Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #41
jhewes

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default GSM Tour

Please Login to Remove!

So when Verizon sends you the unlock code, does that unlock the phone for worldwide GSM use forever, on any GSM network?

Here in Ecuador we have three GSM phone carriers. If you buy a phone from one of the carriers it is locked to their service. But you can buy an unlocked phone from many stores. The best are the "world phones" that are quad-band GSM.

You can buy a SIM chip for any carrier here for about $5, then buy a prepaid phone card, scratch off the code, and away you go with $3, $6, or $10 worth of time on that carrier.

So in theory, if the Tour is unlocked by Verizon, I could bring it here to Ecuador, buy a chip and a prepaid card, and away I go, right?
Old 08-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #42
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhewes View Post
So when Verizon sends you the unlock code, does that unlock the phone for worldwide GSM use forever, on any GSM network?

So in theory, if the Tour is unlocked by Verizon, I could bring it here to Ecuador, buy a chip and a prepaid card, and away I go, right?
The "unlock" will unlock the device for all SIM cards. Which support any GSM network.

Remember - GSM service is dependent on the SIM *CARD*, not the device (unless the device is locked to a specific service's SIM cards).

The unlock procedure removes the lock from the device forever.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #43
knhellesky
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: None
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMondragon View Post
I was on the phone today with BB techs going over this issue. Plus, I had a lot of active SIM cards at my disposal from other work BB phones. Through trial & error testing and the info from BB, it appears to be correct with the Tour phones.

I tried 6 x 32kb cards, 8 x 64kb cards, and 5 x 128kb cards. None of the 32kb or 64kb SIM cards worked in the Tour, but worked in a 8800, 8300, 8100, and 8900. All 5 of the 128kb SIM cards worked in the Tour, along with the other phones.

It took awhile to test all of this (through my own trial & error testing), but the results speak for themself.
Finally got the Tour. checked to see if it was Unlocked...mine says "disabled", which means its UNLOCKED.

I put in my T-Mobile SIM and I was texting and calling from my T-Mobile number.

Note: I noticed that my signal was switching from T-Mobile and AT&T dependning on my location.

Also, my Sprint number still shows up as "My Number" even though I was using my T-Mobile SIM.

I don't know what size SIM I have so I can't confirm the 128K requirement for it to work.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #44
viper2051

Ok I am new to this and a little confused. If I call and get the phone unlocked will it work on GSM here in the us or do I have to have an AT&T sim(or similar?)?

Verizon claims that it has a verizon sim in it. will this only work abroad?

Just call me confused!

Last edited by viper2051; 08-03-2009 at 08:54 PM..
Old 08-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #45
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Welcome to the forums.

If the device is unlocked, you can use a SIM card from AT&T, T-Mobile, any GSM carrier in North America, as well as internationally.

Verizon doesn't use SIM cards as they use the CDMA technology. They will provide you with a SIM for international use, however, as I stated above, you can use any GSM SIM once the device is unlocked.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 08-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #46
ffejie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2051 View Post
Ok I am new to this and a little confused. If I call and get the phone unlocked will it work on GSM here in the us or do I have to have an AT&T sim(or similar?)?

Verizon claims that it has a verizon sim in it. will this only work abroad?

Just call me confused!
Yes, it does have a Verizon Wireless SIM in it. Verizon Wireless is co-owned by Verizon and Vodaphone. Vodaphone is a worldwide, mostly GSM based carrier. As a result, you can use this phone on Vodaphone's network pretty much anywhere.

Anyone who is talking about unlocking it is talking about replacing the Vodaphone SIM with a different carriers SIM. For instance, some people want to get cheaper rates globally, or use a GSM based carrier in the US (like AT&T/TMobile).
Old 08-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #47
skllndy365

PIN: 3229E14A

Why would you want to use the Tour on AT&T? Ya know, there's another beautiful BlackBerry that AT&T has...I believe its called the Bold? Hah.

FREE CASH at:
http://www.cashlagoon.com/?ref=19916
Old 08-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #48
viper2051

does anyone know the rates for /verizonvondaphone sim if i were to use it here in the us?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #49
ffejie

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by skllndy365 View Post
Why would you want to use the Tour on AT&T? Ya know, there's another beautiful BlackBerry that AT&T has...I believe its called the Bold? Hah.
I'm a special case, I want to stick on Verizon because the service is better in the area (NJ/NYC). However, where I work was built in the 60s and is all concrete and therefore has no cell reception. Except AT&T just put a femtocell in so there is limited AT&T coverage, but no Verizon.

