Old 02-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
dbower96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: ?
Carrier: Verizon
Default Voyager to Storm

Please Login to Remove!

Hello to all! I have been browsing this site for the past couple of days, as I am considering purchasing a Storm. I currently have a Voyager, but it is time for an upgrade. I've never had a BlackBerry, but used a Palm Treo years ago.

I'm looking for input from anyone out there that currently has a Storm and previously used a Voyager. How is your experience so far, and how has the Storm made you either rejoice or regret your switch from the Voyager.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)

Voyager = consumer device (glorified phone).
BlackBerry = primarily an email device with consumer features.

Based on others' feedback on the forum, you will either be delighted or frustrated. Your use of email as a tool (and restraint in installing a high number of unnecessary applications) will probably dictate how happy or unhappy you are.

Since the Voyager just came out about a year ago (correct me if I'm wrong), the only reason I'd guess you want to switch is to show off the newest device.

If that's the case, stick with the Voyager. In my opinion, it's not "time for an upgrade."
Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
Sparkmaster

PIN: N/A

I have both the Voyager & Storm.. Storm Batter life about a day and voyager battery life about a month.. I turn it on now and than just to charge it... I cant stand to be without my Storm..
Old 02-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
dbower96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, the Voyager has started to "bug out" after over a year of no problems. I have always done a good job of updating it. It's not about having the newest, coolest toy...it is more about having a reliable device to keep me connected. Just because I have never been a BB user doesn't mean that I won't love it. I've stayed away from touchscreen only devices because of the size of my thumbs, but many of the reviews I've read have made it appear that the Storm works real well for those that are challenged in this way.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
dbower96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Another question I would have is about how well the desktop software works with Vista...
Old 02-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
dbower96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Bump

Thought I would give my thread a bump as I am trying to make my decision this week.

C'mon current or past Voyager owners - Give me your thoughts on your Storm and how it is working out for you...
Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
woodypeoples

Model: None
Default Same Boat

I am in the same boat you are. I currently have a Voyager, and am eligible for my New Every Two today. The Storm is pretty awesome (the browser is a lot better than the Voyager, and I think navigating is easier on the Storm over any Blackberry). I think I am going to hold out for a new traditional Blackberry device. I don't think I want a touch only phone. I email and text a lot on my phone, and don't want to have to pay real close attention when I type. The only reason I am considering a change is because the email on the Voyager is awful. I need a Blackberry for the email, and don't really want to fumble with a touch only. The "buy one get one free" makes it really tempting though. I am going to have to fight my urges.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Pravius
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbower96 View Post
Another question I would have is about how well the desktop software works with Vista...
It works the same if not better than XP. I even had the desktop software installed on Windows 7 for awhile and it worked flawlessly.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:10 AM   #9
Bulgaro
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Ask
Default My 2 Cents... Keep the Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbower96 View Post
Thought I would give my thread a bump as I am trying to make my decision this week.

C'mon current or past Voyager owners - Give me your thoughts on your Storm and how it is working out for you...
OK first of all Wow before my Voyager I had a Treo 700w weird . I can tell you that email and web is what this phone is made for . The browser is far better than the Voyager and mind you I still have my voyager . This is my first BB and I'll be honest in saying that if the Storm did not come out I would not have switched to a BB . And know I don't know how I live without one . Also finding a community like this one and Crackberry.com makes a world of a difference , You're an Army guy so you know that support is crucial. HOOAH
Old 02-19-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

The wife has a Voyager and its a pretty good phone. A couple of OS upgrades pretty much made the phone run like a top for her. But she is coming over to the BB world as well. She wanted a Storm but after playing with the Pink Curve she seemed to be in love. However she is a petite woman with smaller fingers.

I am a HUGE email / texter on my BB Storm. Even with big thumbs I am a texting machine. I scream along without a problem on the landscape Qwerty. I've used the Curve Qwerty on a work phone for a few weeks and with my thumbs I am far more effective on the larger Storm landscape Qwerty. Ill go out on a limb and say for a the average to large sized man - the Curve Qwerty can be a challenge. But I have big old meat hooks.

Go play with the two at a VZW store and judge for yourself. If you are a smaller guy with skinny fingers, you just might be comfortable with the tiny keys on the Curve. But you will also find the landscape Qwerty on the Storm to be just as functional.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 02-19-2009 at 12:34 AM..
Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 AM   #11
dbower96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks guys! I think you have helped me make up my mind...I am going to contact my rep and order my Storm! I needed to talk to some people that had or still have the Voyager since only they would know what I am talking about. The Voyager is a great phone, and definitely has served its purpose for me. But it has started to bug out, and it is time for an upgrade. With your help, I am more than willing to give it a try. I played with it at the store for about an hour and still wasn't turned off by it.

As for this forum, I think that it is going to become one my best friends...just like verizonvoyager.org did when I was having Voyager issues or questions. The majority of the people on this site seem to want to help and don't have a problem answering the questions of newbies...
Closed Thread