Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #521
robl45
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

has anyone figured out the out of sync issue with movies? I've asked a few times and no one has an answer. I encode the movies with nero recode. I use that pretty much because it lets you boost the volume so I can actually hear it on the pearl. Then I use the blackberry desktop manager to convert them to work on the pearl. They play fine, but when you get to different parts of the movie, the video and audio get out of sync. Its definately not an encoding issue. Its like the processor in the pearl cant handle everything and gets bogged down. I've tried bigger files and smaller files, tried making sure all apps are turned off. I"m at a loss at this point. But frankly, if the thing can't play movies, I'm kinda let down. I know the screen is small and pretty much I just use it at the airport and stuff, but its pretty annoying to have the movie get out of sync every 20 seconds or so.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #522
mdavid

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers
Wink

Okay, here's how to create ROTATED FULLSCREEN videos to fit the wierd size of the 8100.

1. Download the latest version of Virtual Dub.
2. Download the latest version of the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.
3. Run Virtual Dub, and as long as it is an AVI file, you should be able to open it.
4. Add two filters: first, add a rotate filter, 90 degrees left or right.
5. Second filter: resize to the closest division of the actual size to the target size (240x260).

E.g,:

Original video: 640x480, rotated = 480x640. Reduced by 50% = 240x320.

6. In the resize filter properties, crop the image to 240x260, thereby discarding 30 pixels on both sides of the image.

* If you have a widescreen video, you will probably want to reduce it less to keep more of the image.

7. Under Audio, set it to Full Stream processing, and select Lame MP3. Pick a decent stero bitrate.

8. Under Video, set it to full processing mode, go to compression, and pick xvid. Set profile to mobile device, that's all you need.

9. Under file, Save As an AVI file.

Use a fullscreen media player like mediaPlayer or xplayer (mediaPlayer is MUCH better but is trialware) to get a proper fullscreen experience.

Last edited by mdavid; 02-23-2008 at 06:24 PM..
Old 02-28-2008, 02:42 AM   #523
532Fastback
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

nevermind
|__|..........|__|

Last edited by 532Fastback; 02-28-2008 at 03:25 AM..
Old 02-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #524
532Fastback
Thumbs Must Hurt

i am a retard sorry
|__|..........|__|

Last edited by 532Fastback; 02-29-2008 at 01:20 AM..
Old 02-29-2008, 01:46 AM   #525
532Fastback
Thumbs Must Hurt

haha tight, i used super and i have my fire crew video on my blackberry it looks sik!

it says its its 37 minutes long though and its only 10 minutes?
|__|..........|__|

Last edited by 532Fastback; 02-29-2008 at 01:47 AM..
Old 02-29-2008, 01:49 AM   #526
532Fastback
Thumbs Must Hurt

aww wtf it gives me an error after 1 minute and 5 seconds :(
|__|..........|__|
Old 02-29-2008, 02:10 AM   #527
532Fastback
Thumbs Must Hurt

I redid it and now it says the right length of the video....lets see if it plays the entire thing...

EDIT: Its playing past 1 min 5 sec so i think i fixed it
Thanks for the awesome post. Took me a while to get Super to download though. i had to open all my browsers and see which one would do it.

EDIT AGAIN: Right when i hit save it stopped working! AWWWWWWWWWWW wth is wrong with this damn thing.
|__|..........|__|

Last edited by 532Fastback; 02-29-2008 at 02:12 AM..
Old 04-09-2008, 03:55 AM   #528
Jack4378

Carrier: Blackberry

Does anyone know why this does not work anymore for lots of users? I used it a few months ago without any problem, but when I upgraded my computer and re-downloaded Mencoder (I believe a new version) I now get the dreaded 'Audio LAVC, couldn't find encoder for codec mp3' and the application stops.

I haven' changed anything except the program, so I am hoping a fix comes out soon or if someone knows a work-around that would be great.

The SUPER encoder doesn't work for me either, so I am a bit stuck right now.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Jack
Old 04-09-2008, 05:54 AM   #529
robl45

I've used nero recode and that works kind of, but still have times when the audio lags the video. I think the blackberrys just aren't up to playing videos.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #530
bxb00

Carrier: verizon
Default no sound

Im trying to get avi's onto my pearl i use super and this settings avi, h.263, mp3, 176x144, 4:3 aspect ratio, 12.5 fps but when i trans fer it on to my phone there is no sound does anyone know the settings for the sound on super
Old 04-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #531
technovice

Carrier: O2

Hi all
i know BES helps with browser issues but if this is not possible, then is there any another browser available for Bberry. i mean apart from opera. like is there a mini version of IE.

cheerio
Old 04-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #532
Dan East
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: US Cellular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavid View Post
Use a fullscreen media player like mediaPlayer or xplayer (mediaPlayer is MUCH better but is trialware) to get a proper fullscreen experience.
The BB video player does good fullscreen for me. Is the fullscreen mode of these players different or better? Can these players handle any additional video codecs that that BB player cannot normally handle, or are they merely using the internal video capability and implementing a new interface?