Call me stubborn, but I'm not switching to AT&T, I'd rather hack a solution together to get data over my AT&T Data SIM Card. Yes, most of this is about proving that I can do it.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #50
viper2051

Ok up and working but on the GSM side of things I get an SOS next to the bars which tells me i can only make emergency calls. any suggestions?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #51
jpatterson350

Has anyone found the fix for the no channel circuit problem? I went to tmobile and tried a bunch of new sims and nada. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #52
clifford938

Model: 9700
PIN: 21607926
Carrier: ATT/Cingular

ok, I have the exact configuration listed here Verizon/ATT SIM

1) Do I need to have a BlackBerry Plan on my ATT SIM line too?
2) How can I tell if I am BIS through Verizon or ATT
I tried sending an email to my vzw.bb.net and it comes through
even though I was on GSM/ATT/2G setting at the time
Hopefully I am not going through some kind of International fee since
I was getting the mail while on EDGE/ATT and VZW has no GSM coverage

Since VZW is my Home carrier, I just want to use my ATT as a second number and don't want to have to pay BB service on both lines. This way my ATT only costs me $10 for a second number (family share plan)
Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #53
Daswooski

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Hey, Looks like you may know some answers for me?
I just unlocked the SIM slot on my Verizon 9630 and successfully made voice calls and sent a text message while on GSM.
But I cannot get e-mail to send or internet access while using the ATT SIM? Is this not possible? So, only voice and texting with the GSM carrier?
What if you have a BB data plan with both Verizon and AT&T, would it work then?
Even if not still cool to have two numbers on one phone.

I thougt if I did this I could recieve calls if someone dialed my verizon number or my AT&T number but it seems you have to either be on one or the other, not both.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #54
Daswooski

If you are using a verizon unlocked 9630 with AT&T... BUT are on a BES: BB Enterprise Server...does this mean I am out of luck for e-mail and internet unless I switch back to the 1xEV cdma setting? I ca make cals and do text on the ATT SIM but cannot sync mail or get to internet?
I do have a AT&T SIM card with Full Data plan but not a BB data plan. If I get my company to add the BB data plan to the ATT account would that work?
Old 10-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #55
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

You will need a BlackBerry Enterprise plan activated on your AT&T SIM Card.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 10-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #56
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daswooski View Post
If you are using a verizon unlocked 9630 with AT&T... BUT are on a BES: BB Enterprise Server...does this mean I am out of luck for e-mail and internet unless I switch back to the 1xEV cdma setting? I ca make cals and do text on the ATT SIM but cannot sync mail or get to internet?
I do have a AT&T SIM card with Full Data plan but not a BB data plan. If I get my company to add the BB data plan to the ATT account would that work?
My first question is, do you need a BES? If so, then jsconyers is correct. You need to call AT&T to provision your SIM for the Enterprise Plan. You don't need to change back to Verizon to get e-mail unless you have the Enterprise plan on your Verizon account. E-Mail is based off the PIN number of your BB, not your provider.

You NEED a BB Data Plan. A generic smartphone plan does not work because you need to activate your PIN through RIM's servers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #57
Daswooski

Thanks! I guess ideally I would like to use my AT&T Number when in Major Metro Areas and have the option of switching to Verizon when I am in more rural areas...but still get my data no matter what number I use. My company owns the servers, phone and AT&T SIM... so I guess my question is this:
If I already have the Verizon BB plan and have unlocked the phone and have a AT&T SIM....if I get them to add the BB plan to the AT&T Number so I can get data on it as well.....will this throw up a bunch of flags since I will have the same BB unit on two carrieres with the same BB PIN on one BES? Sorry for hte confusing question but you seem to know about this more than I......Thanks...
Old 11-03-2009, 12:01 AM   #58
blackberrylala

Model: Tour
Default Unlocked BB Tour Can't receive Data with At & T SIM

I have an unlocked Blackberry Tour from Sprint. My At & T sim works for the phone but I can't receive data. Is there some way to reconfigure and set this up so I can receive data on my BB through At & T?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #59
wmflyfisher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrylala View Post
I have an unlocked Blackberry Tour from Sprint. My At & T sim works for the phone but I can't receive data. Is there some way to reconfigure and set this up so I can receive data on my BB through At & T?
Bump for this question. Have tour unlocked with ATT SIM and everything works accept for data (internet). I can send and receive texts and emails but no globe icon. What settings do I need to change??
Old 11-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #60
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Follow the same instructions for the "Unlocked Storm on ATT and Tmobile" thread, found at the top of the 9500 section

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-t-mobile.html

Last edited by JSanders; 11-23-2009 at 06:45 PM..
Closed Thread