BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
jjd228
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)
Default AIM for Verizon... finally

Please Login to Remove!

new BB AIM client also works with VZW

http://www.blackberry.com/devicesoft....do?code=aim20

only dumbass thing i can see is that even when youre signed ON you still appear as mobile to other people... and since you can configure aim to forward mobile messages to your bb anyway, i dont see the point in having this.

Last edited by jjd228; 09-13-2008 at 06:28 AM..
Old 09-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

A few days late: AIM Now Available for Verizon Customers | BlackBerryNews.com

But your're right, the app is still not very good.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
jjd228

Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)

yeah, it really just looks like they overlooked some really simple things. for example like a mentioned above... if youre SIGNED ON then you shouldnt have the mobile icon next to your name in peoples buddy list (we can do this without using bb aim simply by setting up IM forwarding on the aim desktop client). AND... the buddy icons that are displayed on the bb dont change regardless of whether the user is actually signed on, or mobile (should have a mobile phone if theyre mobile)
Old 09-13-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

If you're signed on to a mobile AIM app, why wouldn't you have the mobile icon next to your name?

eh, with JiveTalk being so much more customizable, I don't have these issues.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
jjd228

heres why: when people see you on their buddy list with the cell phone icon next to your name, more times than not they wont bother IM'ing you and assume youre offline and simply have "offline mobile forwarding" enabled. people have come to associate that little mobile phone icon with being "offline". so if youre going to run a client that actually signs you ON to the aim network, then you should appear as ONline. then when you sign OFF, if you have offline forwarding enabled, then you should have the cellphone icon next to your name. point being, if im going to usee bb aim and still appear to be using "offline forwarding", then theres really no point in using bb aim in the first place. i can simply sign off of aim, use offline forwarding, and still be able to send and receive messages. i dont think the R&D dept really tested this process enough.

edit: jivetalk, for example gets it right. when you sign on with jivetalk you appear as ONline, not "offline mobile forwarding"

Last edited by jjd228; 09-13-2008 at 09:56 AM..
Old 09-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd228 View Post
heres why: when people see you on their buddy list with the cell phone icon next to your name, more times than not they wont bother IM'ing you and assume youre offline and simply have "offline mobile forwarding" enabled. people have come to associate that little mobile phone icon with being "offline". so if youre going to run a client that actually signs you ON to the aim network, then you should appear as ONline. then when you sign OFF, if you have offline forwarding enabled, then you should have the cellphone icon next to your name. point being, if im going to usee bb aim and still appear to be using "offline forwarding", then theres really no point in using bb aim in the first place. i can simply sign off of aim, use offline forwarding, and still be able to send and receive messages. i dont think the R&D dept really tested this process enough.

edit: jivetalk, for example gets it right. when you sign on with jivetalk you appear as ONline, not "offline mobile forwarding"
I totally agree with you!!
Old 09-13-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
mtnman64

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

when using IM like AIM, with vzw, does it use data, or does it go against your text msg usage?
Old 09-13-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Data, if you use the RIM App, or Bee Jive.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
Stew
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

If you use AIM does it count towards your data (like it does with the Blackberry messenger) or does it use text messages.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
Demon

PIN: 304fcd63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
If you use AIM does it count towards your data (like it does with the Blackberry messenger) or does it use text messages.

Thanks.
This application uses the data connection of the device, not text messaging.
Closed Thread