BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
bubbaman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Default What can a BES Admin actually look at on BB?

Please Login to Remove!

If you have a BB on BES what can the admin actually look at? Say you are on Cingular or Verizon and on BES with the company you work for. What messages can they read that you send/receive? I have read many forum postings and can't get a clear picture of what they can/can't do. If any one can clear this up I was curious about SMS, Email, BBMesenger, and what addresses you got to on the mobile web. Can they monitor them all? For you BES admins out there do you monitor them much?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Whetheror not they do so is really not the question. They can do so. Simply awssume anything on your BlackBerry or transmitted to or from it is available for your IT people to view or read. That includes your contacts, emails, websites viewed, data downloaded, and phone calls and SMS.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
artemis104
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: NA
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NA

i didnt realize phone logs, sms, etc. were all viewable too. i assume this is a case on a hosted BES too. if one is on hosted BES should they be concerned about privacy when it comes to email, etc.?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
bubbaman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis104 View Post
i didnt realize phone logs, sms, etc. were all viewable too. i assume this is a case on a hosted BES too. if one is on hosted BES should they be concerned about privacy when it comes to email, etc.?

This was one thing that I was thinking about. I have heard about BES co-ops and was thinking of maybe signing up, but you really don't know who the bes manager is. I talked to him and he said that it wasn't possible to look at what was sent and recieved. I didn't think that was the case, but I didn't really know for sure.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:32 AM   #5
btdown
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Don't forget they can get PIN messages also.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:36 AM   #6
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

this is the reason my company chose not to use a hosted BES.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:18 AM   #7
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

They also have your PIN, IMEI, and SIM ID. They can also push software down to your BB without you knowing it.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:36 AM   #8
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

From a practical standpoint you can't assume that anything on a company BES-connected BB is private. It's definitely the same with hosted BES since BES is BES, however, people more frequently ask about what their company's BES admin can and can't see. Your BES hosting company won't fire you or affect your job in the same way that your BES admin could if he/she runs across something that they deem as "inappropriate" -- whether you agree with them or not.

It was "common knowledge" a few years ago that PIN's were private since they weren't transmitted through BES. However, the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce story from ~2005 proved that wrong. The short answer is that if it doesn't jive with your company policies and if you want to keep it out of their eyes then keep it off their BB.

Last edited by takeshi; 06-06-2007 at 07:39 AM..
Old 06-06-2007, 08:16 AM   #9
pronerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
i assume this is a case on a hosted BES too. if one is on hosted BES should they be concerned about privacy when it comes to email, etc.?
Think bigger. Any information you send across any network can potentially be seen by others. Unless you have a true end to end encrypted tunnel the information you send out over networks is exposed. So everything in every email you ever wrote, IMs, website forms, information about you transmitted by spyware, information about transmitted by normal applications etc. can be read by anyone on that network.

Then take into account all the sharing of your information done by others. A lot of the companies you do business with sell/share at lest some if not all of the information they have about you(Name, Address, phone, email, credit card, social security number, etc.). Who knows how often they actually encrypt the information when sending it. My guess not very often. This is why you should always read privacy policies.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #10
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronerd View Post
Think bigger. Any information you send across any network can potentially be seen by others. Unless you have a true end to end encrypted tunnel the information you send out over networks is exposed. So everything in every email you ever wrote, IMs, website forms, information about you transmitted by spyware, information about transmitted by normal applications etc. can be read by anyone on that network.

Then take into account all the sharing of your information done by others. A lot of the companies you do business with sell/share at lest some if not all of the information they have about you(Name, Address, phone, email, credit card, social security number, etc.). Who knows how often they actually encrypt the information when sending it. My guess not very often. This is why you should always read privacy policies.
very good point indeed
Old 06-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #11
artemis104
Thumbs Must Hurt

good points. do you think theres anything to be worried about when using hosted bes? what are the chances a legit company is going to read through your emails and logs, push software to you without you knowing, etc.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #12
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
good points. do you think theres anything to be worried about when using hosted bes? what are the chances a legit company is going to read through your emails and logs, push software to you without you knowing, etc.
I wouldnt be too worried about it but if the company has any dishonest employees those would be the ones I would be worried about.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
artemis104
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I wouldnt be too worried about it but if the company has any dishonest employees those would be the ones I would be worried about.
true and i guess in that case you'd have to be concerned about your credit card info too and not just your emails. hopefully i wont have any issues with my hosted bes.

Last edited by artemis104; 06-06-2007 at 08:22 PM..
Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 PM   #14
bubbaman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Now that I know everyting can be looked at, how many of you BES admins actually look through people's email, sms, and BB mesenger messages? I'm not talking about people just looking, I am more interested in how many would report to their bosses about something they found.

Is their any way to put up a poll for this? I'm not sure how to do it. I'm curious of the following:

How many BES admins would report to their boss for:

1.) Non-company use messages such as making afterwork plans
2.) messages between a "couple" (you get the picture)
3.) emails of someone looking for a new job
Old 06-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #15
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I wouldn't look at any of those.... unless there was a reason for me to, like a request from HR.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #16
pgab
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Cingular

They can see SMS? Aren't those transmitted directly to your service provider?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #17
Dude
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

are the contents of the Password Keeper viewable by the BES admin?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:55 PM   #18
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

I hear they can see what's going on in your bedroom!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:57 PM   #19
jakob
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
I hear they can see what's going on in your bedroom!!!!!!
who knows what the hell they are going to do with the new cameras in the curve and pearl....
Old 06-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #20
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaman View Post
Is their any way to put up a poll for this? I'm not sure how to do it.
Yup -- it's a built-in feature of the forums but you have to post a new topic. I can't see the statistical significance in such a poll but why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgab View Post
They can see SMS? Aren't those transmitted directly to your service provider?
As I pointed out earlier in this thread, PIN's aren't transmitted via the BES at all and were though to be completely private until "common knowledge" was proven wrong. Even if the gurus here told you that SMS was totally private how do you know that those claiming to be in the know won't be proven wrong down the road?? If keeping something private is a must then keep it off a company BES-connected BB. Otherwise you're taking a risk. With some employers it's no big deal. With others you really need to watch what you're doing.

Last edited by takeshi; 06-07-2007 at 08:16 AM..
Closed Thread