Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
celeb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT
Default Folder redirection & Outlook Rules

Please Login to Remove!

Now I believe this is not possible, but figured I'd reach out to you guys as a last resort to see how you deal with this issue.

User has rules enabled in outlook to forward messages based on certain criteria to specific folders. If the user doesn't enable folder redirection the messages touched by the rules do not show up on the folder within the device itself.

If the user has rules enabled as well as folder redirection, the message shows up in both the appropriate folder on the handheld as well as in the main screen of the messaging application with a folder icon.

If the user doesn't have rules enabled nor folder redirection yet manually moves the message to a specific folder within outlook, forces wireless reconciliation, the message does show up on the device, within the appropriate folder.

The middle option is what I am looking for, minus the notification of the message moved by the rule on the main screen of the messaging application. According to what I am told, this is not possible, but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2007, 04:31 AM   #2
adamli9
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

I have server-side Outlook rules that move emails into folders. A few of the folders are set for redirection to my BB and they show up in the main messages list with the folder icon. I can also choose "View Folder" to view the folders individually.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
celeb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the reply.

What you wrote was exactly what I was covering in my initial post, however, I was wondering if it would be possible to avoid seeing messages which have been automatically filed (by rules within outlook) on the main message screen. ie. if I wanted to view those messages, I would just go into the appropriate folder.

I don't believe this is possible, but would be great if the functionality was added sometime in the future.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:32 AM   #4
aroughcircle
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: 250AAA26
Carrier: T-Mobile

I might be reading this wrong, and totally missing the point - but would this help?

On the handheld:

Go to Messages > Options > General > Hide Filed Messages - Set to Yes.

Like i said, if i read that wrong, and totally missed the point - Sorry!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:21 AM   #5
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroughcircle View Post
Go to Messages > Options > General > Hide Filed Messages - Set to Yes.

That sort-of works. I have several folders redirected to my BB, and I also have "hide filed messages" set to YES.
When I receive a new message (which has been redirected to a non-inbox folder by my client) it shows up in the main messages view on the BB, with a folder icon as opposed to an envelope. If I open/read the message, it disappears from the main message view (as per hide filed messages=YES)

My *guess* is that someone in RIM took an executive decision that if you are bothering to redirect a folder, you'll want to know when something new is added to it, and so main message view shows unread mail in redirected folders regardless of the hide filed messages option.
Or it could be a bug.

Either way, I've not found a way to redirect a folder to the BB and not have unread mail in that folder show up on the BB unless you browse to that redirected folder on the device.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #6
celeb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Agreed, spoke with RIM and they had mentioned that it has been a frequently requested feature which will probably be supported within Argon.
Closed Thread