am I second guessing now! After hearing what Rambo just went through, I am second guessing my idea of returning my TOUR with VZW, and going to Sprint. My buddy is paying way less then me for his Sprint service running a BB, and is saying his Tour is 100% the best thing since sliced bread...lol! My VZW Tour is just full of voice quality issues, and I'm on my second one right now, and I just dont feel like going through another exchange, etc! Plus I'm paying over $100 a month!!! hmmm, what to do?
Old 07-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #20
lostman72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Oh boy am I second guessing now! After hearing what Rambo just went through, I am second guessing my idea of returning my TOUR with VZW, and going to Sprint. My buddy is paying way less then me for his Sprint service running a BB, and is saying his Tour is 100% the best thing since sliced bread...lol! My VZW Tour is just full of voice quality issues, and I'm on my second one right now, and I just dont feel like going through another exchange, etc! Plus I'm paying over $100 a month!!! hmmm, what to do?
Except for software the phones should be the same. The one I have has no trouble. Well if you want to try sprint than go for it
Closed Thread