BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
gluck75
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: t
Default Verizon Doesn't Care about 7130!!!

Please Login to Remove!

This started to be discussed in a past thread but I think it deserves it's own...

It seem very obvious to me that Verizon rolled out it's EVDO Network and compatable devices well before they were reliable and it seemsthey couldn't care less about the problems their broadband customers are having.

My new 7130 and my 7250 both switch from 1x to 1X to 1XEvdo constantly, and I live in New York City, a clear EVDO area.. Nobody at Verizon has any answers, and worse, nobody seems to really care. I pay a lot of money to Verizon every month for my devices and I have been a loyal customer going back to the Bell Atlantic Mobile days.

Do we have any recourse at all? Does anybody have any suggestions?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
MI_Jester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I don't have a Verizon, but I thought Verizon used *22899 as an update to their PRL. That fixed several verizon connections issues here.

Jester

*Just noticed they mentioned it in the other thread. I don't know what to say beyond that if updating the PRL and contacting customer service didn't help.

Last edited by MI_Jester; 12-07-2005 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Noticed it was already suggested in the other thread
Old 12-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #3
wangta01
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluck75
This started to be discussed in a past thread but I think it deserves it's own...

It seem very obvious to me that Verizon rolled out it's EVDO Network and compatable devices well before they were reliable and it seemsthey couldn't care less about the problems their broadband customers are having.

My new 7130 and my 7250 both switch from 1x to 1X to 1XEvdo constantly, and I live in New York City, a clear EVDO area.. Nobody at Verizon has any answers, and worse, nobody seems to really care. I pay a lot of money to Verizon every month for my devices and I have been a loyal customer going back to the Bell Atlantic Mobile days.

Do we have any recourse at all? Does anybody have any suggestions?
Hello fellow new yorker - I agree with you. I'm still within my 15 day window and am considering returning it and going over to cingular.

Currently my phone is stuck on DATA CONNECTION REFUSED. That, obviously, is a problem. I'm on 55th and 6th avenue. And I have a coworkers Verizon phone right next to me with full bars. This is an issue.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

First be sure you update your PRL at least once per month. Verizon adds towers weekly and it can affect 1XEV. I updated yesterday and have not had any data connection refused errors since.

From many posts, it appears VZW is having some problems with EVDO coverage. But I've been using VZAccess w/my 7130 all day and have not had any problems. You may want to read the 8700 threads regarding Cingular's EDGE network..... they too are having problems.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:54 PM   #5
polo2883

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

I was told that its a known issue!!!! just got swap it for another unit if you are within your 15 day window. Tech support says they are having the issue with a small amount of the new 7130e. I had the "data connection refused" happne once and after turning the phone off and back on it went away. The tech also told me that they are working for RIM to get it resolved.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:00 PM   #6
wangta01

Yes, I was told the same thing - that they are having problems with some of the 7130es. Great, this is like the 7100t restarting fiasco all over again. Isn't Verizon known for testing their equipment thoroughly before releasing to the public? Good lord, they got the 71xx line a year and half after Tmobile and are still having problems. You'd think they would have used that problem to debug everything before hand?

And yes, I understand if Verizon is having problems with the EVDO, but i'm not even using the browser (which is still crawling by the way)! I just want to get email!!!!

Slap me if i'm being too harsh ;)
Old 12-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #7
GeekNJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo2883
I was told that its a known issue!!!! just got swap it for another unit if you are within your 15 day window. Tech support says they are having the issue with a small amount of the new 7130e. I had the "data connection refused" happne once and after turning the phone off and back on it went away. The tech also told me that they are working for RIM to get it resolved.
So the question is, is there anyone with a 7130e NOT seeing this problem? Of course if you aren't in an EVDO area you aren't going to see it, but for those of us that are, is anyone staying in the 1XEV without moving to 1X and even dropping to 1x before popping back to 1XEV?

Did anyone swap a 7130e and get a unit where it doesn't happen? I would think it's either the unit or the area, or a combination. I think based on how much we're seeing reported here, and granted only people with a problem are speaking up, that it's an issue with the phone and 1XEV. I know someone reported a different phone with EV capabilities and it stayed on EV while the 7130 didn't.

At this point I think it would be helpful if we heard of anyone in an EV area that ISN'T having a problem.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:22 PM   #8
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekNJ
So the question is, is there anyone with a 7130e NOT seeing this problem? Of course if you aren't in an EVDO area you aren't going to see it, but for those of us that are, is anyone staying in the 1XEV without moving to 1X and even dropping to 1x before popping back to 1XEV?

Did anyone swap a 7130e and get a unit where it doesn't happen? I would think it's either the unit or the area, or a combination. I think based on how much we're seeing reported here, and granted only people with a problem are speaking up, that it's an issue with the phone and 1XEV. I know someone reported a different phone with EV capabilities and it stayed on EV while the 7130 didn't.

