Old 06-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #81
strais

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Mtel

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
You have to have a BlackBerry data plan to use the internet. Even over WiFi. Using services over WiFi won't count against your data allotment (if you don't have an unlimited plan) but you still need the data plan on your account to connect with the BlackBerry infrastructure.

A generic data plan will allow simple web browsing through a third-party browser like Opera Mini, but you won't be able to download a single kb of data. No maps for GPS. No email, BB Messenger, etc.
mhm yeah i know, but i don't want to download anything, just for browsing.. BUT when i'm connected with the i-net with only wifi, i can't browse in the Opera.. just sitting and sitting.. and when i'm connected with my mobile operator (just connected) it charges me $.. why? is it always MUST BE "it's all about the money (not the free i-net)"?? cus i just want to use sometimes my wifi at home to check some reading pages.. if it's like that, i'll throw my BB out the window.. and why the BB have the wifi which is not operateable ??
Old 06-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #82
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Perhaps you should have done some research BEFORE you bought the phone.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #83
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

When you use WiFi for data, that data does not count against your monthly usage limit, but you need the BlackBerry data plan to connect to the RIM infrastructure. And those pay-per-kb charges for data will eat you alive.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #84
strais

Quote:
When you use WiFi for data, that data does not count against your monthly usage limit, but you need the BlackBerry data plan to connect to the RIM infrastructure. And those pay-per-kb charges for data will eat you alive.
mhm yeah, i saw that.. i could connect through the wifi, but first i need to "turn off" my mobile operator and then i can use the "free" net to browse through the Bolt.. but of'course i can't download stuff from anywhere.. eh. that's deal for me, i don't want to use some "apps" for my "gadget" i just like the BB model and the qwerty's....... i have 3 mobile sim cards and i don't want to pay 100$ for bills..
one more question, can i watch some youtube through some other browser or i can't, cus the Bolt can't connect and just telling me "connecting............." ?
and thanks Rambo, be well!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #85
strais

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLady View Post
Perhaps you should have done some research BEFORE you bought the phone.
How much did it costs it your BB honey??
Mine is new one for 80$... and don't tell me what i should do or not... cus you're not in Bulgaria... kapish?
Old 06-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #86
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by strais View Post
How much did it costs it your BB honey??
Mine is new one for 80$... and don't tell me what i should do or not... cus you're not in Bulgaria... kapish?
No matter where you are, research before spending money is always a good idea.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #87
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

strais - in case there is some language or other "honey" issue here - NOTHING IS FREE. Not the "free i-net" or anything else.
You want to use your new toy/gadget/thingy, you have to pay for a BlackBerry Data Plan.

Got it, buddy?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #88
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Is "kapish" Bulgarian for "capice"?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #89
oioioi99

Model: 8820
Carrier: ASDA

Quote:
Is "kapish" Bulgarian for "capice"?
LOL...

Actually, there are some misunderstandings in this thread about what can and cannot be done without a data plan. It is perfectly possible to download things using a third party browser without a plan. Things such as Google Maps works just as well without a plan as they do with a plan (and, contrary to some myths out there, Google Maps can be downloaded and installed straight from a third party browser).

If such things don't work on a BB without plan, it's either due to some limitations imposed by the provider or--more likely--the internal BB settings.

I'm without a plan since my apps requirements are rather modest, and I'm very happy with my setup. All I need is to have completely seamless access to my work email and calendar, and that's easy to obtain without a plan by means of a few Google Apps and a little bit of tweaking in Gmail and Outlook (this requires that work mail and calendar is on an exchange server so it can be automatically cloned to gmail...). I currently send and receive all my work emails using the Google Mail App, and the recipients/senders won't even know that it all happens via Gmail. Obviously, my modest goals could have been reached with almost any phone out there, but I chose a BB for the overall quality and, in particular, the nice keyboard (not a huge fan of touchscreens...).

I would also like to find a solution for online synchronization of my Outlook Tasks and Notes, but I think this would require me to be on a BES plan. Currently, I have to do this via USB, which is rather lame...

It seems as if more and more third party apps are moving to "App World only", which obviously is poor business practice, since there is a significant number of non-plan users out there. Why would third party companies deliberately limit their market potential to promote RIM service plans? I understand the advantages of distributing apps through App World, but why would these companies chose to not offer alternative download options? Is it a question of RIM putting pressure on companies to "exclusive rights" to the apps on App World à la Apple? Or is it just that third party companies don't have much confidence in us "low-life skeezers" to pay for any sort of services anyway, and we're not worth the bandwidth?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:45 AM   #90
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Which browsers can download without having a BlackBerry Data Plan?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #91
oioioi99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Which browsers can download without having a BlackBerry Data Plan?
I'm happily downloading on my BB using RIM's own "Browser", which contrary to widespread beliefs works perfectly fine without a data plan.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #92
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

So let everyone without a data plan in our your secret.

How are you using the RIM Browser without a data plan?
Old 06-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #93
oioioi99

Quote:
So let everyone without a data plan in our your secret.

How are you using the RIM Browser without a data plan?

I wish I could [let people in on some sort of secret]. The browser was on my BB when I got it, and it has always worked just fine. I'm no BB expert, and if something works I have little reason (and little interest) in trying to figure out why it works.

A friend of mine use a Storm without data plan, and as far as I know he has no problems using the BB browser either. We're both in the UK (and both on Vodafone [I'm on ASDA payg which uses the Vodafone network]), and perhaps that has something to do with it...

What are your own experiences using a BB without a data plan? I'm asking because you seem to know a lot about what can and cannot be done without a data plan. Is your knowledge based on your own experiences or simply what others have told you?
Old 06-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #94
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Fine. You got it with Service Books already on it. If the service books are there, it will be fine. If you ever have to wipe it out, the service books will not be there.

People who get new BlackBerrys, or BBs that have been wiped out, will not get the BB Browser without Service Books.

Without a BlackBerry Data Plan, 99% of the people - those who didn't get a BB with Service Books already on it - will not be able to use the BlackBerry Browser and download.

Last edited by NJBlackBerry; 06-20-2010 at 05:45 PM..
Old 06-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #95
oioioi99

Quote:
Fine. You got it with Service Books already on it. If the service books are there, it will be fine. If you ever have to wipe it out, the service books will not be there.

People who get new BlackBerrys, or BBs that have been wiped out, will not get the BB Browser without Service Books.

Without a BlackBerry Data Plan, 99% of the people - those who didn't get a BB with Service Books already on it - will not be able to use the BlackBerry Browser and download.
I see. Many thanks for explaining my particular situation. Probably also explains why I had no difficulties downloading and installing Google Maps. Would I be able to keep my service books if I make a backup of the BB now with the Desktop program?

I think my BB was previously on BES plan.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #96
dineo

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Question... I have a partial data plan (unlimited email and BBM) and i downloaded Blackberry app world via the computer and loaded it on to my Bold 9700. Then I turned on my Wi-Fi and went to AppWorld and downlodaded 2 free apps. I was under the impression that I would not incur any costs since it was solely using the Wi-Fi connection to download the free app. However, when I turned off Wi-Fi I was still able to access App World. Am I going to pay huge costs (I have Bell Mobility) because of these downloads? I didn't know....
Old 08-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #97
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Probably so.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #98
ykci

Model: 8300
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
You have to have a BlackBerry data plan to use the internet. Even over WiFi. Using services over WiFi won't count against your data allotment (if you don't have an unlimited plan) but you still need the data plan on your account to connect with the BlackBerry infrastructure.

A generic data plan will allow simple web browsing through a third-party browser like Opera Mini, but you won't be able to download a single kb of data. No maps for GPS. No email, BB Messenger, etc.
Sorry, but that is not true, I am able to use WiFi and I dont have a data plan.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #99
ykci

Model: 8300
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by oioioi99 View Post
I wish I could [let people in on some sort of secret]. The browser was on my BB when I got it, and it has always worked just fine. I'm no BB expert, and if something works I have little reason (and little interest) in trying to figure out why it works.

A friend of mine use a Storm without data plan, and as far as I know he has no problems using the BB browser either. We're both in the UK (and both on Vodafone [I'm on ASDA payg which uses the Vodafone network]), and perhaps that has something to do with it...

What are your own experiences using a BB without a data plan? I'm asking because you seem to know a lot about what can and cannot be done without a data plan. Is your knowledge based on your own experiences or simply what others have told you?
It does work for mr too, and I dont have a Data plan, not sure why...
Old 08-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #100
xxcarlosxx

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

i have no data plan but got my browser to work, just go to

Options>advanced options>browser>
Change Default Browser configuration to: Hotspot browser/Wifi browser

Then go to the browser menu>options>general properties
change Default Browser to: Hotspot browser/Wifi browser

Hope this works cuz it did for me! XD
Closed Thread