Old 02-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
craftysince86
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default "airplane mode" ??

Please Login to Remove!

i remember on some previous phones that i have owned it was possible to set the phone to an airplane mode where the phone would recieve no signal so you could use it while in the air... hence the name.

is there a way to do this on the storm so that i could use the media apps while in the air and not have to worry about bringing the plane down???
Old 02-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

There is not a function "Airplane Mode" but this is what you need to do:

Before the aircraft door closes, Go to Manage Connections and turn OFF the mobile network. Your signal indicator on the screen should read OFF. Then power off the device.

When you are in the air, and instructed to do so, you can turn on the BB, and the signal will be off.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...=airplane+mode
Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)

Or simply turn off the radio (from the home/icon screen) like I've done on every other BlackBerry I've ever owned...
Old 02-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

that is the icon named "Manage Connections" on most of the Blackberrys
Old 02-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask

For what it is worth, the show "Myth Busters" did a show regarding cellular phone signals in airplanes. They actually flew a plane and made several phone calls with no problems. Then they even utilized a device to artificially amplify a carrier signal to a rediculously high signal strength. None of the plane's instruments were affected.

Makes you wonder what the real reason is for turning off your phones. Maybe to force you to use the planes pay phones? Hmmmm.

Verizon 9530
Old 02-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
withanhdammit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Location: Vancouver, USA (no, the first Vancouver, in Washington...no not DC, the state)
Model: 9700
PIN: check
Carrier: AT&T

Yeah, I saw the Mythbuster's episode on that as well. I'm a pilot and conducted my own radio/cell phone tests. I found that the cell phone does interfere with the radios in the plane. Have you ever had your phone next to your monitor and the monitor starts buzzing when the phone is up/down loading data or receiving a call and getting ready to ring? Same effect to a plane's radios. I personally observed this in a Cessna 172 and a Piper Warrior 161.

Not sure why it didn't work on Mythbusters, but it did for me.

h

Last edited by withanhdammit; 02-04-2009 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: stupid fat fingers :-)
Old 02-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Read this thread for THAT discussion on debate over cell phone use on aircraft.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/off-...-inflight.html

For this poster, his question has been answered.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
that is the icon named "Manage Connections" on most of the Blackberrys
Define "most".

My 8703e, 8700c, 8320, etc. all have "Turn Wireless [off/on]".

*Newer* models have "manage connections" since people are too lazy to type O > B to get to Bluetooth.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by withanhdammit View Post
Not sure why it didn't work on Mythbusters, but it did for me.
You have a GSM device (T-Mobile or AT&T/Cingular in the USA or one of MANY international providers). GSM devices (including the iPhone and innumerable others) will cause the buzz on radios when in short proximity. If your phone/radio/whatever is unshielded the effects are worse (i.e. older office phones have a major issue with this).

[remainder posted in debate/off-topic forum]
Old 02-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Terasec

Model: 8350
Carrier: Nextel/sprint
Default radio signals to interfere

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
For what it is worth, the show "Myth Busters" did a show regarding cellular phone signals in airplanes. They actually flew a plane and made several phone calls with no problems. Then they even utilized a device to artificially amplify a carrier signal to a rediculously high signal strength. None of the plane's instruments were affected.

Makes you wonder what the real reason is for turning off your phones. Maybe to force you to use the planes pay phones? Hmmmm.
pretty common to have radio go haywire and static from a cell phone signal nearby,
most electronics leak some signal,
even if 1 in a million chance your cell will interfere
i dont want to be on the plane with that yahoo who didnt feel the need to turn off his/her cell because mythbusters told him it was ok.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
PANAN

Model: stori

full disclosure - BB Neophyte ahead!

I am getting ready to fly tomorrow for the first time since getting my Storm. I eagerly read the first post but alas - I cannot seem to figure out exactly HOW to ' turn off the wireless network'. Do I turn data services off ? I get to a screen which says:
Mobile voice: status- available
Connection : Mobile Network
BB Internet Service
Connection: not connected
BB Enterprise server: not connected(I think this is ok as I am not on an enterprise server)
-------
Mobile Network
1xev
Mobile Network Provider
Verizon Wireless
----
Bluetooth
On

Can anyone tell me what to turn off on the plane? I would like to have games and music available but I want service when I land again...

