BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
dabull
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Default Best Skins Ever, **Good**

Please Login to Remove!

What the hell? i was under the impression, by the website and people on this forum, that the total body skin was just that, a slip-on complete skin. i just recieved it today, its nothing more then flimsy vynil stick-ons. this is junk! i had the screenguards stick-ons already, these are exactly the same thing. and the one covers the battery door so you cant even open the battery? how lame is this? these type of skins dont offer much protection, as soon as i slide my phone into my pocket the stupid things peel right off. and once its off its never going back on without a bunch of bubbles. completely lame, i cant believe people here recommend these things. the rubberized seido case was bad, now this. oh well, i guess my pearl stays naked the way its intended to be.

Last edited by dabull; 01-08-2007 at 11:23 PM..
Old 01-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
Markymark
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I havent applied my skin yet but it seems like a hassle having to get it wet and let it dry for 48 hours, but I hope it works out ok.

An as far as the rubberized case, it makes me feel more comfortable about having the peal just in case I get careless and drop it.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
dabull

believe me, if you drop the phone with the rubberized case on it will come off. i mean if you drop it onto a hard surface, which is what a case is supposed to protect.

dont waste your time with the bse total body skin. burn it, it will be a much more enjoyable experience.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
onth

Model: 9700
PIN: G PONG
Carrier: AT&T

I am using Shieldzone Full Body Skin. If I am not mistaken BSE and ShieldZone are the same thing. But I dont see the issue that you mentioned here though.

The skin for the battery cover is just a piece of film that cover ONLY the battery cover, it doesnt touch the body of the phone besides the battery cover, how would that not let you pull open the battery?

It does help me to protect my phone solidly. I dropped it couple times without a scratch and it protects the phone from all the finger prints and stuffs. And, once it is on, you can hardly peel it off just like that. My friend can hardly tell I have installed the shield on my phone.

Did you follow the instruction to put it on?

Overall, I love this thing.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
dabull

thing is everytime i go to a party and get a little lit i forget to handle the phone with super-precious fingers. if you shove your hand into a tigh-jean pocket, these 'stickers' peel right off. it happens every time, i had 15 screenguards (exactly like the front skin from bse) and im down to 1. they all peel off if you forget to handle it right. i dont know, maybe everyone here just works in an office all day where the pearl doesnt get handled at all. on a construction site, or party and the like, this phone is best naked. im looking into the krussell leather slip-on case, that looks very good. ive had krussell cases before and they are extremely rugged.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: iFone
Carrier: AT&T™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabull
What the hell? i was under the impression, by the website and people on this forum, that the total body skin was just that, a slip-on complete skin. i just recieved it today, its nothing more then flimsy vynil stick-ons. this is junk! i had the screenguards stick-ons already, these are exactly the same thing. and the one covers the battery door so you cant even open the battery? how lame is this? these type of skins dont offer much protection, as soon as i slide my phone into my pocket the stupid things peel right off. and once its off its never going back on without a bunch of bubbles. completely lame, i cant believe people here recommend these things. the rubberized seido case was bad, now this. oh well, i guess my pearl stays naked the way its intended to be.
Looks like the BSE was misinterpreted while the Rubberized Case was faulty.

I love my BSE skin, applied it in 15-20 mins and done. Easy as pushing the Staples' red 'Easy' button.

As for the Rubberized Case, I actually dropped my phone for the first time! I was sleeping when someone texted me, I checked to see who it was then tried placing the Pearl on my nightstand which I completely miss. The Pearl got a nice body slam from about 3 feet. I did have the Rubberized Case though and that helped the Pearl.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
thing is everytime i go to a party and get a little lit i forget to handle the phone with super-precious fingers. if you shove your hand into a tigh-jean pocket, these 'stickers' peel right off. it happens every time, i had 15 screenguards (exactly like the front skin from bse) and im down to 1. they all peel off if you forget to handle it right.
Haha, I've had the screenguardz and can tell you they are not the same. I immediately returned the screenguardz because it felt cheap and slipped off like you said. Are you sure you applied it on right? The BSE skin is very sticky and doesn't slide off.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
thing is everytime i go to a party and get a little lit i forget to handle the phone with super-precious fingers. if you shove your hand into a tigh-jean pocket, these 'stickers' peel right off. it happens every time, i had 15 screenguards (exactly like the front skin from bse) and im down to 1. they all peel off if you forget to handle it right. i dont know, maybe everyone here just works in an office all day where the pearl doesnt get handled at all. on a construction site, or party and the like, this phone is best naked. im looking into the krussell leather slip-on case, that looks very good. ive had krussell cases before and they are extremely rugged.
I have the sheildzone skins....I think they're great. I use a pretty tight fitting holster (as tight as most tight jeans) and don't have the problem you are speaking of. the Shieldzone covers do have some smaller pieces that BSE doesn't have and those are finally beginning to peel a little don the corners but they are still staying on just fine. The big pieces like the BSE skins are not peeling at all. I'm very happy with mine.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
dabull

ive cracked my pearl onto frozen concrete in mid-teen's weather. 6ft+ drop, it chunked out a corner, and took another piece from the silver on the other side. phone never skipped a beat, i was simply amazed. ive always had lg phones, and those are bullet-proof- i thought this more-intricate pearl would be fragile, but its not.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
dabull

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
I have the sheildzone skins....I think they're great. I use a pretty tight fitting holster (as tight as most tight jeans) and don't have the problem you are speaking of. the Shieldzone covers do have some smaller pieces that BSE doesn't have and those are finally beginning to peel a little don the corners but they are still staying on just fine. The big pieces like the BSE skins are not peeling at all. I'm very happy with mine.

i need to get my car-holsters up for sale. ive been worried that people will be picky on the details, but if these very lame stickers please everyone then man i should be able to make some very happy customers.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #11
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markymark
I havent applied my skin yet but it seems like a hassle having to get it wet and let it dry for 48 hours, but I hope it works out ok.

