BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
anthonymoody
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default MAJOR problem for mac users - BIS 2.4 and mail.app don't play nice with each other...

Please Login to Remove!

This is with an 8320 on TMO, and a mac.

Here's the deal...

If an email with an attachment is sent from a mac, using mail.app, to a blackberry, the message gets to the blackberry WITHOUT the attachment.

If the same email, with the same attachment, is sent from a web service (e.g. gmail), whether from a mac or PC, the message AND the attachment get to the blackberry.

For the first time in my life I'm actually hoping most of the people I interface with use PCs. Or at least use the web front-ends for their emails.

And no, selecting "Send Windows Friendly Attachments" from mail.app does not change the result.

I've sent a ticket in to RIM about this...we'll see.

TM
Old 09-27-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
dooks88

Model: 8900
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
This is with an 8320 on TMO, and a mac.

Here's the deal...

If an email with an attachment is sent from a mac, using mail.app, to a blackberry, the message gets to the blackberry WITHOUT the attachment.

If the same email, with the same attachment, is sent from a web service (e.g. gmail), whether from a mac or PC, the message AND the attachment get to the blackberry.

For the first time in my life I'm actually hoping most of the people I interface with use PCs. Or at least use the web front-ends for their emails.

And no, selecting "Send Windows Friendly Attachments" from mail.app does not change the result.

I've sent a ticket in to RIM about this...we'll see.

TM
I dont have that problem. I send my blackberry attachments from mail.app on a daily basis. Might be a problem with mail.app
Old 09-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
bigberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: 25292854
Carrier: O2

I have just tried to send an email to my bb and i have no problems at all.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
anthonymoody

What type of email addresses (blackberry.net, gmail, yahoo, etc) did you send from on mail.app and to on the BB?

TM
Old 09-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
bigberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

i have sent messages to my blackberry.orange account from my google mail account and have sent one to my google mail account from a wanadoo account.
Both had attachments and both were fine, hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
anthonymoody

Thanks. Jeez though, I've sent from: a pop account from my ISP, yahoo, and gmail, TO the ISP account, yahoo, gmail, and tmomail.net, and the attachments always get stripped.

Still waiting to hear back from RIM. TMO escalated my case. We'll see..

TM
Old 09-30-2007, 04:27 AM   #7
bigberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

I hope you work this out, be sure to post the outcome.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #8
anthonymoody

Well, it's resolved, but not fixed. Turns out that part of the problem was my sleuthing - it was either faulty, or I just screwed it up. I guess I was tired!

It turns out that the *only* time attachments were stripped were when sending to a particular email account - one with my ISP (which happens to be my primary account).

I originally had my ISP account set to forward to my blackberry.net account so that mail would come in real time (rathan than POP into it). Unfortunately, some time ago my ISP was tagged as a spammer by RIMs servers. So the BB would bounce messages forwarded to the blackberry.net account from my ISP account.

As a workaround, to maintain real-time delivery, I created a gmail account to handle the function. i forwarded the ISP account to the gmail account, and re-forwarded the gmail account to the blackberry.net account.

That worked fine - for a long time. Then I upgraded from an 8700g to an 8320, and I ran into the attachment problem.

Apparently, something about the double forward (from the ISP to gmail, from gmail to blackberry.net) would strip the attachments. The attachments arrive to the gmail account (I see them when I check on the web). But either gmail doesn't re-forward them with the message, OR something in the BB/BIS "sees" it as a re-forwarded message, and goes ahead and strips the attachments. There doesn't seem to be a setting in gmail to tell it to (or not to) re-forward attachments.

Rather than try to figure out why this was happening, RIM suggested simply setting up this gmail account on the BB. I was reluctant to do so since my experience (with my actual gmail account) is that it's not as fast or as reliable as messages sent to the blackberry.net account. But in the end I did do this and it seems to work fine.

Thanks,
TM
Old 10-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
cwosigns

Model: 9300
Carrier: AT&T

I can't receive any attachments sent to my [email address] address. I only get attachments on my other yahoo and Gmail accounts that I have set up.
Columbus, Ohio
Old 10-03-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
sgazda

Model: 8320
Default same

I myself am having tech issues with Gmail. I can view attachments, but can't save them anywhere. In fact, Gmail tends to freeze up every once in a while. (I've done the whole un/re install bit with no reward.) Anyone else having the same issue or find a fix? Thanks.
Closed Thread