Sorry if this is silly......newbie!!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Panan, once you press the icon "Manage Connections"

You should see at the top "Turn All Connections Off"
and beneath that check boxes for Mobile Network and for Bluetooth.

You can highlight and click on "Turn All Connections Off" or click on the marked check box for Mobile Network.

SO, from the screen you described above, you went one screen too far.

Now, on flight day, you've boarded the craft, made the last phone call, and the Captain or Flight Attendant has asked that all passengers turn off electronic, blah blah devices. You will turn OFF your Mobile Network as above, OR, Turn All connections Off, per the above. THEN, you will press AND hold the RED end call key. Your device will alert you that it is turning off (and might even tell you when it is turning back on for an alarm or the such.

Your device is off.

Once in the air, and after you are instructed that you can use portable electronic devices, you can press the red end call key once again to turn on the BlackBerry. When you do so, and it is booted up, ALL your mobile will connections will already be off.

You turn it off again to land. And back on upon landing, and at that time you will return to "Manage Connections" on the Storm, and click to check those boxes again to turn on Mobile Network.

Good luck, and ask back here if you have further questions.

Last edited by JSanders; 02-04-2009 at 01:08 PM..
Old 02-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #13
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
Define "most".

My 8703e, 8700c, 8320, etc. all have "Turn Wireless [off/on]".

*Newer* models have "manage connections" since people are too lazy to type O > B to get to Bluetooth.
Sheez, yes.

BUT, since the original poster in THIS case has a Storm, and posted IN the Storm section, I answered his/her question to reflect the settings ON the Storm. He/she will not have an icon "Turn Wireless on/off".

Is that ok with you, that I did that?
Old 02-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #14
PANAN

Model: stori

THANKS JSanders - that did the trick and now I know what to do tomorrow - thanks!!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
craftysince86

Model: storm
Carrier: verizon

thanks fellas! i'm outta here before people start posting teh naked pics of that dood from myth busters
Old 02-05-2009, 04:11 AM   #16
PBSD

Model: Storm

Quote:

I'm pretty sure they have you turn off ALL hand held devices so you are in full alert to pay attention to the safety debriefing and have your hands ready incase the plane doesn't quite take-off...
Old 02-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #17
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

For the record. Myth Busters didn't advocate doing it anyway. They simply tested whether or not a passenger phone would affect the plane's instruments from the passenger area.

It is axiomatic that proximity plays a huge factor.

For the record, I obey the rules and power down my phone and laptop. I have no problem having an alcoholic beverage and waiting to make a call when the plane lands. I would prefer not to be subjected to the wrath of an air marshall.

Verizon 9530
Old 02-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #18
michael12005
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Tour
Default Airplane Mode

The sole reason we are not allowed to use Blackberrys and Cell Phones in the air is because when we fly over cities at say 400 MPH and we pass cell towers so fast (unlike in a car) that the entire cellphone system would be jammed up as we pass from tower to tower!
Old 02-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #19
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:

Quoting Mythbusters is like quoting Wikipedia.

Yreah, the guys have cool jobs, but they don't exactly floow strict scientific method. And I do believe that they used private plane for their test. The amount of electronics in a commercial airliner is order of magnitude greater than in a Cessna.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #20
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Canuck, if you actually watched the episode you would know they did not use a Cessna.
They used a private jet with a considerable amount of sophisticated equipment inside it.

I would disagree with your analogy. Wikipedia is definitely not a reliable source being that anyone in the world can post to it. Myth Busters actually recreates scenarios and either "busts" or confirms a particular allegation while filming the event.

LOL. I made the comment about the airline companies forcing us to use their phones as a joke! That was the particular "myth" the show was seeking to "bust". NOT that is was safe or unsafe to use cellular phones on commercial planes. Seems like I am the only one who actually watched this episode! The myth to be "busted" was:

"The ban on cell phones on aircraft is designed to force passengers to use the expensive in-flight phones."

It was found that cell phone signals, specifically those in the 800-900 MHz range, DID intefere with unshielded ****pit instrumentation. Because older aircraft with unshielded wiring CAN be affected, and because of the possible problems that may arise by having many airborne cell phones "seeing" multiple cell phone towers, the FCC (via enforcement through the FAA) still deems it best to err on the safe side and prohibit the use of cell phones while airborne.

AIGHT!

Verizon 9530
Closed Thread