Please Login to Remove!

Come on rivviepop..... I LOVE Suse!...
Old 03-02-2007, 06:24 AM   #22
HuwSy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

Currently running Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn <= who thinks of them) sticking to debian based distribs for a while as its so much easier to find deb based apt-get sources, apt is now avail on FC but findin rpm sources for it or yum is a pain imo. Before this FC6, but i couldnt find the odd few dependancies for some things and got bored of looking. Also had a half installed gentoo for about 2 hours until i realised it was going to take me 10+hours to dl and build gnome. Will have to try it again somepoint when iv the time free.

Also tried SuSE 10? and Mandriva 2007, good if youv no or slow internet and want to install everything off disc, but not enough sources for other testing or unstable packages without having to use webpages to find them.

Still need to try solaris 10 at some point tho.

Last edited by HuwSy; 03-02-2007 at 06:28 AM..
Old 03-02-2007, 06:30 AM   #23
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

My main problem is Suse is YaST.... It is still horrid.... I really wish Suse whould dump it...
Old 03-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #24
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Who all is using Linux on a Laptop?

I am using Suse 10.2 right now on a Sony FS980... Everything works right out of the box...

FC6 had an issue with my wireless ipw2200 card, that was easily solved.... Ubuntu worked right out the box on same laptop...
Old 03-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #25
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
Who all is using Linux on a Laptop?
*raises hand* I started with an Inspiron 4000 back in... 1998? (whenever) with Red Hat 5.1 or Red Hat 5.2 (now there was a painful experience); that same laptop is sitting under my stereo system right now running Fedora Core 4 - I snipped off the 'lid-closed-button' with a pair of pliers so it'll run all the time. I use it as my multimedia (mainly streaming shoutcast radio) server and rsync-backup server, I have 'mpd' installed and a PHP frontend and external LaCie USB disk. I'll run that thing until it melts, I paid $4000 USD for it new. :-/

Here's an old screenshot:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...pop/momo_1.png

My current laptop is a ThinkPad T43 (14.1" ATI-video variant) running Fedora Core 6. There've been a few in between (mainly old Dell Latitudes from work) that I've donated to less fortunate friends.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #26
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

LOL rivviepop.... I really did laugh out loud when I viewed the image.... Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
*raises hand* I started with an Inspiron 4000 back in... 1998? (whenever) with Red Hat 5.1 or Red Hat 5.2 (now there was a painful experience); that same laptop is sitting under my stereo system right now running Fedora Core 4 - I snipped off the 'lid-closed-button' with a pair of pliers so it'll run all the time. I use it as my multimedia (mainly streaming shoutcast radio) server and rsync-backup server, I have 'mpd' installed and a PHP frontend and external LaCie USB disk. I'll run that thing until it melts, I paid $4000 USD for it new. :-/

Here's an old screenshot:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...pop/momo_1.png

My current laptop is a ThinkPad T43 (14.1" ATI-video variant) running Fedora Core 6. There've been a few in between (mainly old Dell Latitudes from work) that I've donated to less fortunate friends.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #27
Chinasaur
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z30
Carrier: T-Mobile

Libranet 2.8.1 w/Flux
Old 03-25-2007, 07:52 PM   #28
xjdriver69

Model: 8800

Ubuntu 6.10, Left XP about a month ago and im never looking back!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #29
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Welcome to the forums! How you like Ubuntu???
Old 03-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #30
blakeatl

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdriver69
Ubuntu 6.10, Left XP about a month ago and im never looking back!!!
I still have a ton of stuff on an ntfs hard drive that I access through Ubuntu. I keep XP on a virtual drive whenever I have to access it. I fix computers as a side job and I'm an IT tech, so Windows is my bread and butter.....thanks Windows for keeping my job secure.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #31
xjdriver69

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
Welcome to the forums! How you like Ubuntu???
After dealing with almost every major Distro (Suse, Redhat6,7,8, FC5) I think ubuntu has a great idea with keeping it simple. Apt, IMHO is the greatest thing ever, well almost. I am a NOOB at best, but if i can do it anyone can do it. Ubuntu just needs iron out some little issues. After that ubuntu has the possibility to do great things. As for the bread and butter for windows, i cant agree more. I deal with a small portion of the windows users working in Tech support and they keep me employed. Thanks for the welcome!
Old 03-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #32
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Yes Ubuntu is an AWESOME distro.... I read a while back that they tried to lure Suse's developers over to their side....

