hnsimpson
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it
Carrier: Verizon
Default Treo 700??

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone tried the Treo 700 out?

I had a 650 for 5 days, until it crapped out...just wondering if anyone here has heard any feedback.

Thanks

hnsimpson
Old 01-30-2006, 04:08 AM   #2
abstractrude
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7550

dude its windows. it sucks. used the demo, its kinda liek the ipaq
Old 01-30-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
tregrad
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel

Is the 700 the Nextel version of the Treo? if so Im buying one. I have heard that they rule and if they have the same email push and everything a BB offers but instead of lame applications that you have to pay for it comes with full blown versions of, word, excell, etc.
We all hate windows just because they own it all, but they are still better than anything Rim has on their phones as far as applications. I dont know about the feel of them too much, held a couple seen a few in passing and have never heard any bad input, until now. But, if I buy one it will probably crap out.....Murpheys Law lol.
I bought a $41,000 F-350 last year and it crapped out on me and Im turning it in on the lemon law so things do happen

Last edited by tregrad; 01-30-2006 at 08:42 AM..
Old 01-30-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by tregrad
Is the 700 the Nextel version of the Treo?
What planet have you been living on cupcake?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=2180
Old 01-30-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
tregrad

the planet where they work WAY too much. I knoew they were making one I just didnt know the # that site dosent say anything about Nextel direct conect. do you have one or know someone who dies and if so how do they like it?
Old 01-30-2006, 10:30 PM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
the planet where they work WAY too much. I knoew they were making one I just didnt know the # that site dosent say anything about Nextel direct conect. do you have one or know someone who dies and if so how do they like it?
I don't know anyone with one, so I can't tell you about it. I will say though that you will likely never see a Treo on the Sprint iDen network. The closest you will come is the i930 and BlackBerry. I highly recommend you stick with your 7520, as it is a rock solid device.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:33 PM   #7
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Um, no, tregrad. The Treo 700W is the brand new Windows Mobile based Treo. It is available in the US exclusively at Verizon. I had a BlackBerry 7100i with Nextel, switched to Verizon and tried a Treo 700W. Will be switching back to a BB tomorrow. The 700W is an awesome device. My wife loves hers. My goal was to trim down to one device, but it's a little low on memory for me to be able to replace my dedicated PDA with it, so the BB is a little better fit for me.

Quote:
Is the 700 the Nextel version of the Treo? if so Im buying one. I have heard that they rule and if they have the same email push and everything a BB offers but instead of lame applications that you have to pay for it comes with full blown versions of, word, excell, etc.
We all hate windows just because they own it all, but they are still better than anything Rim has on their phones as far as applications. I dont know about the feel of them too much, held a couple seen a few in passing and have never heard any bad input, until now. But, if I buy one it will probably crap out.....Murpheys Law lol.
I bought a $41,000 F-350 last year and it crapped out on me and Im turning it in on the lemon law so things do happen
Old 01-30-2006, 10:49 PM   #8
neile457
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

You could always use a memory card, right? Also, doesn't a BB have less memory. By the way, I saw on Buy.com, they have the 700 for less than $100 after rebates
Old 01-31-2006, 10:18 AM   #9
word2218
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: up
Carrier: T-Mob

Quote:
Originally Posted by neile457
You could always use a memory card, right? Also, doesn't a BB have less memory. By the way, I saw on Buy.com, they have the 700 for less than $100 after rebates
the way windows uses the memory is more of the problem. it constantly has low memory error issues, at least the one that I tried for a week.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:11 PM   #10
RonN

Model: 7130e

I will begin testing the Treo 700w with XtndConnect later this week. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #11
Dewars
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I tried the 700w for a month. It was a horrible experince. If your expecting to use it to get your mail, forget it. It was easier to just wait until I got home or back to work to read it. I'm back to my 7130e with the MacBerry theme.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:42 AM   #12
tregrad

Sounds like I should just get a laptop and and sync up with the desktop manager......and uh get my mail that way?? I dont know and Im far too tired to tell. gnite
Old 02-14-2006, 01:44 PM   #13
MarkF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: ATT

I haven't been able to charge the 700w through the USB port, is that not possible? Can't see anything in the manual about this.

