Old 09-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
BoBrown
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9360
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default Trying to Access Internet Using Storm

Please Login to Remove!

I have had a storm 9500 in UK for about 3 months. I bought it and used a PAYT sim. I am fed up with being ripped off by a service provider so have gone to a competitive provider who will simply charge me a rate for browsing.
I have all the information I need to set it up, but despite searching the web for hours, I cannot find someone, in simple terms to say, this is how you set it up. Can someone please, please, help. I am beginning to despair.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Wirelessly posted

Ok quick question are you trying to surf the web on your computer using the internet connection from your storm or surf the web in your storm
Old 09-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

If you want to use a BlackBerry you really need a legit BlackBerry data plan. Especially if you want to use any of the data services like email, BB Messenger, or web browsing with the native browser.

The only pay-as-you-go data plan I know if is by Orange UK. You can use a third-party browser like Opera Mini to browse the net without a BlackBerry data plan, but you won't be able to download anything. Honestly, if you want to skip the BlackBerry data plan there are better choices for a mobile out there.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
BoBrown

I only want to surf the web from my BB Storm looking at new/sports headlines etc. My service provider has given me all the settings I need but I have no idea where to amend/update.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

You'll need to download Opera Mini through your pc and use the Desktop Manager software to install it on your BlackBerry.

Then go to Options > Advanced Options > TCP/IP and ensure you have the proper settings for APN, Username, and Password. It may be proper for some of these to be left blank.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:31 AM   #6
BoBrown

Default Will Try

Thanks for your advice. Will try later today (29th)
Old 09-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
BoBrown

With reference to Opera Mini, can someone please advise. The BB Storm 9500 is not listed as a supported phone in the 4.2 list, but the Beta 5 version shows the 9500 as an example. Can someone please confirm that I need to use the Beta 5 version?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Opera mini worsk on any blackberry i believe, they just havent updated their list of supported devices.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
BoBrown

Angry

Hi all those who are trying to help. I downloaded Opera Mini beta 5 via my pc and BB desktop manager. The O icon is there and on selection, it worked through the installing process then came up with the NO WORKING NETWORK CONNECTION DETECTED. Following advice I have gone to Options > Advanced Options > TCP/IP where I should ensure that I have the proper settings for APN, Username, and Password.

The only entries I have in there are:
APN Settings Enabled with the box checked
APN Authentication Enabled again with the box checked
User name for APN: wap
Password for APN: wap

I cannot see anywhere to put:
Homepage: APN Name: APN Address: GatewayIP Address: Session Type: Authentication: Security: and Port Number: in addition to the above User Name for APN and Password for APN.

Sorry to 'run on' but is there anyone out there who can help. I just get this horrible feeling that I have bought something that I can only use 20% of, although I do love that 20%.

Last edited by BoBrown; 10-01-2009 at 04:42 PM..
Old 10-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

For Vodafone UK, try these:

Gateway IP: 212.183.137.12
Port: 9201

APN: wap.vodafone.uk
username: [email address]
password: user

You might only be able to use those last three, in bold, in the TCP/IP settings. Perhaps Opera has a place for the Gateway IP and Port. It *should* work with just those last three though.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
BoBrown

I'm sorry, you have been misled (and I probable caused most of it) by the carrier on my profile. It was Vodafone and the carrier I am now with is ASDA (part of USA's Wal*Mart) who just by coincidence 'piggy back' onto the Vodafone network but charge at least 30% plus less. Their settings are:

Homepage:
APN Name: ASDA mobile
APN Address: asdamobiles.co.uk
Gateway IP address: 212.183.137.12
Username: wap
Password: wap
Session Type: GPRS
Authentication: Normal
Security: Off
Port Number: 8799 WAP2.0, 9201 WAP1.x

My main problem (apart from not knowing what I am doing!!) is where to put those settings as BB have not given ASDA the same information that they receive for Nokia etc., (or so they say). Thanks in advance. I think you are my last hope.
(I cannot put the home page in as it thinks it is a link and I don't have sufficient posts to be able to do that (but it is asda-mobile.com/wap)

Last edited by BoBrown; 10-02-2009 at 11:43 AM..
Old 10-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #12
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

then you need to put in
APN: asdamobiles.co.uk

Username: wap
Password: wap.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
BoBrown

Sorry guys, but this one has beaten me. I have tried all the suggestions although I must admit the only folder I seem to be able to change is the TCP/IP and then the fields are restricted by size. I really need to know from someone who has changed their provider who can actually point me to the exact files that need changing and which I have the necessary permissions and capability of changing. I just feel that Vodafone (or maybe BB) have done a really good job in preventing anyone from customising their browser access.

No matter what I seem to do, in Options>Advanced Options>Browser it still shows:
Default Browser Configurating: Vodafone Live and
Default WAP browser configuation: Vodafone Live.
Both are coloured blue with a drop down menu which will not drop down and when either is selected, there is no other menu available to do anything with. In fact the whole thing freezes.

I have been an accomplished computer user for more years than I care to remember but this problem just makes me realise I know absolutely nothing about mobile communications and that I will only be able to use the BB as a phone. Thanks anyway for all of your time. Kindest Regards, Bob Brown
Closed Thread