BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with Verizon's 3G service ?
Very satisfied 81 65.32%
Somewhat satisfied/indifferent 27 21.77%
Very dissatisfied 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob
Default how satisfied are you with Verizon's 3G service ?

Please Login to Remove!

not too crazy about going with Verizon, but I just might do it due to the 'overall' package when compared to the other carrier offerings....

overall, at the end of the day/week/month, what's your take with Verizon's 3G and the Storm ?

Last edited by zero7404; 02-16-2009 at 12:11 AM..
Old 02-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)

I think these polls are stupid - how can you "gauge" satisfaction with one carrier or another, when comparisons are NOT apples vs. apples?

Am I supposed to compare Verizon-Atlanta with Verizon-New York with AT&T-California? Or O2 in London? or T-Mobile (limited 2200Ghz 3G network) ?

By the way, people's satisfaction with Verizon *could* be greater than, say, their satisfaction with Sprint (8703e or 8830) because the Storm processor is so much faster. For example, my Storm mobile speed test failed because the browser+3G network was considered too fast...
Old 02-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
I think these polls are stupid - how can you "gauge" satisfaction with one carrier or another, when comparisons are NOT apples vs. apples?

Am I supposed to compare Verizon-Atlanta with Verizon-New York with AT&T-California? Or O2 in London? or T-Mobile (limited 2200Ghz 3G network) ?

By the way, people's satisfaction with Verizon *could* be greater than, say, their satisfaction with Sprint (8703e or 8830) because the Storm processor is so much faster. For example, my Storm mobile speed test failed because the browser+3G network was considered too fast...
+1
Old 02-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
zero7404

just a simple poll asking for opinions about ppl's 3G experience results in an earful, should i thank you ?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
zero7404

Quote:
I think these polls are stupid
if you think these polls are stupid, then don't bother posting in them.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
Dingleberry69

PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
if you think these polls are stupid, then don't bother posting in them.
Good point!

Whats his prob?
I like the polls, gives you a basic Idea!

Plus I can personally say that Verizon is better, because I have had all 3 carriers. Att suks
Old 02-17-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

Verizon 3G used to be good. Has gotten slow and spotty in San Diego over the last 12 months. Capacity?
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 02-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #8
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)

Quote:
just a simple poll asking for opinions about ppl's 3G experience results in an earful, should i thank you ?
To justify WHY this poll is "stupid" (and not relevant):

1. Verizon is terrific at my in-law's house in Albany, NY.
2. Verizon is terrific at my condo in Atlanta.
3. Verizon is crap at my house in suburban Atlanta (outer city limits).
4. Verizon is good in Rochester, NY.
5. Verizon is average in downtown Raleigh, NC.
6. Verizon is great at Emory University in Atlanta.

Oh, wait, but that is with my "3G-enabled" RAZR maxx VE.

How about with my Storm? Some situations are similar, but others are completely different. I have no idea why. But the same situation exists with T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint.

What defines "good 3G service" ? Fast speed ? (see my first response). Long battery life ? (YES, battery life *IS* related to strong tower signal strength) And how about the lack of voice+data (like AT&T's 3G)? Does that make my 3G service "worse" ?

My point is that you can go on forever, and come to ZERO conclusion. This will *NEVER* be a scientific and/or reliable preference poll like "do you like your Storm" or "how long does your battery last" (which are also not scientific but at least have a more finite question/answer. 3G service is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to quantify and qualify.

And to your retort - I am posting in this thread as to not MISLEAD anyone who might think that "wow I read on BlackBerry Forums that Verizon 3G is great but it doesn't work at my office on the 30th floor in downtown Minneapolis..."

Finally, if you disagree - see the "+1" from the moderator above. Mods normally do not put up with "this is stupid" responses unless they have some truth.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:10 AM   #9
zero7404

Quote:
To justify WHY this poll is "stupid" (and not relevant):

1. Verizon is terrific at my in-law's house in Albany, NY.
2. Verizon is terrific at my condo in Atlanta.
3. Verizon is crap at my house in suburban Atlanta (outer city limits).
4. Verizon is good in Rochester, NY.
5. Verizon is average in downtown Raleigh, NC.
6. Verizon is great at Emory University in Atlanta.

Oh, wait, but that is with my "3G-enabled" RAZR maxx VE.

How about with my Storm? Some situations are similar, but others are completely different. I have no idea why. But the same situation exists with T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint.