As an addendum, I tried mediaPlayer and really did not like it. Once a video is playing absolutely nothing can be done - I can't change the volume, or seek, or do anything at all. Am I missing something?

Another addendum - I tried xplayer, and it won't play any video at all. The videos play fine in the BB player, but xplayer justs sits and does nothing when a video is selected.

Last edited by Dan East; 04-25-2008 at 08:11 AM..
Old 04-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #533
jacob06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zro View Post
I thought I would start a new thread that maybe I can con a mod into making sticky...

There are a couple methods that have proven sucessful, here is the one that I use.

Will output to an mpeg4 .avi file:

Download the MPlayer encoder from here:
www.mplayerhq.hu
You don't need the codec pack for encoding to the proper format for the 8100

Then in the mencoder window encode with:

If you’re running Widows XP and if the mencoder program closes upon opening then proceed with the following steps:

1. Right click on mencoder
2. Click Create Shortcut
3. Right click on the Shortcut and click Properties
4. Change the Target to: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
5. Click Apply
6. Click OK
7. Now click on the Shortcut to mencoder.

Note that with the above code, the <output file> has to be an avi, but the <input file> can be just about anything you can play on your computer.

Also Note that if your input file is widescreen, this will compress it down to Pan-and-Scan ratios. You can play with the "scale=240:180" option for widescreen input and output.

Works like a dream.

Method 2: From another post in this forum. I take no credit/flack for this method.

Will output to an H.263 .avi file
Go to www.erightsoft.com then freeware tab>super>download, then install and open the program.
Note: you can also go direct to www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html#Dnload.

Next, edit some of the settings.

Like so:

1.Select the Output Container= avi
2.Select the output Video codec=H.263
3.Aspect=11:9,4:3 or 1:1
4.Frame/sec= 14.985
5.Bitrate kbps= 576

Now right click on the program and select specify the output folder destination and put wherever you want the files to be saved

Now drag and drop your file into super and hit Encode(active job list files)

Next go to your output folder select the file you want on your BB and copy it. Now connect your BB and enter mass storage mode and paste the file into your BlackBerry video folder.

Enjoy all.

Zro
Ok I tried this method..I was able to get it to run with out issues..it created the new file but when I placed the file on to the blackberry it says it can not play content....I tried playinging on my computer and I have sound but no video.

here is an example of what i am doing at the command prompt in the mplayer folder that contains the file i want to convert. Please if you hve any ideas respond....

@echo off

echo %1

mencoder.exe -vf scale=320:240 f:\mplayer\fart.mpg -o f:\mplayer\fart.avi -of avi -ofps 24 -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=250:acodec=mp3:abitrate=64

PAUSE
Old 04-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #534
Dan East
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: US Cellular

jacob06 - mencoder does not produce playable videos for me either.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-problems.html

Dan
Old 04-28-2008, 07:16 AM   #535
jacob06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan East View Post
jacob06 - mencoder does not produce playable videos for me either.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-problems.html

Dan
well mencoder works fine for me..I can play it on the player..but when I transfer it to the phone it won't play..so i decided to use super. I convert to 3gp and it works good...quality is fine..but the sound does not sink up that well..so if any one has settings or knows how to make it match..please post reply...good luckeveryone else.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #536
greenmr

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
has anyone figured out the out of sync issue with movies? I've asked a few times and no one has an answer. I encode the movies with nero recode. I use that pretty much because it lets you boost the volume so I can actually hear it on the pearl. Then I use the blackberry desktop manager to convert them to work on the pearl. They play fine, but when you get to different parts of the movie, the video and audio get out of sync. Its definately not an encoding issue. Its like the processor in the pearl cant handle everything and gets bogged down. I've tried bigger files and smaller files, tried making sure all apps are turned off. I"m at a loss at this point. But frankly, if the thing can't play movies, I'm kinda let down. I know the screen is small and pretty much I just use it at the airport and stuff, but its pretty annoying to have the movie get out of sync every 20 seconds or so.
Just got a new 8300 and was pulling my hair out over sync issues and picking a good encoding format. First thing I found is that the formats that work for the Pearl don't seem to reliably work with the Curve. I eventually settled on MP3 and H263 (DivX works but XviD doesn't), but the really frustrating thing was that no matter what tools I used to encode with the video would drop behind the audio after a few seconds, then jump back into sync, only to drift out again. This repeated itself every 5-15 seconds. Confusing the issue was that not all videos I reencoded had this problem.

After much hair-pulling, I finally found the common thread with the problem videos. Maybe this will apply to the Pearl too, since I understand all recent Blackberries have used the same processor. It seems that the BB doesn't have enough horsepower to decode MPEG4 video at the NTSC broadcast frame rate of 29.976fps. NTSC film at 23.976fps synced fine, as did PAL film at 25fps, but as soon as I reencoded anything at 29.976fps the BB just couldn't keep up.

