BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 12:10 PM   #41
dolo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon, Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Can someone post the link to register? Someone did that for the 87xx release party here at NYC and it was a blast. Of course we do corporate work for Cingular for work so that helps as well.

But please do post!

Regards,
dolo
Old 05-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #42
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Ok great, but does this mean it's going to drop into stores on the 7th as well? Or was Engadget right on with there date of June 13th???
Old 05-26-2007, 03:50 PM   #43
Spiffyis5150
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I don't know Sean. Boy Genius also thinks that the Iphone will be available on or around June 11. I think that AT&T will launch next week so that they can get the Curve out of the way. If they don't then I would definitely expect it on the week of the launch party. AT&T is so bad at launches and the information/training that they provide that I would expect them to dedicate a ton of time to not blowing the Iphone launch.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #44
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffyis5150 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I don't know Sean. Boy Genius also thinks that the Iphone will be available on or around June 11. I think that AT&T will launch next week so that they can get the Curve out of the way. If they don't then I would definitely expect it on the week of the launch party. AT&T is so bad at launches and the information/training that they provide that I would expect them to dedicate a ton of time to not blowing the Iphone launch.
Well as per my coversation with a random AT&T sales rep over the phone on Thursday and my hook from AT&T, the iphone launch has been pushed back! My guy seems to think it has something to do with the Curve launch, and AT&T not wanting anything to get in the way of iphone sales. However, this whole thing with launch dates getting fumbled is nothing new with AT&T. The whole month just looks like a big mess! Launch partys, no release dates for either phone , etc. It's like there flying by the seat of there pants. I guess as usual we'll just have to wait and see!

Last edited by sean76; 05-26-2007 at 04:10 PM..
Old 05-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #45
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I have yet to find a Cingular/AT&T CSR that had a clue as to the release date of the 8300. Only one that I have talked to even knew it existed...and that's only because she had been covered up with calls about it.

Of course...I'm not suprised. I had been the owner of a Crimson Cingular-branded Palm Treo 680 for two weeks, and still had Cingular corporate store reps asking where I got the "pretty phone". Amazing...
Old 05-28-2007, 11:51 AM   #46
The SPCS Guy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: 30F558F8
Carrier: SPRINT
Wink

I'll trust BGR more than I trust some employee who says there will be no party. If BG says there is a party, then there WILL BE a party!

Oh what are they doing to me. There's gonna be the 8120 coming out as well....Oh what should I do? what to do, what to do?

They are gonna have me changing BB's like I change my sweaty underwear.

Oh lawd!

I betta get ready to drwon my Bank account and have no money for another few months.

JE
Old 05-28-2007, 10:09 PM   #47
jasonfont426
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130g
PIN: 204C6D97
Carrier: US: AT&T | Panama: Cable & Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Well as per my coversation with a random AT&T sales rep over the phone on Thursday and my hook from AT&T, the iphone launch has been pushed back! My guy seems to think it has something to do with the Curve launch, and AT&T not wanting anything to get in the way of iphone sales. However, this whole thing with launch dates getting fumbled is nothing new with AT&T. The whole month just looks like a big mess! Launch partys, no release dates for either phone , etc. It's like there flying by the seat of there pants. I guess as usual we'll just have to wait and see!
Talk about speculation! Just who are you to say that AT&T is fumbling anything? Do you honestly think that AT&T corporate excutives have not timed this to utter precison? Just because they haven't personally communicated their plans to you doesn't mean that they are running around behind the scenes like bumbling idiots. Have you ever heard that old adage, "You know what happens when you assume...?"

Be patient and don't assume
Old 05-28-2007, 10:49 PM   #48
tprime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Tmobile

Party or no party!

Can we get it already!
Old 05-28-2007, 10:53 PM   #49
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

You gotta remember that at&t hasn't even officially announced an availability date for this. I don't think this is timed to utter perfection though. I think the problem is this...

Us geeks here are so eager to get this device that we jump all over it before a normal user even knows it's out there. I know I've signed up to be notified when the latest and greatest is announced many times from Cingular. And, I always end up with the device in my hand long before I get the notification. Mostly because someone here posts they got one and then we all start dialing for blackberries.

Sorry, I'm ranting. I just think that at&t once again isn't giving alot of info and we all start to get antsy.

Yep, I've got ants in the pants for my 8300 just like everyone else!
Old 05-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #50
jaronbrass
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 241BE401
Carrier: T-Mobile

What bugs me is that people don't seem to realize that launching a handset takes months of work and preparation before it can be offered to the general public for sale. AT&T has to test the device on their network, ensure perfect compatibility, train retail employees, train call center support employees, train their replacement/warranty employees, ensure adequate stock, etc. It's not as easy as shipping a few thousands units to stores and saying "have at it!" Sure, there have been hiccups in the past, but issues can and do happen.

I work in government, and I'm responsible for thousands of BlackBerry devices. I approach rollouts the same way AT&T does. I need to test them, verify them, and make sure that they work in all circumstances. Just because the handsets have the BlackBerry logo on the exterior doesn't mean that they're 100% fully backwards compatible. There's always something that has changed, and it's those changes that need to be addressed.

