Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
serrano_yejo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Exclamation Apple Internet Service

Please Login to Remove!

Need verification!!!! Some of the people in this forum have good contacts in the business. I was in the Apple store in Boca Raton Town Center Mall and I overheard an employee (dunno if it was the store manager) explaining to a group of "suits" that w/ the iPhone Apple will let you add an unspecified number of emails thru a web-page and the email will be sent to the phone (he kept talking about other features that Apple has in place for battery life.

Wow!!! Is this Apple version of BIS. Thinking about it... Isn't BIS a pop3 server w/ push... Can Apple do this , this easy? If Apple does this (let's say it will) how the iPhone will stack against WinMo phones, Treos, and BB? Can someone verify if Apple is planning their own version of BIS or "AIS"
Old 02-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
stac

Model: 8110
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrano_yejo
Need verification!!!! Some of the people in this forum have good contacts in the business. I was in the Apple store in Boca Raton Town Center Mall and I overheard an employee (dunno if it was the store manager) explaining to a group of "suits" that w/ the iPhone Apple will let you add an unspecified number of emails thru a web-page and the email will be sent to the phone (he kept talking about other features that Apple has in place for battery life.

Wow!!! Is this Apple version of BIS. Thinking about it... Isn't BIS a pop3 server w/ push... Can Apple do this , this easy? If Apple does this (let's say it will) how the iPhone will stack against WinMo phones, Treos, and BB? Can someone verify if Apple is planning their own version of BIS or "AIS"
I have an itchy, switchy finger now that I've heard this rumor... waiting for some confirmation!!!

Stac

'This one goes to eleven...'
Old 02-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
Toadey

Model: 8700

I haven't heard that rumor, but that would be cool if it were true. I really took exception to S. Jobs telling people at the iPhone unveiling/presentation that the iPhone's e-mail will work just like the Blackberry, using "free Yahoo push." The fact is: No. It doesn't work "just like the blackberry." Unless Yahoo is unveiling something new, I can only assume he means the current Yahoo service that sends you a text message when you get a new e-mail, and I guess Cingular won't be charging per text message w/ an iPhone? Either way, his statement was a BIG stretch.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
serrano_yejo

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I talked to one of the employees (he owns a Pearl) he told me that no matter how flashy a phone is if it doesn't have push email for the regular joe it will not be succsesfull and that they are working to provide a BIS type of service ala BB... I personally don't know but if this is true is gonna get funny in the wireless market ... Not eve Microsoft provides a service like that, if I am not mistaken you have to have exchange server and a lot of crap that a reg person doesn't have or can afford... I guess they are not holding any punches.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
deezmfnutz

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadey
I haven't heard that rumor, but that would be cool if it were true. I really took exception to S. Jobs telling people at the iPhone unveiling/presentation that the iPhone's e-mail will work just like the Blackberry, using "free Yahoo push." The fact is: No. It doesn't work "just like the blackberry." Unless Yahoo is unveiling something new, I can only assume he means the current Yahoo service that sends you a text message when you get a new e-mail, and I guess Cingular won't be charging per text message w/ an iPhone? Either way, his statement was a BIG stretch.

I assume they are going to have push yahoo mail similar to the BIS/Yahoo integration. That is all well and good, but hopefully they will offer a BIS type solution so use with other email accounts as well....but we will have to wait and see.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:08 PM   #6
gziz

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular

too hard, they need a stable NOC to route the email i believe and that takes time to develop and test
Old 02-20-2007, 02:47 AM   #7
jbibbs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
PIN: 400BD897
Carrier: Nextel

If the iPhone were to come out with a BB connect software I'd consider switching over to it, if not then I just can't do it. My company requires I have a blackberry so unless something is developed between now and launch the iPhone is a no go for me
Old 02-20-2007, 08:06 AM   #8
RIMarkable
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrano_yejo
I talked to one of the employees (he owns a Pearl) he told me that no matter how flashy a phone is if it doesn't have push email for the regular joe it will not be succsesfull and that they are working to provide a BIS type of service ala BB... I personally don't know but if this is true is gonna get funny in the wireless market ... Not eve Microsoft provides a service like that, if I am not mistaken you have to have exchange server and a lot of crap that a reg person doesn't have or can afford... I guess they are not holding any punches.
IMO, the average Joe doesn't need push. For us CrackBerry Addicts it is easy to think that everyone is as into their email as we are but the average Joe checks personal email less than 3 times per week.