eGGz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question Free PIM(?) software for syncing 7290

Please Login to Remove!

FP

Hello,

I'm new to the forums, became one with the CrackBerry Collective/jumped on the bandwagon almost two weeks ago (3/20/2006) today.

I've been reading/lurking primarily this forum because of the posts made by Mark Rejhon, jibi, Guess, and sempai are of such good quality and helpfulness that I haven't bothered to look into other forums that friends of mine have suggested. I first started off with the Cingular forums but was fed-up with some of the stupidty of the posts. I've yet to try PDA Street and Howard Forums.

ANYWAY
======

I have a refurb (looks new to me!) Cingular 7290 that I ordered directly through them, I first straightened out what I perceived would be an obvious headache which is getting setup appropriately so that I am not charged Pay Per Use fees for accessing the Internet/Email. They forgot to add the Unlimited data plan at first, uhg, then I had them add the free WAP access so I could start testing out 3rd party chat apps like IM+ etc.

I installed the BB CD as well as downloaded/installed the newer version of the Desktop Manager software 4.1.0.8 (can't remember what was on the CD.)

I've yet to find how to edit/add contacts on the computer and then sync to the BB. I asked someone and they told me they use the Desktop Manager and it has some Outlook type of program that let's you edit etc. I've not found this yet. I'm not very familiar with Hot/Active/Intelli/Sync type of tools but I have worked with other people's Palm Desktop software that does let you manage pretty much every aspect of your data, it also includes a seperate external program to load applications with, akin to Application Loader.

So do I need to buy something like a PIM program? I really do not want to. Also I have Oulook 2003 and Outlook Express (don't use it) but it is strictly for work and I my BB is for personal use (for now.) I primarily use open source/free software for personal use such as Mozilla Thunderbird and Eudora.

I've been testing 4 different multi-protocol chat programs for BB and will be posting my results in a seperate thread as soon as I'm finished.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1 Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Hi and welcome to BBForums. Unfortunately, the person who told you they use the Desktop Manager and it has some Outlook type of program that let's you edit etc. was either mistaken or they misunderstood what you want to do. Desktop Manager contains Intellisync, which allows you to sync with an existing Personal Information Manager like Outlook, Lotus Notes, Act, and a few others.

There is no way to use Desktop Manager to enter or edit contacts, calendar, notes and tasks. You will need to use another program to do that.

Most people use Outlook - I understand your Outlook is for work. Perhaps you can run Outlook with another profile and keep the data separate.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
eGGz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: T-Mobile
Lightbulb Is using the listed PIMs my only solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Hi and welcome to BBForums. Unfortunately, the person who told you they use the Desktop Manager and it has some Outlook type of program that let's you edit etc. was either mistaken or they misunderstood what you want to do. Desktop Manager contains Intellisync, which allows you to sync with an existing Personal Information Manager like Outlook, Lotus Notes, Act, and a few others.

There is no way to use Desktop Manager to enter or edit contacts, calendar, notes and tasks. You will need to use another program to do that.
This makes sense, thank you for clarifying that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Most people use Outlook - I understand your Outlook is for work. Perhaps you can run Outlook with another profile and keep the data separate.
That my friend is an EXCELLENT idea except that I forgot to mention the fact that I hate MS (well not really, they're my how I make my living) but I am not very partial to Outlook.

What is this ASCII Importer/Exporter? It looks promising... Or I may install Netscape (really wish it would just work with Thunderbird.)

I will try this new profile idea if I can't find an alternative, thank you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1 Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

The Ascii importer/exporter can be used if you have an existing program that can export to a text file, and then you use Intellisync to import it. It's pretty nasty.
Closed Thread