I had dozens of employees run out and buy 8100's and 8800's and come to me asking to connect to our BES implementation. My answer was always the same - you need to wait your turn and wait until my team finishes validating that everything works as expected.

AT&T is the same way. I'm sure they know that they're keeping two of the hottest, most-anticipated handsets of the year under lock and key for the time being. They're not doing it to taunt their customers. They're doing it to ensure that when they are released you will get the experience you expect, the support you deserve and everything else in between.

It wouldn't surprise me if AT&T released the Curve and the iPhone on the same day. Why? Because they're two incredibly handsets marketed at different demographics. I'm a die-hard Mac user and former Apple employee, yet I have no intention of purchasing an iPhone. I'm content with the BlackBerry user experience, the corporate functionality, the security, the readily-available software choices, etc. Some customers won't be able to buy the iPhone due to corporate concerns. Yet those same customers will be able to buy the Curve because it's supported in their infrastructure.

At the end of the day, both devices will find their way into the right hands of people who know what they're getting themselves into. The Curve is a serious business device with extras that broaden its market appeal. The iPhone is a device that is most likely going to be squarely targeted at consumers until Apple opens up the OS to third-party supports, better push e-mail integration, etc. When it comes down to it, my BlackBerry can do everything the iPhone can, minus the fancy UI and added bells and whistles.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:09 PM   #51
Andyn

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT&T / Verizon

I heard a rumor the Curve will not have GPS. Is this true?

www.twitter.com/SgtAndyNorris
Old 05-28-2007, 11:15 PM   #52
jaronbrass
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 241BE401
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyn View Post
I heard a rumor the Curve will not have GPS. Is this true?
None of the 8300 series (based on known information) have GPS. The 8320 model (uncovered by Boy Genius) has WiFi support, and is rumored to be headed to T-Mobile later this summer.

There was a rumor of an 8330 (called 'Papa Bear') that would have the camera, WiFi, and GPS - but I haven't heard anything about it for several months. It looks like the 8300 Curve will be available in two flavors only for the foreseeable future.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:17 PM   #53
Andyn

OK...Thx...Guess I will stick with my 8800 and use the camera on my Motorazr.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:21 PM   #54
Andyn

BTW. I wouldn't hold my breath on Apple opening the i Phone to 3rd party Apps. We all know Steve Jobs thinking on that. Wonder if the I Phone will be branded Cingular or AT&T. I noticed Jeff Burton finally was able to place the AT&T logo on his racecar. Took the 11th circuit to approve that. This has gotten way out of hand.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:25 PM   #55
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyn View Post
BTW. I wouldn't hold my breath on Apple opening the i Phone to 3rd party Apps. We all know Steve Jobs thinking on that. Wonder if the I Phone will be branded Cingular or AT&T. I noticed Jeff Burton finally was able to place the AT&T logo on his racecar. Took the 11th circuit to approve that. This has gotten way out of hand.
The latest rumor on Engadget today talks about someone from Apple mentioning Google "applications" that will be available on the iPhone. Another rumor is that Apple wouldn't allow any type of branding on the phone. So, it's only supposed to have at&t as the carrier name. But, we shall see...
Old 05-28-2007, 11:39 PM   #56
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfont426 View Post
Talk about speculation! Just who are you to say that AT&T is fumbling anything? Do you honestly think that AT&T corporate excutives have not timed this to utter precison? Just because they haven't personally communicated their plans to you doesn't mean that they are running around behind the scenes like bumbling idiots. Have you ever heard that old adage, "You know what happens when you assume...?"

Be patient and don't assume
Listen up Newjack, take a deep breath and think before you jump down somebodys throat! Yes I honestly do think they fumble toooo often!
Example A - Nokia N75- Was released over the internet with pictures and pricing, then hours later it was gone,then it popped up again as available, then it was listed out of stock, then it was listed as coming soon , then it vanished to be released 2 weeks later. This was like 3 weeks ago!
Example B - The Pearl- I won't even get into it!
Example C - The Curve- Yea there doing a great job!!!
So calm down pal, IT'S ALL SPECULATION, AND OPINIONS! Your probably a rep from AT&T that's tired of gettin calls about the Curve! Either way you won't get any luv on here if you want to talk about AT&T and how they plan out how and when to release a device! Explain to me how 3 carriers over seas have the Curve available, and the big US carrier who paid big money to carry it first hasn't even givin us a release date! This isn't Joes cell service, this is the second largest carrier in the US! A date would most likely put this all to bed, nah they'd rather have reps talkin about the iphone! Come on, I could go on for days!!!
Old 05-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #57
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 2432499F
Carrier: ATT

There is a party in NYC on the 7th - however it is not a consumer / vendor party as the 8800 launch tour was. It is strictly dealer only.
Boxtone
http://www.boxtone.com
Old 05-30-2007, 02:41 AM   #58
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

ok any dealers going to this nyc 8300 launch party? if u have an extra seat or can add another person to ur guest list...pm me.

im going to a mets vs sf game at shea stadium tomorrow 5/30/07 seating in the vip section(free food, booze, drinks etc.) i can invite 1 more person. so if u willing to exchange this with ur bringing me to the nyc launch party...i would greatly appreciate it. pm me asap (tomorrow afternoon the latest) if u interested.
Closed Thread