An as far as the rubberized case, it makes me feel more comfortable about having the peal just in case I get careless and drop it.
It did seem like a hassle at first but the Pearl application is nothing compared to applying it on a Macbook. Vulgar words were flying out of my mouth like fireworks.

I think even if you take your time, you should NOT spend more than 25-30 mins applying the whole skin. I did however follow the instructions except for the '24-48 hour' part. The water dried up fairly quick. If it doesn't then that means you didn't do a good job getting the excess water out (use a credit card).
Old 01-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #12
onth

I do go party and do get sticky fingers eventhough I work in the office.

but trust me, if you apply it correctly, you will be please with this thing. It doesnt peel off at all unless you intentionally do it by peeling off from the corner of the skin. It just sticks on it like a litch.

I was trying to pull out the the page on ShieldZone that shows you how to apply it, but it seems like the link only shows on the package that comes with it.

Search around, there are lots of instructions that show you how to install it as well.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #13
dabull

i know how to apply. you are all saying the same thing, the corners DO come loose and you all admit that could be where it peels from. it does, thats what im talking about. i dont work in an office guys, i beat the hell out of my phone. these stickers are junk for my use, there isnt much else to it. for light use im sure their fine, same goes for the rubberized case. leather cases have always been the only type of case that truely protects a phone. good ol leather, just like my coat that 5+ years old and still looks the same.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #14
road7
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-mobile

I just finished putting on my bse total body skin and all went well. If you take your time and make sure everything lines up and there are no air bubbles it's great.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #15
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
i know how to apply. you are all saying the same thing, the corners DO come loose and you all admit that could be where it peels from. it does, thats what im talking about. i dont work in an office guys, i beat the hell out of my phone. these stickers are junk for my use, there isnt much else to it. for light use im sure their fine, same goes for the rubberized case. leather cases have always been the only type of case that truely protects a phone. good ol leather, just like my coat that 5+ years old and still looks the same.

That's NOT what I said. I said there were some very tiny pieces included with Shieldzone that go on the chrome sides that are beginning to peel on mine. Those aren't even included in your BSE set! The big ones that cover the screen, and battery cover are doing great, in and out of the holster 18,000 times a day! They stay on great.

If you want them to come off you have to really work at it with your fingernails. They really are better than you're giving credit for. Send them back. If you can't, put them on anyway, what do you have to lose? You'll probably be surprised. I put the BSE on my daughters Nintendo DS....she loves it. Makes it easier to hold and won't scratch.

Last edited by John Clark; 01-08-2007 at 08:18 PM..
Old 01-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #16
dabull

ahhh... there are a couple little cutouts on that sheet, nothing i though of actually putting on.

where mine peels is at the top, at the speaker. ive thought of just cutting the sticker down, to stop just above the screen- that should have a much better chance of staying on
Old 01-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #17
onth

Quote:
i know how to apply. you are all saying the same thing, the corners DO come loose and you all admit that could be where it peels from. it does, thats what im talking about.
That's not what I meant either.

The corner DOES NOT come loose, unless you INTENTIONALLY peeling it off by starting from the corner, that's the way to remove it after it had worn out.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #18
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Why don't you just give them a try? If you hate it you can peel it off later. You're out less than $15. I think you will be impressed. Give them a day or two to dry good before slipping them in your tight jeans, though. On the shieldzone brand there are small narrow pieces (6 in total per side) that go on the angled portion of the chrome sides. They are about 2mm wide and are in 6 pieces. the short ones that go around the ends are peeling a little on mine. Everything else is staying on just fine. You weren't even given those pieces so I think you have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #19
dabull

:D see now you need to read my posts. i already had these before, thats why im so disappointed. i had 15 of them in fact, and they all peeled off. not intentionally, but the corners will let go and its all downhill from there. ive been trying to get used to these for over a month now, they eventually peel off and frustrate the hell out of me. believe me, this wasnt a first impression, its an experienced opinion.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:52 PM   #20
Damager
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
:D see now you need to read my posts. i already had these before, thats why im so disappointed. i had 15 of them in fact, and they all peeled off. not intentionally, but the corners will let go and its all downhill from there. ive been trying to get used to these for over a month now, they eventually peel off and frustrate the hell out of me. believe me, this wasnt a first impression, its an experienced opinion.
I am really having a hard time understanding your experience - mine is completely different. I've used BSE on Ipods and my Pearl, and there is no way in hell the skins come off from going in and out of a jeans pocket. There isn't a single loose piece - could you maybe have received a bad one? I believe someone else on this board a few days ago said that their first one wouldn't stick, but when BSE sent a replacement, it worked well.
Closed Thread