The solution that worked well for me was to half the frame rate on NTSC broadcast clips to 14.875. If you use Super C for the conversion you can just select that rate from the radio buttons. If you use VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod for the conversion, you can tell the tool to "decimate" every second frame by entering a decimate value of 2.

I am very picky about my video encodes... I do lots of AVI and H264 conversions to DVD, but I was unable to see any jerkiness when watching clips at 14.875fps on the small screen of my BB. Note that although this desync only happens for me at 29.976fps, it is possible that on the Pearl some of the slower frame rates are problematic too, so try encoding them at half the native framerate and see what happens. I doubt you'll be able to spot the low frame rate on the handheld screen.

A side benefit of halving the frame rate is that for the same video bitrate the encode quality will be higher. Of course, at this screen size you probably won't notice it, but it might allow you to create smaller media files for your BB that look just as good.
Hope this helps someone here.

Last edited by greenmr; 05-01-2008 at 07:56 PM..
Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #537
greenmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4378 View Post
Does anyone know why this does not work anymore for lots of users? I used it a few months ago without any problem, but when I upgraded my computer and re-downloaded Mencoder (I believe a new version) I now get the dreaded 'Audio LAVC, couldn't find encoder for codec mp3' and the application stops.

I haven' changed anything except the program, so I am hoping a fix comes out soon or if someone knows a work-around that would be great.

The SUPER encoder doesn't work for me either, so I am a bit stuck right now.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Jack
Recent versions of mencoder changed the syntax when using the mp3 codec... now instead of mp3 you need to specify mp3lame instead.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:12 PM   #538
cjdhx9

Carrier: AT&T
Default Trouble with flv

I'm trying to use the first method, with Mplayer, to convert a .flv to a .avi
But it tells me "Audio LAVC, couldn't find encoder for codec mp3."

Here's what i'm entering in the Dos

mencoder -vf scale=240:180 C:\Dr._Tran.flv -o C:\Dr._Tran.avi -of avi -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=230:acodec=mp3:abitrate=64

I don't know dos, and I'm not great with computers, so perhaps if you have a suggestion you could put it laymen terms. Thanks. By the way I'm new to the forum. Just got my Pearl(8100) and I love it.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #539
greenmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdhx9 View Post
I'm trying to use the first method, with Mplayer, to convert a .flv to a .avi
But it tells me "Audio LAVC, couldn't find encoder for codec mp3."

Here's what i'm entering in the Dos

mencoder -vf scale=240:180 C:\Dr._Tran.flv -o C:\Dr._Tran.avi -of avi -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=230:acodec=mp3:abitrate=64

I don't know dos, and I'm not great with computers, so perhaps if you have a suggestion you could put it laymen terms. Thanks. By the way I'm new to the forum. Just got my Pearl(8100) and I love it.
As I stated in my earlier post... newer versions of mencoder have changed the syntax and you must now specify 'acodec=mp3lame" instead of the old way... "acodec=mp3". I wonder if you even read the post immediately before yours?
Old 05-15-2008, 09:12 AM   #540
robl45

I will have to try slowing the frame rate down, is this the same as lower quality? I have tried lower quality settings and it still doesn't work right. Works fine on the computer and won't sync on the blackberry. I'm seriously thinking of getting the new iphone because it can do fullscreen wide video and the new bold doesn't have a full screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmr View Post
Just got a new 8300 and was pulling my hair out over sync issues and picking a good encoding format. First thing I found is that the formats that work for the Pearl don't seem to reliably work with the Curve. I eventually settled on MP3 and H263 (DivX works but XviD doesn't), but the really frustrating thing was that no matter what tools I used to encode with the video would drop behind the audio after a few seconds, then jump back into sync, only to drift out again. This repeated itself every 5-15 seconds. Confusing the issue was that not all videos I reencoded had this problem.

After much hair-pulling, I finally found the common thread with the problem videos. Maybe this will apply to the Pearl too, since I understand all recent Blackberries have used the same processor. It seems that the BB doesn't have enough horsepower to decode MPEG4 video at the NTSC broadcast frame rate of 29.976fps. NTSC film at 23.976fps synced fine, as did PAL film at 25fps, but as soon as I reencoded anything at 29.976fps the BB just couldn't keep up.

The solution that worked well for me was to half the frame rate on NTSC broadcast clips to 14.875. If you use Super C for the conversion you can just select that rate from the radio buttons. If you use VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod for the conversion, you can tell the tool to "decimate" every second frame by entering a decimate value of 2.

I am very picky about my video encodes... I do lots of AVI and H264 conversions to DVD, but I was unable to see any jerkiness when watching clips at 14.875fps on the small screen of my BB. Note that although this desync only happens for me at 29.976fps, it is possible that on the Pearl some of the slower frame rates are problematic too, so try encoding them at half the native framerate and see what happens. I doubt you'll be able to spot the low frame rate on the handheld screen.

A side benefit of halving the frame rate is that for the same video bitrate the encode quality will be higher. Of course, at this screen size you probably won't notice it, but it might allow you to create smaller media files for your BB that look just as good.
Hope this helps someone here.
Closed Thread