BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
franklin3460

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telstra
Question Media Sync Problem: Can't/Won't find Itunes!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there
I wanted to add a few more songs to my BB Bold recently and tried to get the syncing process happening - but it seems that the Media Sync just hangs when it tries to load the Playlists. I've clicked the down arrow to see if it will bring up the Windows Media Player lists and that seemed to work ok. I have had success with my Itunes library in the past.

In the meantime, I have uninstalled and re-installed Itunes and still get the same thing - no playlists - no nothing !! I even uninstalled the BB Media Player and reinstalled that as well. I thought that might have helped, but it didn't make much difference. Any ideas or suggestions? I'm not a big fan of the Windows Media player and all my good stuff is on Itunes!
PS: Using OS v6.0.282 and the latest Itunes as well

Linda
Old 06-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
lukynk2bb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: 29A563C4
Carrier: Vodafone CZ BIS

do you have any playlists in your iTunes or not? because i think that Media Sync (newest version) and newest version of iTunes sync only playlists - I tried also to sync whole library - without success.
try to make one playlist and sync
Old 06-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
franklin3460

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukynk2bb View Post
do you have any playlists in your iTunes or not? because i think that Media Sync (newest version) and newest version of iTunes sync only playlists - I tried also to sync whole library - without success.
try to make one playlist and sync

I do have several playlists on Itunes and I successfully managed to sync only the playlists I wanted to sync several months ago. There wasn't a problem. Now, when I try to update the songs, Media Sync won't even bring up the playlists, so I can't even select which playlist I want to update! The little circles/dots just keep going round in a circle, like it's searching, but nothing happens! It's a bit frustrating. I've even downloaded the latest version of BB Desktop Manager last night and still no luck! I'm confuzzled.......
Old 06-18-2010, 04:05 AM   #4
lukynk2bb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin3460 View Post
I do have several playlists on Itunes and I successfully managed to sync only the playlists I wanted to sync several months ago. There wasn't a problem. Now, when I try to update the songs, Media Sync won't even bring up the playlists, so I can't even select which playlist I want to update! The little circles/dots just keep going round in a circle, like it's searching, but nothing happens! It's a bit frustrating. I've even downloaded the latest version of BB Desktop Manager last night and still no luck! I'm confuzzled.......
ok, I understand now. so tell me, what have you changed since it worked to present? (reinstall itunes, reinstal OS, change BB...)
Old 06-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
franklin3460

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukynk2bb View Post
ok, I understand now. so tell me, what have you changed since it worked to present? (reinstall itunes, reinstal OS, change BB...)
OK - Here Goes! Hope you've got a hot drink there! My memory is not that great, but I will try and give you a rough idea of what's occurred.

Originally (months and months ago), I managed to sync several of my favourite playlists from Itunes onto the Blackberry. I have dozens of playlists, but I only opted to sync the specific lists which I still have on my BB today. That all seemed to work well with no problems.

All was well and then recently there was an upgrade to the BB OS which I upgraded to. I just can't remember which version it was. It might have been V5 - but I'm not sure. Suddenly, I found my phone had been wiped of all information and literally had gone back to the original factory settings. (I didn't think this was supposed to happen). This alarmed me, but nothing on the phone was all that important. I proceeded to reload most of what I needed when I noticed there were a couple of things not quite right, so I actually deleted all 3rd party applications and all the memory and started again. (This may have been part of my problem ). I thought it was only going to delete Twitter, FaceBook and a couple of other miscellaneous applications - stuff I thought I could just download again.

I then found a link for the older software and put 4.6.0.282 back on. I was able to get the phone firing again and have since reloaded my "miscellaneous applications" and all seems well with it, except the Media Sync option.

I have to admit, it's not such a big problem - but it is annoying - and one day I am going to want to update the playlists again.

I've updated all the relevant software that I can and I thought that would help - but obviously, something is still amiss. It looks like I can use the Windows Media Player playlists, but that's a crap system and I don't want to start on another system if I can avoid it.

