Old 08-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria
Default Transferring select contacts between Outlook profiles

Please Login to Remove!

I have two separate Outlook profiles set up on my computer -- one for a Curve and the other for a Pearl, which are utilized by different people. Is it possible to transfer over select contacts from one Outlook profile to another? I tried exporting the contacts using Excel, but it ended up doing everything in the category and not just the selected ones I had highlighted.

(Sorry if I posted in the wrong section -- wasn't quite sure where this might go).
Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
peteyspambucket
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

The only way to do this that has worked for me is to use CATEGORIES in OUTLOOK. And then when you Synchronize for your respective devices, set them up to select only a specific value for Categories to be transferred to the device. For instance, you could create in Outlook, categories named "Device 1" and "Device 2". Then you would go through all your contacts and tag the contacts that are needed on each device with the right category. Outlook allows contacts to belong to more than one category.

Here are the steps to configure this with Blackberry Desktop Manager,
1) click "Configure synch" [sic].
2) Select "Address Book".
3) In the lower right corner, click "Configure",
4) choose "Advanced Settings",
5) Go to the "Filters" tab
6) Select "New..."
7) Give the filter a name
8) The filter dialog comes up. Click "Field" and select "Categories" from the list
9) In the "Value" field, put in "Device 1" or "Device 2"
10) Hit "OK" in the 3 windows that are opened.

You would do these 10 steps for each device you need to synchronize with the categories from Outlook.

This is how I solved this requirement. I hope this helps.

Good luck.
BlackBerry 7100t unlocked
Old 08-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Is it possible to transfer over select contacts from one Outlook profile to another? I tried exporting the contacts using Excel, but it ended up doing everything in the category and not just the selected ones I had highlighted.
Assuming this is a one time transfer then why not copy them to a PST? You can definitely verify what is and what isn't in the PST.

Be very careful with the profiles! It doesn't take much to sync the wrong BB to the wrong profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Sorry if I posted in the wrong section -- wasn't quite sure where this might go.
It's really more of an Outlook question than an 83xx question.

Last edited by takeshi; 08-04-2008 at 10:45 AM..
Old 08-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

I don't use separate profiles to sync different phone to Outlook. But I do use different contacts lists within Outlook. You can specify which contact list you want for each BB when you set up your sync criteria.

Example, you only want to use a subset of your main contacts list, so you create a second contact list. Select the contacts you want from the main one, right click and drag the item to the new contact list, release and select copy. (If you use Outlook 2007, this works better if you use folder list in your left pane.)

You can have multiple contacts lists within Outlook. I have separate ones for my Mom's phone, one for my Nokia, and one for my brother. Just realize that each one will have to be updated separately.

Last edited by TXLady; 08-04-2008 at 11:48 AM..
Old 08-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyspambucket View Post
The only way to do this that has worked for me is to use CATEGORIES in OUTLOOK. And then when you Synchronize for your respective devices, set them up to select only a specific value for Categories to be transferred to the device. For instance, you could create in Outlook, categories named "Device 1" and "Device 2". Then you would go through all your contacts and tag the contacts that are needed on each device with the right category. Outlook allows contacts to belong to more than one category.

Here are the steps to configure this with Blackberry Desktop Manager,
1) click "Configure synch" [sic].
2) Select "Address Book".
3) In the lower right corner, click "Configure",
4) choose "Advanced Settings",
5) Go to the "Filters" tab
6) Select "New..."
7) Give the filter a name
8) The filter dialog comes up. Click "Field" and select "Categories" from the list
9) In the "Value" field, put in "Device 1" or "Device 2"
10) Hit "OK" in the 3 windows that are opened.

You would do these 10 steps for each device you need to synchronize with the categories from Outlook.

This is how I solved this requirement. I hope this helps.

Good luck.
After Step #9, do I need to click "Add to List" and then okay? When I just clicked okay it didn't seem to do anything.

(Using Outlook XP/2002 BTW).
Closed Thread