Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
traveler20
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Blackberry Desktop Redirector: Missing Features and Folders

Please Login to Remove!

Just tried the redirector one more time before considering replacing my device, and found a pile of issues I hadn’t noticed before. I’ve got the redirector linked to my main internet email account with a new Exchange profile, and with a key exchange it’s functioning. Any email landing in the inbox will trigger a forward to the device. But I found these annoyances, and wasn’t sure if anyone had workarounds for any of them:

Default Outlook client mail format is HTML, with delivery and read request flags turned on. The redirector’s outbound emails are plain text with all flags turned off. That’s what I would expect from something like a simple exchange client (that doesn’t need another desktop client to be present), but not if I have to have the Outlook client running with the redirector. Has anyone been successful changing the default outbound format and flags options for the redirector?

Original email messages and replies to messages, written on the device, are missing the email recipient names (only bare email addresses shown). This is ugly, and two steps backward from the BIS, which allows the device to format email addresses (even though they may be formatted wrong ;)) as we write them and expect to see them in the 21st century. Is this what the redirector has always been doing, and possibly an “incentive” to upgrade to a BES for better presentation, or is it possible that I’ve missed a setup option to present complete email addresses instead of bare unformatted email addresses?

All available profile mail folders (within the mailbox) are not showing up in the email configuration, only a subset. Sometimes it’s the inbox and spam folders, sometimes only deleted items and spam or inbox and sent mail, but not consistently, and user-created mail subfolders are not showing up. On one workstation, no folders are showing up to be selected, however the default folders are being found and used by the redirector with no difficulties. Also, the desktop manager appears to be re-creating the profile subfolders on the device, but the redirector is not causing anything to be placed within them. Has anyone been successful getting all mail subfolders (below the Inbox) to be selectable and sync-able to the device?

The “Desktop” inbox folder is not showing up on the device, not even with multiple experiments with different workstations and profiles. Desktop messages are only viewable, and can be replied to, from the Messages shortcut on the device. Shouldn’t the Desktop folder be appearing on the device?

After having to deal with multiple devices for different functions (originally started with a phone and a Blackberry, now three wireless PDA’s), but since there’s no push email on BIS, if the redirector introduces more problems than it solves, this device may be history soon.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Desktop redirector has been dead for years. No sense beating it to death as it is already there.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
traveler20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Desktop redirector has been dead for years. No sense beating it to death as it is already there.
The redirector eliminates a potential privacy breach that RIM hard-coded into the 4.2 device software (running 4.2.1.110 device software here). That has been a serious problem for me since upgrading from the 4.1.0.344 device software, so I back-leveled the device and only upgraded the OS within the past year when an app I needed required it. Although the newer OS improved the organizer (and the desktop manager through which it syncs to a desktop organizer), it needs the redirector to undo some of the damage that was done that causes the device to mix content between email accounts, and reveal the user’s identity without warning.

But the redirector’s solution doesn’t come without a penalty of it’s own. It’s limited to a single email account (similar to the BES). Also, unfortunately, it appears that we trade a few offensive issues for more offensive new issues. ;) I seem to be the only person running the program to have posted these questions (and yes, I’ve searched the web first before asking).

However, since I bought the redirector with my device, and the redirector is still provided by RIM with their latest desktop software, it’s not dead (yet). I look forward to any insight anyone would have on these issues.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
CharlieMike73
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Not dead yet... or is it?

I too still use Redirector and have also noticed some of the points made above such as only being able to send/receive plain text emails.

I've also noticed that when I get long emails I don't get all of the message, I have to request 'More', and even then if I say 'More All' I still only get 4000k more and not the complete missing portion unless I keep repeating 'More All' till I get to the end of the message.

Another thing I have noticed is with recieving attachments, when I get an email, with say a 'doc' attachment, the attachment ntofication icon appears but if I click on it I get a notice telling me that "This attachment type cannot be viewed on your device" - even a simple plain text file or jpg image.

BES is not an option, my company will not let me use that service so I have to make do with BIS. So what are my options to get emails (inc. accessable attachments) sent to my BlackBerry from my desktop (running Outlook) and also be able reply to and generate emails.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
traveler20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieMike73 View Post
I too still use Redirector and have also noticed some of the points made above such as only being able to send/receive plain text emails.

I've also noticed that when I get long emails I don't get all of the message, I have to request 'More', and even then if I say 'More All' I still only get 4000k more and not the complete missing portion unless I keep repeating 'More All' till I get to the end of the message.

Another thing I have noticed is with recieving attachments, when I get an email, with say a 'doc' attachment, the attachment ntofication icon appears but if I click on it I get a notice telling me that "This attachment type cannot be viewed on your device" - even a simple plain text file or jpg image.

BES is not an option, my company will not let me use that service so I have to make do with BIS. So what are my options to get emails (inc. accessable attachments) sent to my BlackBerry from my desktop (running Outlook) and also be able reply to and generate emails.
Your options are…NONE. The desktop redirector is badly broken and RIM apparently has no intention of fixing it.

The only steps you can do to troubleshoot those issues is, after confirming you’re running the latest firmware on your device, re-image your device and/or rebuild your Exchange profile. There’s actually more value than you might think in doing either (or both), since each time I re-imaged my Blackberry (lost count how many times so far) it acted a little differently. In my case, it exposed new privacy violations I hadn’t seen before, but I digress. ;)

Seriously, your Exchange profile could also have something to do with how your redirector is working. My Exchange client’s server profile was already a clean profile with a single service, but I found that my standalone Outlook client profile and the local messagestore had problems, so I recreated both (the profile and the messagestore). Had no effect on the redirector, but at least I fixed up my email client and picked up a few new Outlook features I didn’t realize I had available. If you have any doubts about your Exchange profile, create a new one (you can have as many as you want, just make the default one the profile you want to use). If that doesn’t help, just delete the new test profile and go back to your old profile.

If you decide to re-image your device, a complete reformat and reload with javaloader and your usb cable and Blackberry desktop. Don’t even think about doing that without the complete desktop package installed and working, and with a full backup of your device saved locally with the desktop program. That process will restore your device to how it should have been when you bought it. Then try retrieving large messages and attachments before reloading any of your third-party applications back into the device.

BTW, the redirector will work with any Exchange profile, server or standalone. The redirector uses MAPI, which doesn’t care where the messagestore sits, it just has to exist and the client (redirector) needs something to service it’s MAPI functions. I and others have run it with standalone Exchange clients, so it does work. However, since the redirector is badly broken, we see the same problems in both server and standalone mode. In my case, my server profile accesses an Exchange 2007 enterprise server, and the redirector can’t see any server folders.

Redirector would not see any of my other Outlook folders, such as calendar, contacts, notes, etc., and created extra message folders on the device that required a reformat and reload to get rid of. I also couldn’t see any of my server inbox messages on the device, except in the general messages folder (mixed with messages from all the other email accounts I have on the device). That sure doesn’t add value to a PDA email client.

The Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) is a poor performer, and the redirector makes it worse. Since you’re at the mercy of the redirector when it’s going to send messages out, you’re not doing much better than the 15 minute lag for POP3 and IMAP4 email accounts on BIS.

Since without the BES there is no push email, and without BES or the redirector email is definitely slower and less functional than any other smartphone on the market, there’s little reason to be running a Blackberry. That’s the real reality.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieMike73 View Post

Is BIS not an option for your work email?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Closed Thread