At this point I think it would be helpful if we heard of anyone in an EV area that ISN'T having a problem.
I'm near Phila,Pa and have not noticed the DCR issue since Monday. When I first got my unit on 12/1, it was stuck in 1x for voice only. I spent 2 hours on the phone w/VZW data support. They found my account was not provisioned for EV. Not EV tethering, but EV for BB data. The 7130 is different than other BBs on VZW's network. Call data support if youare having DCR problems.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #9
gluck75

Carrier: t

Should I try to swap the unit???
Old 12-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #10
GeekNJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluck75
Should I try to swap the unit???
I think we need some info that would determine if the unit has anything to do with it. Before we all spend the time swapping units and the problem persisits, it would helpful to know if there's someone in the area that never had the issue, or had the issue, swapped a phone and now is working fine.

So I know this started in the NYC thread, but is anyone in NYC working properly? Especially if you had a prev phone with EV service or someone around you has one, are you in/out of EV the same as you used to be or the other phone is? Are you dropping to 1x now where you used to not drop below 1X?

To me dropping to 1x is the biggest issue.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:56 PM   #11
GeekNJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

I decided to call Verizon Wireless Data support while I was responding to the dozens of emails received today.

The woman was extremely nice and listened as I explained what was happening. I even mentioned this forum and it seems to be more widespread then just me. She put me on hold and came back a couple mins later to tell me she spoke with someone else and they didn't say it was a known issue, but that it is a new phone and that they were going to further investigate this to see if there's any additional info and she would call me back.

Doesn't sound hopeful and doesn't sound like it's a "known issue" at least to everyone that is supporting the device. I specifically asked if this was a known problem and she said she was unaware of any issues related to this phone.

So... maybe if others have the issue, they too can call in. Typically, if people don't call, they can't determine if there is an issue and how much it is effecting their customer base. So if you are seeing issues, I'd suggest you call support - (866) 788-9387 - and see what they have to say. They answered right away for me and it took no more then then 10 mins from start to finish.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:14 PM   #12
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Alltel

I live and work in Rhode Island, which is in the Boston market. I have 1XEV pretty much all the time. I notice it goes to 1X on occasion, but I figure that is where the EV-DO coverage pops out. In about a week, I have seen one DCR and a power cycle fixed it. I'm not so worried about that because even on my 7250 for the past year or so, I would get the occasional DCR.

So far, I can't complain. Maybe I was lucky enough to get a good 7130e. Maybe it is problem linked to the geographical market?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:25 PM   #13
rinconmike

Model: 8703

I do not think it is the device. I went through 3. The first 2 gad dust under the screen so I returned the; however, I play with all three and they all had the DCR. This issue did stop for me after doing the *22899.

I did get the DNC once today driving through the boonies in PA. It was in the Doylestown area. I think it has something to do with specific towers. Back in Rockland NY and NYC, I have not had the issue for a week now.

Mike
Old 12-07-2005, 07:32 PM   #14
whsbuss

On the 7250 EVDO thread, they also have been in-out of EVDO coverage at times. Its definately the network and not the device. Getting constant DCR is another issue.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:53 AM   #15
ceebz

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F2E165

7130e here in Denver. I sit on 1XEV practically all of the time.

EVDO is blazing fast...

Old 12-08-2005, 01:56 AM   #16
wangta01

Blazing fast? How long does it take you to fully load Cnn.com?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:08 AM   #17
avironeur

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I can't decide whether to keep the 87000c or the 7130e since price wise and coverage-wise the service-wise they are similar. The Verizon phones can get service in the DC Metro which would help my commute but one cannot switch phones from a berry to something else. Sucks.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:32 AM   #18
ceebz

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F2E165

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangta01
Blazing fast? How long does it take you to fully load Cnn.com?
31 seconds with Javascript turned off.

1:10 with Java enabled.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:32 AM   #19
calicojack

Model: 7130e
Talking

damn 31 seconds? seems slow to me . . . 1xev in raleigh NC seems to be moneeeeeey
Old 12-08-2005, 05:05 AM   #20
MooseBerry

Model: 9930
PIN: Up :)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekNJ
I think we need some info that would determine if the unit has anything to do with it. Before we all spend the time swapping units and the problem persisits, it would helpful to know if there's someone in the area that never had the issue, or had the issue, swapped a phone and now is working fine.

So I know this started in the NYC thread, but is anyone in NYC working properly? Especially if you had a prev phone with EV service or someone around you has one, are you in/out of EV the same as you used to be or the other phone is? Are you dropping to 1x now where you used to not drop below 1X?

To me dropping to 1x is the biggest issue.
I live in Rockland County (NY) and my 7130 constantly drops out of EV and then returns. I also have an E815 and that stays in EV all the time. Side be side, the 7130 fluctuates while the 815 remains in EV. I called data support tonight regarding this, got to level two, and they asked me to drive around for a couple of days and check it in different areas and then report back to level 3 with my results...isn't that their job? What sucks is I also got the 8700 a couple of days before, it's always 5 bars in EDGE, but, no software I loaded in it works (IM+, BB Mess, etc) and it has the dust problem. I should probably just stick with my 7100i. Works great, works in some places my VZW doesn't (Poconos) and all the software works as well. I just really wanted to tether to my laptop and drop my aircard service.