I love Suse, but despise Yast.....
Old 03-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #33
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Back to Ubuntu I am..... Yast just irritated me to no end..... I was using SMART but Yast was still required for some things and I just can't take it anymore....

Back on 6.06 I now am!
Old 03-28-2007, 07:47 AM   #34
blakeatl

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Why not Edgy or Feisty Fawn?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:01 AM   #35
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Edgy *hates* my laptop, played with Feisty, and IMHO it's not ready (stable) enough to be used as a stand alone, everyday OS...

6.06 is ROCK solid, and it *loves* my laptop....

Since I just have my laptop and no other OS loaded, it's gotta work and it's gotta be stable...
Old 03-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #36
DaveAnderson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820

I've been using Linux to a various degree for over 10 years. One thing I always hated were the dependency nightmares - whether it be RPM or from source. So, needless to say, when I found Gentoo and Portgage, I fell in love. There's nothing better than typing 'emerge <application>' and to have it download, compile, and install the program - including any libraries, etc. Portgage isn't perfect, there are flaws, but for me it was still a dream come true.

I do dual boot, mainly because I'm a gamer and the selection of Linux games is fairly small (not using Cedega - only because of poor support and performance hit). My blackberry sync needs are done in Windows. I generally use gmail and don't have a lot of contacts, so I'm not losing much. I would love to be able to sync with Evolution under Linux, however. I know there is a wireless solution and I got pretty close with that, but I hit a bug no one seems to have a solution for.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #37
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAnderson
There's nothing better than typing 'emerge <application>' and to have it download, compile, and install the program - including any libraries, etc.
Just from the peanut gallery, this has been doable for many years on all platforms.

debian-esque: apt-get <foo>
redhat-esque: yum install <foo> (or apt-get <foo>)

And you don't have to waste time compiling to boot. I don't know about you, but apps like Firefox take forever and a day to compile and have a horrid litany of dependancies just to compile; having a binary DEB/RPM that only needs runtime deps I think is far, far superior.

(don't take this as a slam on Gentoo, it's not meant that way)
Old 03-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #38
DaveAnderson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
Just from the peanut gallery, this has been doable for many years on all platforms.

debian-esque: apt-get <foo>
redhat-esque: yum install <foo> (or apt-get <foo>)

And you don't have to waste time compiling to boot. I don't know about you, but apps like Firefox take forever and a day to compile and have a horrid litany of dependancies just to compile; having a binary DEB/RPM that only needs runtime deps I think is far, far superior.

(don't take this as a slam on Gentoo, it's not meant that way)
Understood.

Some argue that compiling from source gives better performance, but the difference I'm sure is negligible. It's certainly not why I use it. Compile times are an issue; Open Office was fun, but it's not a big deal for me. Even huge compiles I just do in the background. I have a P4-3.4, which helps, though big apps like Open Office and Firefox still take some time. But there's plenty I can do while they are compiling.

Debian always scared me for some reason, which is odd because Gentoo isn't exactly easy to install either. When I used Red Hat, there was no yum.

But you are right. I guess I just found Gentoo's portage first. The rest is history.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:35 PM   #39
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAnderson
Some argue that compiling from source gives better performance, but the difference I'm sure is negligible.
Yah, I've read studies and it pretty much seems it's application dependant more than it is distro specific. Having never really done any tests myself, I can't make too intelligent a comment on this...

Quote:
Compile times are an issue; Open Office was fun, but it's not a big deal for me.
Oh man you just made me shudder. Just getting all the crap installed to *run* OpenOffice (good lord why do I need java? *sigh*) makes me fear what pain it would be to compile that thing. I use it to edit complex spreadsheets from Excel that Gnumeric can't handle, but that's about it... (dang thing takes forever to start, too - and I'm on a 3GHz Xeon!)

OK I'm done OpenOffice ranting.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:05 PM   #40
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Ok so Ubuntu was short lived...... I am going to plop FreeBSD on tomorrow.... 6.2 is out...... Yeehaw!

Clicky -------) The FreeBSD Project
Closed Thread