What defines "good 3G service" ? Fast speed ? (see my first response). Long battery life ? (YES, battery life *IS* related to strong tower signal strength) And how about the lack of voice+data (like AT&T's 3G)? Does that make my 3G service "worse" ?

My point is that you can go on forever, and come to ZERO conclusion. This will *NEVER* be a scientific and/or reliable preference poll like "do you like your Storm" or "how long does your battery last" (which are also not scientific but at least have a more finite question/answer. 3G service is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to quantify and qualify.

And to your retort - I am posting in this thread as to not MISLEAD anyone who might think that "wow I read on BlackBerry Forums that Verizon 3G is great but it doesn't work at my office on the 30th floor in downtown Minneapolis..."

Finally, if you disagree - see the "+1" from the moderator above. Mods normally do not put up with "this is stupid" responses unless they have some truth.
i think you think too much....please don't ramble on in this thread, i've heard enough of what you have to say. take your opinions to other threads.

i think i asked about 3G and the Storm, not a RAZR, so why are you mentioning it ?

if a mod sides with you, then he/she is just as slanted as you are.
a little googling will find you a forum with more ppl just as agitated as you, i'm sure you'd love it there...

Last edited by zero7404; 02-17-2009 at 01:14 AM..
Old 02-17-2009, 01:11 AM   #10
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingleberry69 View Post
Good point!

Whats his prob?
I like the polls, gives you a basic Idea!

Plus I can personally say that Verizon is better, because I have had all 3 carriers. Att suks
thanks for seeing that, much appreciated to know i'm not alone here...
Old 02-17-2009, 01:51 AM   #11
Bulgaro
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon
Default It's been a great ride

Quote:
not too crazy about going with Verizon, but I just might do it due to the 'overall' package when compared to the other carrier offerings....

overall, at the end of the day/week/month, what's your take with Verizon's 3G and the Storm ?
I can honestly say that Verizon's 3G has been very stable ... I have friends in the other 3G networks and let's just say they are waiting for their contracts to be up . Now granted I believe 3G is meant for phones like the Storm and other phones that take full advantage of the network regardless of the carrier .
My 2cents
Old 02-17-2009, 02:11 AM   #12
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulgaro View Post
I can honestly say that Verizon's 3G has been very stable ... I have friends in the other 3G networks and let's just say they are waiting for their contracts to be up . Now granted I believe 3G is meant for phones like the Storm and other phones that take full advantage of the network regardless of the carrier .
My 2cents
thanks for the input Bulgaro. by the results of the poll i'm gaining more confidence that i'd be happy with verizon, services-wise. however, i always doubted them with regard to the billing-wise aspect. this is because i've had them in the past (long time ago) and my bill was never consistent.

things i thought that were part of my plan, would turn out not to be, and i'd wind up with some surprises on some bills. once my bill came out to $ 300 more than normal and i swear i did nothing out of the ordinary monthly usage....

so imagine my caution when i am reading about their offerings, and how the minutes and data counts, and what constitutes how these are charged depending on where i am ? so when i'm at my family's in nyc, if the phone doesn't say 1XEVDO, and i'm surfing on the browser, is verizon having a $$ moment with my account ? -- even though their plans are more expensive than my current plan with Tmo, at least i know I can go anywhere in the tri-state, use my phone to talk/browse, and i know that i won't get any surprises, because my bill in the last 2 years has been consistently coming in @ the plan amount + tax....when i go over, it usually isn't ever more than 20 $.....and that's on a busy month, with a 1000 min. plan.

maybe i'll go to verizon for 3 months on month to month, see how things are...
Old 02-17-2009, 02:48 AM   #13
Bulgaro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
thanks for the input Bulgaro. by the results of the poll i'm gaining more confidence that i'd be happy with verizon, services-wise. however, i always doubted them with regard to the billing-wise aspect. this is because i've had them in the past (long time ago) and my bill was never consistent.

things i thought that were part of my plan, would turn out not to be, and i'd wind up with some surprises on some bills. once my bill came out to $ 300 more than normal and i swear i did nothing out of the ordinary monthly usage....