tks
Mark
Old 02-14-2006, 04:11 PM   #14
rjharary

Model: Droid
Carrier: Bell South

how do you like it?
Old 02-15-2006, 09:29 AM   #15
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Is your charger plugged into the USB cable? The Treo 700w doesn't charge directly through USB, but you can plug the charger into the USB cable and it will charge that way. There's a pass-through in the USB cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF
I haven't been able to charge the 700w through the USB port, is that not possible? Can't see anything in the manual about this.

tks
Mark
Old 02-15-2006, 02:26 PM   #16
hposadas
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF

tks
Mark

There's a special sync/charge USB Cable that you can buy that will charge the Treo through a USB port. Otherwise, if you are using the included USB cable, you will need to plug in the power adapter to the end that plugs into the Treo.

sync/charge USB Cable

H
Old 02-15-2006, 03:20 PM   #17
MarkF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: ATT

Thanks to both of you, just got a reply from the Verizon rep stating the same thing. That special sync/charge cradle is $50.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:59 AM   #18
ladyhollman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g

I have one, a gift from my father the trinket man, the 700W. He has one and has insited the family has one too. So....I smiled and said thank you.

Anyway, this is coming from a person who generally uses Macs, Palm OS devices, and a BB, so I'm trying to keep an open mind now that I've been pretty spoiled.

Dislikes:

The email is um well, a pain. A pure pain for a BB affectionado. Hopefully BB Connect will show its face soon because I can not take it any longer.

One has to use the stylus for certain things. I absentmindedly keep trying to thumb roll the side. LOL!

WinCE or whatever its called now, sometimes irritates the crap out of me. The sub-par memory management was expected. A few times, I had to pop the battery 'cause there was some freeze when I opened lots of stuff at the same time. Palm OS it is definitely not.

The battery does not last anywhere near that of a regular Palm device for some odd reason. Maybe I got a bad one?

Uh, IE doesn't seem wap enabled so pages go off the screen. Irritating! I fixed that by using the Opera (beta) browser...much nicer now. That was an OTA load, btw, from a linked site (not the Opera site which will drive you insane using that mini IE)

It seems like you can't really turn the device off.

I can't figure out how to filter spam. I see no option to do so.

I see no way to filter unwanted Text messages either. A real problem if you get a "recycled" phone number as Text messages generally cost per message if not on the plan.

I wouldn't use it for serious business, at the moment.

It has a nice interface for a WinCE device. Its cool looking. Really it is.

If you want to call someone, simply start typing and the name lookup pops onto the screen for your choice of number to call.

There's a nice "okay" button to close an open app.(I used to have an iPaq phone with no nice button such as this)

Its not very big at all. Similar in size to my 7105.

The green phone button has a list of recent callees which comes up like the start menu. If you have more than one number for a name, it displays an arrow for you to chose which number to call.

Turning on the voice option causes the phone to "speak" who is calling and whether its from their home, work, or mobile phone. It has gotten the hard to pronounce names correct, to include my first name. There is also a way to use the voice command to open and close apps.

It has an expansion card slot, like all other Palm devices.

If you are one of the folks complaining about taking pics wth our phone, then I guess you'll be happy.

There's a really nice add-on game (its on the CD) that's highly addictive in case you get bored. Battery drainer, so watch out.

The broadband is quite fast.

If you click on a PDF (web page link) it downloads the PDF for viewing. (A downside is the PDF viewer app is a serious memory hog)

I played that game a lot. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Last edited by ladyhollman; 02-18-2006 at 06:17 AM..
Old 02-18-2006, 09:20 AM   #19
zx6racer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
PIN: 330E7451
Carrier: Verizon AT&T

They do have an overclocking program for windows base phones. I works good I did my Nextel I930 from 185mhz to 200mhz. 245mhz was the most you can go with out a melt down. I also drans the batt a little faster but everything runs a lot faster now.
There is also one for the batt and mem to get the most out of them.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:24 AM   #20
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Don't expect BB Connect to be made available for the 700w. Microsoft has jumped feet first into the push e-mail pool and I can't possibly imagine they'll allow BB Connect to make it onto Windows devices in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhollman
The email is um well, a pain. A pure pain for a BB affectionado. Hopefully BB Connect will show its face soon because I can not take it any longer.