Old 11-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
abcdjzmcbt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Question Remove startup programs on Curve

Please Login to Remove!

when i start up my blackberry it automatically loads 10 programs: blackberry messenger, browser, maps, brickbreaker game, address book, set up wifi, messages, home screen, media, and call log. i would like to know if there is a way to disable the programs from starting when i turn my phone on, or if there is some kind of task manager i can use to close them COMPLETELY. because just pressing esc only gets you back to the menu and home screen but does not actually close them. i know the Curve isnt known for its processing power, but i believe these programs are slowing it down more. so is there some program similar to MSCONFIG to use? or some Task Manager for the Curve? thanks for the advice
Old 11-18-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

BBMessenger, Browser, Messages, Home Screen, and Call Log (Phone) all run all the time and can't be shut down. However, you can shut the others down by using the escape key (not the red phone button.) Hitting the Red Phone button always leaves the app running and takes you to the home screen. This may or may not be what you want to do.

You can hit the menu key from the home screen and select "Switch Application" and it will show all the apps running. Simply select the app to close and then hit the escape key (immediately right of the trackball) and that usually closes the app down. There are a few apps that escape doesn't close. For those you have to hit >Menu >Close from the app itself.

Also, removing the battery from the device will close those apps, as well. Simply turning the device off and back on doesn't close any apps.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
imcdona

Carrier: T-Mobile

John,

Thanks for your reply, but it still does not answer the question. For example, SameCell always runs at startup and can't be closed. The same thing for MobiPocket reader. Why would I want a book reader to open on startup? It doesn't make any sense. I can understand the logic for SameCell, after all, it is a GPS tracking program.

There has to be a way for me to choose what applications I want to open on startup. Vendors that are so proud of their apps that they wont let you close them is just wrong.

Again, is there a way to stop applications from opening up on start up?
Old 02-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

When you say "startup" do you mean when you power the device off and then back on? If you remove the battery from the device does the app run then? These are 3rd party apps and you'll likely need to contact the developer about why they run all the time, if they run all the time. Generally, from the app itself, you can select Menu >Close or Exit to end the program.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
imcdona

Wirelessly posted (Curve 8320: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

John,

Yes, if I take the battery out, and power back up the phone, the app starts again.

Its like having an app in the startup folder in windows. The only difference is you can't close the app. Why RIM gives the power to the developer to decide whether or not I want an app to run continously is beyond me.

If contacting the developer is the only way to stop this behavior, then I consider this a bug.

Thanks for your help John.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

There are lots of reasons for it. Personally, I'd like to have JiveTalk start and log in on startup but it doesn't. I've not used Mobi Pocket reader or SameCell so I don't know why they run in the background but since that feature requires a signature on the app (which costs money to the developer) I'm sure there's a good reason. If you don't like them running in the background, delete them.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:53 AM   #7
imcdona

There are many reasons why you would want an app to run on startup. That decision should be mine. <rant> just because a developer pays $100 for a signature does not give them the right to decide what apps run when I turn on my phone</rant>

Blackberry needs to provide an option for ME to decide what I want to run on startup.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:58 AM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

You do have the choice. Uninstall the app.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
Sci-Tek
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8000
Carrier: TDC

If the program don't have that option, you should uninstall it if you really dislike it. Maybe send a mail to the devs asking for them to develop this possibility.

Most startup apps I've seen have a option to set if you want it to startup or not. There are no phone settings which can change this

Sorry

Sci-Tek

Only dead fish follow the stream
Old 02-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Here is the beauty of owning a BB, take the time and go in each of those apps and shut them down. Since you won't need to reboot the device until you upgrade the OS it now becomes a non-issue.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:13 AM   #11
adri
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
BBMessenger, Browser, Messages, Home Screen, and Call Log (Phone) all run all the time and can't be shut down.
Rewind

John (or others). I just use a simple unlimited download plan and as a student I will never be spending the extra $33/year for the "full blackberry experience". This leaves me unable to use BB Messenger as well as BB Browser. Can I just remove these apps from my 8100? What are the potential pros and cons of doing this?
Old 02-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #12
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Yes, you can remove the BBMessenger. The browser is a little deeper programmed into the BB. I've never attempted to remove the browser. You could try, though, by following the instructions in my Optimizing post. Check my sig.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:52 AM   #13
adri
Thumbs Must Hurt

Got it, I'll probably simply remove the bbmessenger. Better to leave well enough alone when you're a noobie like I am. Thanks =)
Old 02-23-2008, 02:32 AM   #14
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri View Post
Got it, I'll probably simply remove the bbmessenger. Better to leave well enough alone when you're a noobie like I am. Thanks =)

Another beauty of owning a BB, back it up before you try to remove your browser then give it your best try. If you so happen to remove to much you can just wipe the device, reload the OS and start over again until you get it right.

As much as I've tried, you can't really hurt that thing...

If you happen to figure it out then post the instructions so the next person will benefit.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:56 AM   #15
adri
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.10222/272; U; en))

Backing up?! I like the sound of that. This is definitely something I'll look up later. Thanks
Old 11-28-2008, 05:55 AM   #16
digitalb0y

Carrier: Cingular

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I have to agree with John here. Users should ALWAYS have the final say in what gets to run on startup. On your computer system you would throw a huge fit if you weren't given that choice. Why should it be any different on your phone?

Uninstalling is not a solution. There are a lot of programs I wish DID run on startup, like my alarm clock program MyAlarm, which I have forgotten to start manually after resetting my phone and overslept for work the following day. I'm not going to do without just because it's missing that option though, just like John shouldn't have to uninstall programs he likes to use just because he doesn't want them running all the time.

Telling him there's no way to do it may be true, but the whole "uninstall it if you don't want it to run on startup" is not very helpful advice IMHO. I'm sure he realizes he could do that, and I'm sure there's a reason he put the software on the blackberry in the first place. Not having control of what's running when is a flaw in the OS as far as I'm concerned, or at the very least, a valid limitation to discuss in places like this, in hopes that others might see it and chime in here and elsewhere, ultimately getting it addressed.
Closed Thread