so imagine my caution when i am reading about their offerings, and how the minutes and data counts, and what constitutes how these are charged depending on where i am ? so when i'm at my family's in nyc, if the phone doesn't say 1XEVDO, and i'm surfing on the browser, is verizon having a $$ moment with my account ? -- even though their plans are more expensive than my current plan with Tmo, at least i know I can go anywhere in the tri-state, use my phone to talk/browse, and i know that i won't get any surprises, because my bill in the last 2 years has been consistently coming in @ the plan amount + tax....when i go over, it usually isn't ever more than 20 $.....and that's on a busy month, with a 1000 min. plan.

maybe i'll go to verizon for 3 months on month to month, see how things are...
Well when it come to billing that's is a very valid question... I can say that I travel from MD to the Southeast all through the Gulf Coast. I'm originally from New Orleans and I can say that I have had few billing errors and the ones that I did have were resolved at the second tier level with no problems. Now I may be the exception.... Well on their BB unlimited Plan I don't see you having a problem there are a 450 / 900 / 1350 and Unlimited call plans the two latter mentioned have unlimited calling to
5 Friends & Family numbers as for Data;
Blackberry® Solution Unlimited Data Usage $44.99/month
Email and Web for BlackBerry® $29.99/month
Those figures are from Verizons' Site . Hope that helps

Last edited by Bulgaro; 02-17-2009 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: More info
Old 02-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #14
possmann

I've got the "all you can eat" data plan and I'm in the Milwaukee Wisconsin area (no, that is not a suburb of Chicago - LOL) so for me it seems "OK". Although I have to admit that I haven't had much to compare it against...
Old 02-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #15
JimW

Default Q then Storm

had a Moto Q (passed to my son), and now a storm.

Have used Wireless braodband tethered on the Q (not 3G) in Cleveland (home), Loisianana (mostly Lafayette area, but also in other parts of the state), Portland Oregon, Charlotte NC, Pitssburgh PA, Dallas TX. Connectiivty has always been good.

Have also used tethered Q betwwen cleveland and louisiana on interstates... My son was browning internet coninuously the whole trip.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #16
ghamden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Verizon so far has been great

Verizon 3g is great ,getting service in places that i never had service.

My previous Carrier US Cellular has turned off a lot of their towers instead of upgrading to new tech.. so i lost all service canceled their service with no cancelllation fees..

He who Ignores Discipline despises themselves

But whoever heeds correction gains understanding.

Last edited by ghamden; 02-19-2009 at 05:13 PM..
Old 02-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #17
NJBourne23
Knows Where the Search Button Is

love the coverage but hate the stupidity associated with some employees. If you don't knwo something don't waste time on the phone asking the PAYING customers to restart the phone or asking asinine questions. Also i hate the prices that they charge, i mean i don't mind paying for quality service but don't cripple the phones that we pay an arm and a leg for with the services we like, AKA Blackberry GPS capabilities
Old 02-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #18
Fenderslinger

Default Newbee to BlackBerry

So far I like it very much!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #19
jhenry44

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Listen,
As for Lindros he or she obviously has a construed opinion and does not have all of the facts to back it up. Cell service and or quality is the not the whole entire package with a wireless device such as the Storm. Data, voice quality and voice reliability plays a huge role in how happy you should be. The Storm albeit is a very easy device to use, also has several complexities that if you dont have the time to spend with it, then you truly will never enjoy the device.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #20
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

This commentary is from the standpoint of someone with Verizon service in Central Florida.

I have run the gambit of major carriers: Bellsouth / Cingular, Sprint, Nextel, Sprint-Nextel, and now Verizon. I also travel regularly domestically and abroad. However I always use a cheap GSM phone abroad - the best way to roll all around.

So far, and I said this with all the emotion I can muster, relative to the other carriers Verizon service / customer service has been impeccable. Verizon could improve on some of its contractual practices however this is not relevant to service.

When traveling the U.S., Verizon service outperforms all other carriers. I get service in elevators and basements with my Verizon Storm. All the iPhone users can't and there are alot of them in my business. Verizon is a heavyweight in an arena full of lightweights. No one can argue against that. I get service in places most AT&T and Tmobile customers can't. Apple loses big points with me for allowing AT&T service into their iPhones.

I hear arguments about other carriers offering better rate plans, etc, and I fail to realize how that's such a plus if you are getting terrible reception and dropped calls.

I am thrilled with Verizon 3G service and I think these polls are a great idea. I crossed over to Verizon as a result of hearing many positive comments about Verizon service from its customers.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 02-19-2009 at 06:46 PM..
Closed Thread