BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 07-10-2006, 03:52 PM   #281
cicero
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

Please Login to Remove!

.....Time for a newbie to chime in with a stupid question

Using this method I could still use the internet on my BB7290....presumably with NO problems....and not pay the extra $20 a month for BES...not to mention the $15 I pay for unlimited text, pix messages etc...(T-Mobile). How does this affect SMS? Just set it to use GPRS for sending messages?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #282
cschreiner

Model: 9000
Carrier: att
Default 8700c finally connected

I called BB Data services at 18003043044 or 18003310500 option#1
Amazingly the woman helping actually had a BB! She lowered my bill by $20 since I was not intending to use enterprise connection and added my wap.cingular.com connection...checked the connection and it worked.

So...finally, connection as it should have been (and as it should have been sold to begin with) and less cash.

These forums help...thanks.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #283
cicero

It would appear as though I got some bad information here. I went ahead and removed the $20 BB data plan from my account (T-Mobile) thinking that plugging in "wap.voicestream.com" as my APN would still allow me net access (email as well etc). Well, upon doing so I get the dreaded "data connection refused" message at the top of my screen. All email accounts have now disappeared. Not a major deal since I didn't have anything sitting in my inbox I really needed. It's all still on the server anyway. So onto my questions:

What did I do wrong here? A few of you stated that you removed this option and are still able to access the net and email. Perhaps I misunderstood what everyone is saying here. I can add this option again, the extra $20 won't kill me.

Secondly, should I add the BB data plan option back and switch SMS to use GPRS instead of GSM...can I do away with the unlimited text, pix messaging option on my account? I'm hesistant to do so since I use sms quite a bit. Ultimately I want to have my yahoo mail sent to my handheld, and net access. Will the $5.99 T-Mo internet plan suffice? I don't need to sync with an exchange server...if that matters any. Go easy, I'm still new to all this stuff. Thanks for any and all help.

***EDIT***

What is that $20 option called anyway? Is that BIS or BES? On the T-mo site it's just called "BlackBerry Unlimited Add-on". After a bunch of reading, I still don't get what either is or the differences between the two.

Thanks again.

Last edited by cicero; 07-13-2006 at 11:10 AM..
Old 07-13-2006, 02:12 PM   #284
cicero

I just read through this entire thread...again...

Can anyone confirm this one thing:

Do you NEED the "Unlimited BB add-on option" (T-Mo USA, it costs $20 a mo.) to do the stuff outlined in this thread? If so I seriously misunderstood. I thought this was a workaround to have net access without paying for this.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:01 PM   #285
afig0101

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Hi,

Try using AT&T information on your Cingular. ("proxy" and "internet"). Some people reported this works.

Cingualr is frustrating to deal with. T-Mobile is a lot easier to deal with.
Try Options/Advance Options, Browser and in Default browser config select Internet Browser. I am with Cingular, tried this and worked!
Old 07-17-2006, 03:33 AM   #286
gbajosh

Model: 7250

Please help,

I can not find the tcp option on my 7250

i am running 4
Old 07-17-2006, 08:13 AM   #287
cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero
It would appear as though I got some bad information here. I went ahead and removed the $20 BB data plan from my account (T-Mobile) thinking that plugging in "wap.voicestream.com" as my APN would still allow me net access (email as well etc). Well, upon doing so I get the dreaded "data connection refused" message at the top of my screen. All email accounts have now disappeared. Not a major deal since I didn't have anything sitting in my inbox I really needed. It's all still on the server anyway. So onto my questions:

What did I do wrong here? A few of you stated that you removed this option and are still able to access the net and email. Perhaps I misunderstood what everyone is saying here. I can add this option again, the extra $20 won't kill me.

Secondly, should I add the BB data plan option back and switch SMS to use GPRS instead of GSM...can I do away with the unlimited text, pix messaging option on my account? I'm hesistant to do so since I use sms quite a bit. Ultimately I want to have my yahoo mail sent to my handheld, and net access. Will the $5.99 T-Mo internet plan suffice? I don't need to sync with an exchange server...if that matters any. Go easy, I'm still new to all this stuff. Thanks for any and all help.

***EDIT***

What is that $20 option called anyway? Is that BIS or BES? On the T-mo site it's just called "BlackBerry Unlimited Add-on". After a bunch of reading, I still don't get what either is or the differences between the two.

Thanks again.
Figured it out. In case anyone cares, the $20 option is not BES, the $29.99 option is. BES (to my understanding) is overkill for the average person. The above thread shows you how to use certain apps that would normally require BES, without subscribing to it. I misunderstood, and thought this thread would show me how to get internet access, email and such without subscribing the the $20 T-Mo BB plan. Needless to say, that didn't work. All is better now.

Yes, I do feel quite stupid.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:42 AM   #288
phyburn

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular
Default Apn Info For Cingular

For every oen having trouble with Tunneling errors and have cingular do these folowing steps.

First Call cingular.