PS: Thanks for your interest in my "Issue" and for your responses so far. Hope you can help - but - if all else fails - my phone is still working and I'll just make do I guess.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:51 AM   #6
lukynk2bb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
OK - Here Goes! Hope you've got a hot drink there! My memory is not that great, but I will try and give you a rough idea of what's occurred.

Originally (months and months ago), I managed to sync several of my favourite playlists from Itunes onto the Blackberry. I have dozens of playlists, but I only opted to sync the specific lists which I still have on my BB today. That all seemed to work well with no problems.

All was well and then recently there was an upgrade to the BB OS which I upgraded to. I just can't remember which version it was. It might have been V5 - but I'm not sure. Suddenly, I found my phone had been wiped of all information and literally had gone back to the original factory settings. (I didn't think this was supposed to happen). This alarmed me, but nothing on the phone was all that important. I proceeded to reload most of what I needed when I noticed there were a couple of things not quite right, so I actually deleted all 3rd party applications and all the memory and started again. (This may have been part of my problem ). I thought it was only going to delete Twitter, FaceBook and a couple of other miscellaneous applications - stuff I thought I could just download again.

I then found a link for the older software and put 4.6.0.282 back on. I was able to get the phone firing again and have since reloaded my "miscellaneous applications" and all seems well with it, except the Media Sync option.

I have to admit, it's not such a big problem - but it is annoying - and one day I am going to want to update the playlists again.

I've updated all the relevant software that I can and I thought that would help - but obviously, something is still amiss. It looks like I can use the Windows Media Player playlists, but that's a crap system and I don't want to start on another system if I can avoid it.

PS: Thanks for your interest in my "Issue" and for your responses so far. Hope you can help - but - if all else fails - my phone is still working and I'll just make do I guess.
I think, that I found a reason of your issue:
it is upgrading to newer version of software without backing up your stuff (such as calendar, emails...) so that brought your BB to the factory settings. but after that, you downgrade the OS with backing up and then you have restored all, am I right?
I think, that the solution is to install brand new OS to your BB (try to check this forum) without backing up and restoring (emails and contacts and these stuffs you can sync with your outlook again). (This issue is because of bad compatibility between OS version 4 and 5 - I had several problems too.)
after you will have the newest OS version reinstall blackberry desktop manager and media sync - not itunes. then, you will have brand new blackberry and brand new program. then sync your contacts and calendar, then just copy one song to your BB memory card to be sure, there are no other problems to solve, then try to sync by using Media Sync.
try this and let me know. otherwise we can find other solution

Last edited by lukynk2bb; 06-19-2010 at 04:53 AM..
Old 06-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
franklin3460

thanks again for all your info..... I tried to download an updated OS via the Link at the start of the BB9000 forum, but kept getting error messages, or "Incorrect Link" notices! Woops
Even when I went to Blackberry.com to download from there, the latest OS they had was 4.5. I'm on 4.6 now. Eventually I managed to get one of the links from the forum to work, but then the language was all jumbled (it appeared as numbers in boxes etc)... I tried to bluff my way through to a download button and when I did, the language of the download looked like it was going to be in Korean!

So, for now - I'm still on 4.6! Will give it another try later i guess!

Last edited by franklin3460; 06-19-2010 at 11:44 PM..
Old 06-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #8
lukynk2bb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
thanks again for all your info..... I tried to download an updated OS via the Link at the start of the BB9000 forum, but kept getting error messages, or "Incorrect Link" notices! Woops
Even when I went to Blackberry.com to download from there, the latest OS they had was 4.5. I'm on 4.6 now. Eventually I managed to get one of the links from the forum to work, but then the language was all jumbled (it appeared as numbers in boxes etc)... I tried to bluff my way through to a download button and when I did, the language of the download looked like it was going to be in Korean!

