Old 12-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
triplecore
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9670
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Smile Browser Identification

Please Login to Remove!

I came from the 9630 running OS5 and the brower allowed you to choose how it would be identified so your could load full websites. Its a shame that with OS6 and this updated browser it is identified as a mobile device all the time and can't be changed. I would be great to use the full, wall street journal, or some other sites that don't have the link to the full site. I mean this whole OS6 browser is supposed to bring desktop browsing similar to the experience on Android and iPhones, to blackberry. Why at this time would RIM decided to remove the browser identification option seems really counter productive. Ohh well, i hope someone at RIM sees this and add this option back in the next update; I am sure other OS6 users are hoping the same.

Anyone know of any hacks to change the browsers identity?

thanks
Old 12-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Harrison Leggio
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Re: Browser Identification

Not that I know of, but you can always remove the ".mobi/m./mobile" prefixes or suffixes in the url bar.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 05-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany
Default Re: Browser Identification

Bump,
What the OP said is true, removing the option to set a browser identity is a painful drawback.

Some sites force a mobile version, unless you disable javascript, and worse, the mobile version might be for a screen the size of a standard mobile phone, making the rather large screen of the BB useless.
Other sites think, since the identity is "safari" u use a desktop browser and you then might get an overloaded multimedia version.

The older browser not also was able to set the identity,but also you could specify in a bookmark which browser should open a site, and if javascript was on or off.

I sometimes miss these options very much.

Of course this is also because of the misbehaviour of the site in question, but live would be easier if I could specify the browser identity & javascript setting for every bookmark.

How can I open the blackberryforums site in the Desktop version ?

Last edited by nobody7290; 05-22-2011 at 01:43 PM..