Then

add the following APN address in.

wap.cingular
[email address]
CINGULAR1
Old 07-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #289
awdawg

Model: 7250
Carrier: US Cellular

anyone ever figure out a way to get free web access through US Cellular? I'm lost here, and I asked if one of the cheaper third party ISP's would work and someone told me no because they have encryption and what not... sounds kwirky to me but if anyone can help please email me [email address] thank ya much!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:52 PM   #290
snowmangoh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 22CF79CB
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyburn
For every oen having trouble with Tunneling errors and have cingular do these folowing steps.

First Call cingular.

Then

add the following APN address in.

wap.cingular
[email address]
CINGULAR1
Ummm... why call Cingular, will doing it without them jack me up? I did the APN thing and then VeriChat worked fine (course Yahoo's own messenger still won't work). Do I need to undo what i did, call, and then redo to avoid conflict or am i fine as i am?
Old 07-26-2006, 06:11 AM   #291
kanwalgee

Carrier: Tcs and Dhl
Question

i am in pakistan and i don,t have gprs in my blackberry,my network provider can,t provide gprs setting for blackberry but provide gprs for all other mobile sets like nokia samsung. how i activate gprs and wap browesing at my BlackBerry7290 v4.1.0.309
(plateform 1.8.0.146)
Thanks in advance
Old 07-27-2006, 10:57 AM   #292
DceFrance

Model: 8700f
Carrier: Orange
Default Orange France

I realise this may very well be unlikely... but...

Does anyone know the configuration necessary for Orange France?

I have an 8700f.

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:52 PM   #293
aa5093

tried the workaround for cingular last night because i couldn't get the bbtoday weather display to work, and after following the instructions, everything is now working!!! i already had the bb unlimited data plan, so doing this won't incur any extra charges,will it????? i am a new user of blackberry, so please go easy on me, and thanks for a great forum!! now with my unlimited data plan, i don't have bes, right?????
Old 08-01-2006, 02:17 AM   #294
timmymac123

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Cool Idiots at Cingular?!!

Can someone PLEASE tell me EXACTLY what I have to tell the stupid person on the other end of the phone at cingular to get WAP function for things like Opera?

Everytime I call, they say the *best* they can do is add a plan in addition to what I have that is a per use charge. Last time I saw this, it was like a $70 charge in addition to the BB UNL plan.

here is plan I have:
BB UNL Add On 07/21-08/20 44.99 44.99
BB UNL Retail 07/21-08/20 0.00 0.00
Includes:
Blackberry
GPRS

Multimedia-PayPerMsg 07/21-08/20 0.00 0.00

Text Msg Pay Per Use 07/21-08/20 0.00 0.00
Includes:
Int'l Text Incoming
Text/Instant Msgs

Any help with choosing the right words for the idiots on the other end of the phone would be helpful.

thanks
Old 08-01-2006, 02:59 AM   #295
nolipineda

Model: 8700g
Carrier: SMART

Anybody tried using your BB device as an internet gateway for your laptop? PC or Mac? I have tested using Nokia N70 as a internet gateway/modem and gives me a bandwidth of up to 400Kbps via GPRS or EDGE (way better than dial-up). I was wondering if anybody tried it using BB and if this is possible.

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:48 AM   #296
ONE2MANY

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

I am new to this BB thing and I need help I have the service with T-mobile and they cant seem to help me. Now I bought this BB 723O from a friend and the image was wipe cause he used for a corporate acct. I have email and SMS and all that gooding stuff .but i dont have a internet brower and tmobile cant do nothing for me . I dont have and IT policy seems the seller can get for me due to Company Policies. can some one help me thanks
Old 08-03-2006, 06:36 PM   #297
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pager_guy
hi everyone!

I have a bell mobility 7250 software 4.0.0.204 and i have an unlimited BB data plan. i can get WAP sites via the secure WAP browser and via the regular Internet browser i can get http requests filled.

the IM+ clients (both WAP and BES versions) just don't want to communicate at all nor does the auto-config work worth beans.

any ideas Mark????

anybody?????

***********UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE***********

i figured out Bell Mobility's settings by "hacking" together some settings off the main list of providers, and VOILA!! it works now in WAP version.

WAP Gateway: 207.236.197.199
WAP Gateway Port: 9203
WAP APN: internet.com <---- apparently this _IS_ now required and cannot be blank!

once i typed this in and clicked "trial" my services popped up after a short delay!!

YIPPEE!!!

PIN: 300b66c1
Yeah, where did you input this?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:16 AM   #298
twstd4lfe

Model: 7130c

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmangoh
Ummm... why call Cingular, will doing it without them jack me up? I did the APN thing and then VeriChat worked fine (course Yahoo's own messenger still won't work). Do I need to undo what i did, call, and then redo to avoid conflict or am i fine as i am?
call to verify that it is configured properly on cingulars end
Old 08-08-2006, 06:39 PM   #299
jbphila

Model: 7280
Default can't get ippp service books

this isnt working for me

Last edited by jbphila; 08-08-2006 at 06:42 PM..
Old 08-15-2006, 10:17 AM   #300
cleefy

Model: 7230

could anyone post the wap settings for an optus australia bb?... thanks if you can