ok, try to download the 4.5 from official blackberry website - blackberry.com and install it usual way - by deleting the vendor file - you will have OS 4.5 and we can work with it.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
lukynk2bb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

do you have 4.5 installed?
Old 06-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
franklin3460

sorry - I was out of the house most of the day yesterday and same again today. I will try again on this later this afternoon.... will keep you posted. Sorry about the delay! Will be in touch again maybe tomorrow - hopefully with 4.5 on!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
franklin3460

Hi there - I had a look at Blackberry.com today for V4.5 and it looks like it's compatible with the Curve phones - there was no mention of it being for the BOLD 9000 series phones (which is what I have). The other problem I noticed was when I clicked on the download button and the BB Desktop Application Loader opened, it didn't give me the option of downloading 4.5. The only packages listed there were the current V.6.0.282 (which I have installed) and the other previous versions down to v4.6.0.92. No mention of anything previous like 4.5! Should I maybe just wait until my Blackberry tells me to upgrade to the next version again..... ?
Old 06-24-2010, 03:43 AM   #12
lukynk2bb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Hi there - I had a look at Blackberry.com today for V4.5 and it looks like it's compatible with the Curve phones - there was no mention of it being for the BOLD 9000 series phones (which is what I have). The other problem I noticed was when I clicked on the download button and the BB Desktop Application Loader opened, it didn't give me the option of downloading 4.5. The only packages listed there were the current V.6.0.282 (which I have installed) and the other previous versions down to v4.6.0.92. No mention of anything previous like 4.5! Should I maybe just wait until my Blackberry tells me to upgrade to the next version again..... ?
ok, so do this:1. download again 4.5 to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." Vista/Win7 users: In the apploader folder, simply click on "Compatibility files" to see the actual Vendor.xml file. Once you've got that - simply delete the vendor.xml file there (even if you've deleted or think you've deleted it in the folder previously) and voila, it will allow you to update to the newly installed OS!
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.
do not forget to back up your files, but after your installation is completed do not do this, only try to sync music via iTunes.
let me know, if you have 4.5 - this is the way it worked for me (downgrade of OS)
Old 06-26-2010, 02:54 AM   #13
franklin3460

I tried again to download 4.5, but every time I try it, the BB Desktop Application Loader opens and doesn't give me the option of downloading an earlier version. Is there another way of getting it onto my pc without going through the BB Application Loader?
Old 06-27-2010, 03:33 AM   #14
lukynk2bb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I tried again to download 4.5, but every time I try it, the BB Desktop Application Loader opens and doesn't give me the option of downloading an earlier version. Is there another way of getting it onto my pc without going through the BB Application Loader?
you dont have to use BB application loader via BB desktop manager - only keep these steps mentioned in my previous post.
or do you keep it and nothing happens? cause earlier version of os have to install by clicking on loader in C - Program Files - common files - Research in Motion - apploader. the same folder as you deleted vendor file. there is Loader.exe and by it you can load whatever OS you want. have you done this and deleted the vendor file?

Last edited by lukynk2bb; 06-27-2010 at 03:35 AM..
Old 06-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #15
franklin3460

sorry to have been very quiet the last few days - we have a business to run which has been very busy.... I will try and get back to the BB issue in the next day or two! Sorry... will have another go soon and keep you posted
Old 07-01-2010, 06:04 AM   #16
lukynk2bb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
sorry to have been very quiet the last few days - we have a business to run which has been very busy.... I will try and get back to the BB issue in the next day or two! Sorry... will have another go soon and keep you posted
ok)good luck in your business
Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #17
lukynk2bb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
hi, so whats up? have you tried something?
Old 08-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #18
franklin3460

Thumbs up

Problem Solved Finally! Sorry it took so long, but I was quite busy in the meantime with business stuff and getting ready for a big trip to Europe/Uk. Anyhow - it looks like the new BB Desktop Manager V6 has solved the problem. I tried everything you mentioned above with no luck - so I was going to give up. But yesterday - I downloaded the new V6 Desktop software and life is back to normal! Yaaaayyy! Thanks so much for your help and patience in the meantime.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:00 AM   #19
lukynk2bb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Great so good luck
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread